Why launch from Florida?

Page 3 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

ZenGalacticore

zwheel":1hlgbgdw said:
ZenGalacticore":1hlgbgdw said:
I would add, on a related subject that politics- while not playing a part in choosing Florida for the actual launches- did play a part in locating the Johnson Spaceflight center in Texas; the JPL in Pasadena, CA; and the Marshall Spaceflight Center in Huntsville, AL, etc. For the same reasons-one reason anyway- that military bases are spread around, to share the employment and economic fallout of the space program on a more national level, since all taxpayers are paying for it it's only fair and equatible to do so.

Really? Do you mean spread throughout the South? Ok, I understand why they launch from as close to the equator as possible but we could at least get some administrative building or better yet some manufacturing work creating jobs up here. How about something in Michigan to help replace the dead automotive industry? More tax dollars have come from the North for decades and yet more get spent in the South.

Actually, perhaps more important than the money. How about spreading things around a bit better so that more of us can have something going on locally. Part of NASA's goal is inspiring the youth to become the next generation of engineers, explorers, etc... right? It's hard to be inspired when these things all happen 1000 miles away at best.

Um, what in the heck are you talking about and/or implying?

NO! I don't mean "spread throughout the 'South' "! Did you not read my other posts on this thread? I clearly stated that it wouldn't hurt to put more space/NASA related facilities randomly around the country so that others besides Texans, Floridians, Californians, and Alabamans could see more clearly the benefits of the space program.

And don't give me that bull about 'more money being spent on the South'. Plenty of federal welfare funds go to Michigan and Ohio. I know several single-moms up there!

And without the "South", not only would the rest of the country be in a moral and ethical wasteland, none of us would have Rock 'n Roll!!! :lol:

***MODERATOR HAT ON***

Please everyone,

This is a Missions & Launches forum. Many of the more recent threads on here are turning very political, almost to trhe point that they will be moved to Free Space, where of course political discussion is welcome.

There has been precious little regarding actual Missions & Launches on here over the past week or so & certainly since the conclusion of STS 127 Endeavour & the political diatribe on here is quite frankly getting boring, repetitive & is off topic.

This thread is a very good informative one, just starting to degenerate, but hopefully can stay in M & L, but the NASA, A Step in the wrong direction thread is certainly now Free Space material, despite the sterling efforts of Jon Clarke to keep it on topic & non political.

I will seek advice on that being moved to Free Space.

***MODERATOR HAT OFF***

Andrew Brown.

C

concordeflyer

I did a tour of the Johnson Space Center Houston in 1994 and the tour guide said that shuttle launch facilities were built in Florida, California and at JSC which he then took us to see, but I've never heard of this Houston facility mentioned again. Is it still there?
Ray. UK/USA

S

shuttle_guy

concordeflyer":3am2xqer said:
I did a tour of the Johnson Space Center Houston in 1994 and the tour guide said that shuttle launch facilities were built in Florida, California and at JSC which he then took us to see, but I've never heard of this Houston facility mentioned again. Is it still there?
Ray. UK/USA

There were never any Shuttle launch facilities at JSC. The only California launch facility for Shuttle was to be at Vandenberg Air Force Base (pad SL6) however that plan was killed after the Challenger accident in 1986.

S

sillyrabbit

On a different note. If you get the chance to see the shuttle land, by all means do it. It's a sight that you will never forget, and no matter how tough you are, your eyes will leak. :eek:

I was only 23 when I saw the shuttle land at Edwards AFB, I will never forget its beauty, and the pride I felt that morning. I assure you, it's nothing like you see on TV, take the family, you won't regret it. I’m only sorry that NASA has opted to use Edwards as an alternative these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts