Why was the "astronaut arrested" thread locked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

askold

I think it has a great deal of relevance to the Missions and Launches forum.<br /><br />A short while ago I posted a thread about the Biodome I folks - all the (human) conflict that was going on inside and jeopardizing the mission. I made the point that this was human nature and would affect all long-duration missions to the moonand mars.<br /><br />The response I got back was - no, no, NASA selects its astronauts better than the yahoos in Biodome.<br /><br />Well, maybe not.<br /><br />How human frailties might affect a NASA mission is an appropriate discussion for this board and should not be dismissed to "Free space".

M

MeteorWayne

As stated in the thread, there is a duplicate in Free Space that is currently open.<br /><br />Also, This thread does not belong here, rather it should be in Suggestions and Announcements. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

C

CalliArcale

The general discussion of dealing with human nature in spaceflight is acceptable for this forum. However, there is already a thread in Free Space about this particular astronaut's criminal activity on Earth. So if you want to discuss the particulars of that specific case, please use the thread in Free Space. (There's really no reason to duplicate discussion.) But if you wish to discuss more generally, that would indeed be fine here. In fact, I think it would be beneficial to have a thread which is not specifically about her case but about the larger issues that her case raises. But that didn't appear to be the point of the previous thread here in M&L. That looked like exactly the same topic as the Free Space discussion. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#666699"><em>"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly . . . timey wimey . . . stuff."</em>  -- The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

A

askold

Never mind about the larger issue - half the posters will say this is an anomaly and half will say this proves the point that long-duration missions are doomed because of human nature.<br /><br />The threads on Free Space on this topic are pretty entertaining. I'll go post there.<br /><br />You want me to delete this thread?

C

CalliArcale

You can't, but I can delete it if you want me to. Otherwise, if we leave it here it might help clear up any lingering confusion about the thread that got locked. It's probably best just to let this thread fade on its own, and open up a new one if anyone wants to discuss the nagging issue of how to deal with personnel issues in spaceflight. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#666699"><em>"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly . . . timey wimey . . . stuff."</em>  -- The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

R

robnissen

I suggest leaving this thread open. I never go to free space, I'm not interested in discussing the stock market, da bears, Iraq, or the other things that tend to end up in free space. At least with this thread here, I now know to go look in free space.

J

JonClarke

If you want to discuss this issue, use the free space thread here. If this thread is used to discuss the subject, it will be locked. More than one thread on this sad subject is superfluous and down right purient.<br /><br />Jon <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

All he was saying was leave the thread open so users will be directed to Free Space. He was not suggesting further discussion if I read him correctly. To let the thread die, this will be my last comment here. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

M

mikeemmert

News media is full of stories about NFL players, TV actors, movie stars, and rock 'n roll musicians being arrested or getting drunk & whatnot. Nobody locks those discussions.<br /><br />There are also a few stories about the problems in prison. Of the categories in the last paragraph, I would guess musicians in touring bands are the closest to astronauts, what with close proximity in practice sessions and long trips, and also having to operate complicated musical instruments. They are not confined, however, and can get out occasionally. Prisoners are not allowed to get out. Astronauts cannot get out.<br /><br />There are, of course, different types of personalities in each group. Prisoner's personality problems are well known, both from published studies and anecdotal evidence in certain cases.<br /><br />We don't know very much at all about astronauts, unfortunately. The press and the corps are very protective of these aspects of astronaut's lives. All we get are perfect whitewashed stories about perfect brainwashed clones.<br /><br />That's what posting policy in this case looks like. <br /><br />It is my understanding that a Mir astronaut (I refuse to use the Russian word until I learn Russian) had a nervous breakdown, but the amount of information that I was able to find about that case amounts to less information than is found in this post. Really, to reach any conclusions about the subject of general interest, one would have to discuss that particular case.<br /><br />One of the stories in Florida concerns the little known fact that astronauts have nicknames. It turns out that this might be a bad practice and there might need to be a policy against it. I have a zero tolerance <b>policy</b> for userid distortions and report them instantly. To see how this could create problems, I have to mention the case currently in the news.<br /><br />They called her "Robochick".<br /><br />Could this have created a need for her to express herself emotionally?

C

CalliArcale

Can you please take it to the existing thread on the subject? Fre Space: WTF! Astronaut Arrested for Kidnapping and Battery<br /><br />Regarding posting policy, please discuss that in Suggestions.<br /><br />If you want to discuss the possible negative implications of astronauts having nicknames, please open a new thread for that. I will now lock this thread. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#666699"><em>"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly . . . timey wimey . . . stuff."</em>  -- The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts