Why can you see the Moon during the day?

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CommonMan

That was good, and I think I allmost understood what you were saying. :p

B

brandbll

Smersh":r9wdga65 said:
brandbll":r9wdga65 said:
Just recently there was an article about why you could see the Moon during the day. I didn't even bother to read such a conspiracy and i'm not sure why SDC even posted it. Everyone knows that what you see during the day isn't the moon, but is the reflection of the Earth off of the upper most level of the atmosphere. Just look at it closely and you can make out all the continents and oceans. If you have a pair of binoculars you can even see the only visible man made object from space, the Great Wall of China.

Hi Brandbll - sorry I only just got to this thread of yours and your very interesting theory. I still remember your ground-breaking (well, on the moon anyway) thread about NASA bombing the lunar landing sites with nukes to cover up ... erm ... I forget now. Well, whatever they were trying to cover up anyway. (You said some bloke at NASA told you IIRC - and no wonder the woo-woos call them "Never A Straight Answer.")

Anyway, when NASA bombed the moon with nukes, was this during the daytime or at night? If it was during the day, wouldn't that have presented problems with NASA getting confused and bombing the Earth instead?

(Just saying that's all.)

That guy ended up not being very credible. I found a new source within NASA. Turns out we did land on the Moon, only the moon is much closer to Earth and much smaller than we think. Also, there's an alien mining operation on the far side that we discovered. I'll see if i can dig up the whole post.

B

brandbll

trumptor":1i6kppxy said:
how come when you follow the reflection into dusk the actual moon gradually appears at the exact same place and continues to cross the sky in the same direction? How is this explained? Is what we see during the night still the same reflection and we've never actually seen our real moon or what?

Listen buddy, i'm not some sort of mathmetician here. I don't have all the answers to life, but i do know, as i think most people here do as well, that what you are seeing is NOT the Moon but acutally the reflection of the Earth. It's just a plain and simple fact. I'd draw you a graph of how it works and post it, but your talking to the guy who can't even get an avatar to work.

T

trumptor

Ok, then can you answer this....

Why does the Earth's reflection cause tides just as if there were a real moon out there in the same location? Did they figure out a way to make the reflection exert a gravitational pull? Or is the tide just a hologram to trick us into thinking there's a moon?

T

trumptor

Mee_n_Mac":gy7rftn3 said:
trumptor":gy7rftn3 said:
how come when you follow the reflection into dusk the actual moon gradually appears at the exact same place and continues to cross the sky in the same direction?

Isn't that what it's supposed to do ?

How is this explained?

Orbital mechanics.

Is what we see during the night still the same reflection and we've never actually seen our real moon or what?

Errrrr, what ?

I think you're gonna have to read about what is being proposed here :D . I was questioning why the "real" moon replaces the "Earth's reflection" at the same place.

B

brandbll

trumptor":12zj63fo said:
Ok, then can you answer this....

Why does the Earth's reflection cause tides just as if there were a real moon out there in the same location? Did they figure out a way to make the reflection exert a gravitational pull? Or is the tide just a hologram to trick us into thinking there's a moon?

WE have a tide because the Earth spins really fast. Here go outside and fill up a bucket with water, then holding the handle spin around in circle. You'll notice that the water doesn't just stay in one place but does. The Moon is only half the equation to tides, the Earth's rotation is the other half.

B

brandbll

trumptor":29qacj3f said:
Mee_n_Mac":29qacj3f said:
how come when you follow the reflection into dusk the actual moon gradually appears at the exact same place and continues to cross the sky in the same direction?

Isn't that what it's supposed to do ?

How is this explained?

Orbital mechanics.

Is what we see during the night still the same reflection and we've never actually seen our real moon or what?

Errrrr, what ?

I think you're gonna have to read about what is being proposed here :D . I was questioning why the "real" moon replaces the "Earth's reflection" at the same place.

It's just a simple coincidence. No scientific forumula or magic behind it, just plain and simple coincidence...

O

origin

I just had a really scary thought reading this thread. Brandbll isn't serious, is he? This is just a joke thread, right? Sometimes it is hard to tell....

B

brandbll

origin":17h4a2ki said:
I just had a really scary thought reading this thread. Brandbll isn't serious, is he? This is just a joke thread, right? Sometimes it is hard to tell....

Is reality a joke to you?

C

CommonMan

origin":2pvfs76z said:

I was thinking the same thing, I might be common, but I'm not stupid. I hope that there are not many people who are really confused with the real facts now.
:?

O

origin

brandbll":owapu99p said:
origin":owapu99p said:

Is reality a joke to you?

The funny parts are.

And I refuse to believe that you are serious, because someone that actually believed something so clearly absurd would probably not be capable of operating a computer.

E

Eman_3

Wow, as a newbie in here, I'm totally blown away by some people's concepts of the universe. It's a shame they never learned fundamental physics or astronomy.

Anyways, all the celestial bodies follow very regular paths as they cross the heavens. The sun will rise at a specific time, and it will set at a known and predicted time. Same with the moon, it's position is predictable and it's always where it's supposed to be. In fact, I know exactly where the moon is at this very moment, courtesy of some cool stuff on the internet. For example, http://www.nitehawk.com/rasmit/moontrak.html this web site, when given the proper data, will tell you exactly where to find the moon at any time.

When you see something that looks like the moon, I suggest you first establish the facts. Go to http://www.nitehawk.com/rasmit/moontrak.html and find out where the moon is supposed to be. I am willing to bet a lot of money that the moon that you see in the daylight is the moon that was predicted by software.

You claim that the moon is closer than what the public is lead to believe. Please provide proof. I can provide proof that the moon is 238,857 miles from the earth, center to center. Let's begin with http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2004/21jul_llr.htm

B

brandbll

Eman_3":3aoys6ta said:
When you see something that looks like the moon, I suggest you first establish the facts.

I completely agree, because there is a chance that you are making a common mistake and really looking at the reflection of the Earth...

Eman_3":3aoys6ta said:
You claim that the moon is closer than what the public is lead to believe. Please provide proof. I can provide proof that the moon is 238,857 miles from the earth, center to center. Let's begin with http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2004/21jul_llr.htm

That's your source, a website? Anything can be posted on a website. I have a very credible source within NASA who would like to remain anonymous who worked extremely close to the Apollo program and he gave me that information. It's extremely classified and you are all lucky that i even risked my butt and my source's butt to post it.

Q

quantumnumber

But if you were seeing the reflection of Earth, wouldn't it look like the Earth?

E

Eman_3

brandbll":92rop6w0 said:
Eman_3":92rop6w0 said:

That's your source, a website? Anything can be posted on a website. I have a very credible source within NASA who would like to remain anonymous who worked extremely close to the Apollo program and he gave me that information. It's extremely classified and you are all lucky that i even risked my butt and my source's butt to post it.

First off, you must have missed the "Let's begin with" because I am capable of offering more than one proof. If you wish, I can dig out some of my old astronomy books, and describe in detail how you can measure the distance from the earth to moon with very simple tools.

Second, when you offer the old " a friend on the inside told me, but I cannot reveal my sources" that doesn't work with me. I do not believe you. Instead, provide proof.

M

MeteorWayne

Eman_3":3twtdho1 said:

You shouldn't be so sure. First of all, that's only the average distance (and why are you using miles? yuck!) so it is at that distance only two instants per month. The moon's orbit is quite eccentric with apogee about 12% larger than perigee or nearly 42,600 km.

Second, the moon is receding from the earth by about 2.5 cm per year (that's an inch, btw :) ) so if you are giving an orbital distance, you should specify the epoch...although it does take over 63,000 years to add a mile ;)

MW

E

Eman_3

Aww heck, I couldn't wait.

Here is how anyone with simple tools and capable of making simple geometry calculations can figure out the distance from moon to earth, or the size of the earth, or sun.

http://galileoandeinstein.physics.virginia.edu/lectures/gkastr1.html

And geez, they did this 300BC

My bad Wayne, I should have used metric. I assumed that since many are from the USA and are familiar with the Imperial system, I converted so they could understand without themselves doing the conversion. Very wierd, since I'm Canadian and we use metric.
And I should have specified the epoch. I don't even qualify as an amateur astronomer, so sometimes my thought processes are not as clear and lucid as expected. But that's why I am here, to learn from you guys.

Q

quantumnumber

CommonMan":3pev5dcm said:
quantumnumber":3pev5dcm said:
But if you were seeing the reflection of Earth, wouldn't it look like the Earth?

Oh.....not you too! :eek:

hahaha, I know the moon is not a reflection of the Earth. That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard!

T

tanstaafl76

The orbital mechanics and variations of the moon's orbit is probably the longest studied and best understood concepts in Astronomy, so it's richly ironic that this eventually found its way to "The Unexplained." I'm assuming this whole thread is one big troll.

But I've always found a much more interesting conversation is trying to predict the full spectrum of consequences if the moon suddenly disappeared, or got knocked off kilter by NEA or some such. I'm reminded of the scene from The Time Machine where he pops into the future and looks up to see the moon fracturing as a result of overmining. Eep!

S

Smersh

MeteorWayne":7lcv2c11 said:
... (and why are you using miles? yuck!) ...

Because miles are the way it should be, in my opinion. I'm getting absolutely fed up with all this "kilometres" stuff that keeps getting bandied about these days, to be honest. Ok I understand that it's easier to work out, with everying based on the decimal system but it tends to make our brains lazy because we don't have to think so much. Is it really that hard to remember that 12 inches = 1 foot, or 8 furlongs = 1 mile or 3 and a half miles = 1 league? Ok it takes a little more time to think about it, but it's good cerebral excercise and has so much more character than boring centimetres, kilometres etc.

MeteorWayne":7lcv2c11 said:
... Second, the moon is receding from the earth by about 2.5 cm per year (that's an inch, btw :) ...

Sorry Wayne but this is incorrect I'm afraid. The moon is receding from the earth at a rate of 1 and a half inches per year (or, if you insist, 3.8 centimeters) not 1 inch as you claim.

http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/questi ... number=124

T

TC_sc

Brandbll, I just want to say, that even if you might be over qualified since starting this thread, you are perfect for Operation Area 51 Freedom. While on the long bus ride you could give us Lunar fun facts :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts