Why is it we always see towards the center of the Milky Way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

ZenGalacticore

Why is it that we always see, from Earth, towards the Sagitarius arm and the center of the Milky Way galaxy? How come, at least half the year, we don't see outward towards the Perseus arm? It seems that being on a spinning planet that we would sometimes be oriented towards 'outward'. But we are always looking toward the center. Why in the samhill is that?

B

Boris_Badenov

The Sol System orbits the Milky Way with the South Pole pointing a few degres off of our general direction of travel. As you can see here.
http://www.telusplanet.net/public/fener ... C.html#top

This National Geographic Map is posted on the wall of my office & is an excellent resource for quick answers like how the Earth is oriented in relation to the Galaxy as a whole.
http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/shop ... iewcount=1

Anyway, depending on how close you are to the Poles, you can see toward Sagittarius during the Summer & toward the Orion Arm during the winter.

edited for bad speeling. :oops:

M

MeteorWayne

ZenGalacticore":avdpajav said:
Why is it that we always see, from Earth, towards the Sagitarius arm and the center of the Milky Way galaxy? How come, at least half the year, we don't see outward towards the Perseus arm? It seems that being on a spinning planet that we would sometimes be oriented towards 'outward'. But we are always looking toward the center. Why in the samhill is that?

You are wrong. When the sun is in Sagittarius, the night sky faces the other direction.

C

crazyeddie

Boris_Badenov":28zy89zq said:
This National Geographic Map is posted on the wall of my office & is an excellent resource for quick answers like hoe the Earth is oriented in relation to the Galaxy as a whole.

Anyway, depending on how close you are to the Poles, you can see toward Sagittarius during the Summer & toward the Orion Arm during the winter.

What a very cool interactive map! thanks for posting it!

Z

ZenGalacticore

MeteorWayne":18b9qrtd said:
ZenGalacticore":18b9qrtd said:

You are wrong. When the sun is in Sagittarius, the night sky faces the other direction.

I am? Well, from anywhere in the States I've never seen anything other than towards the center of the Milky Way. I don't doubt you, but that's all I've ever seen. They say it all the time too in documentaries: "When we look up to the night sky and the Milky Way, we are looking towards the center of the galaxy."

Z

ZenGalacticore

Boris_Badenov":kw9g8ju8 said:
The Sol System orbits the Milky Way with the South Pole pointing a few degres off of our general direction of travel. As you can see here.
http://www.telusplanet.net/public/fener ... C.html#top

This National Geographic Map is posted on the wall of my office & is an excellent resource for quick answers like hoe the Earth is oriented in relation to the Galaxy as a whole.

Thanks Boris. Yeah, cool 'you are here' map. I've seen that before. I guess I need to renew my subscription to Nat'l Geo. So, since most people live far from the Poles, that's why most people always see towards the center of the galaxy. Again, thanks.

N

nimbus

Open up Celestia and see for yourself. The US is pointed roughly away from the milky way's core right now. How could the a planet rotating on itself and around a star never point anywhere but at the galactic core?

M

MeteorWayne

ZenGalacticore":tw36lr83 said:
I am? Well, from anywhere in the States I've never seen anything other than towards the center of the Milky Way. I don't doubt you, but that's all I've ever seen. They say it all the time too in documentaries: "When we look up to the night sky and the Milky Way, we are looking towards the center of the galaxy."

Well then you don't look at the right times, or you don't know what you are looking at. That's not uncommon, few people do, since the center of the galaxy is much brighter and is visible during the summer when most people have the desire to look :) Do you know what direction in the sky it is opposite the center of the Milky Way? If not, how can you make such a statement?

Z

ZenGalacticore

Yeah, I think I do. Looking opposite from the center one would be looking out towards the Orion spur and the Perseus arm. Again, I'm not making statements here Wayne, I'm asking questions. My statement refers only to what I've always heard astronomers saying on documentaries related to this subject. I've never once heard any of them say 'At certain times of the year we are looking outward-opposite the center- from the Milky Way. That's all. Geez, lighten up. Astronomy, while it interests me, is not my specialty.

M

MeteorWayne

Just FYI, looking outward from our position in the Milky Way is between Taurus and Gemini.

Z

ZenGalacticore

MeteorWayne":1yevflnu said:
Just FYI, looking outward from our position in the Milky Way is between Taurus and Gemini.

Well that's why I'm asking questions. Thanks for the info. But are we not interior to the Perseus arm? And are we not a part of the Orion spur?

B

Boris_Badenov

ZenGalacticore":1xbjuln1 said:
So, since most people live far from the Poles, that's why most people always see towards the center of the galaxy. Again, thanks.

Either you didn't look at the map or you misinterpreted what you saw.
During the winter the Sun is between the Earth & the Galactic Center & we can only see towards the outer edge of the Galaxy (on the night side of the Earth). In that direction we are looking at the Orion Arm. In about a month the Teapot Constellation will become visible from where I live in Show Low AZ toward the Southern horizon. Sagittarius is in this Constellation & Earth will have orbited far enough around the Sun for it to become visible (again on the night side of the Earth). The Orion Arm will then be on the opposite side of the Sun from the perspective of Earth.

M

MeteorWayne

MW picking nits :)
The Tepot is an asterism in the constellation Sagittarius. I think that's what you meant to say, Boris, but your fingers betrayed you ;)

B

Boris_Badenov

MeteorWayne":271um8sq said:
MW picking nits :)
The Tepot is an asterism in the constellation Sagittarius. I think that's what you meant to say, Boris, but your fingers betrayed you ;)

:oops: As usual, you're absolutely right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts