• Ask your space questions of a real life astrophysicist with our latest AMA by clicking here!

Will 2020 Be the Year We Find Intelligent Alien Life?

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Jan 7, 2020
Not the Annunaki because they could have found larger deposits of gold on other planets. Mining gold is one of background stories of the Annunaki. Supposedly they came to Earth during human cave man days, educated humanity and then enslaved humanity to work the gold mines. A space faring race such as the Annunaki wouldn't simply have left Earth, they would taken all of the gold that they were able to extract. Even going to the lengths of building large refineries underground to harvest the gold from the liquid magma that flows to the surface and creates volcanoes. Those refineries would also have been able to produce mass quantities of other minerals and ores needed by a space faring civilization. Something else happened to drew the Annunaki away from Earth along with most of their advanced technology. Maybe they found a much larger and easier to mine planet of gold.
The filthy aliens tried to invade, but we dealt with them and destroyed their satellite back in the early 60's. That was all back during the 1st space war, we did not even have a proper space force at the time, but we still showed those aliens. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-altitude_nuclear_explosion

Joking aside, I wonder if anyone would want to contact us after seeing that. I was unaware of the amount of insanity we had allowed to occur. This is the same reason the Bikini Atoll is still uninhabitable. Although aliens would know it would be a waste time coming here for resources, so we do not have to worry about that. Asteroids can be mined much more efficiently than on a planet, if you intend on transporting materials through space to another location.

Reactions: Dwight Huth
Jan 10, 2020
The answer is simple "we don't know". We are missing an important part of the drake equation, the statistical likelihood of abiogenisis occurring. It may be billions of times less than planets in the observable universe, we don't know. I suspect the likelihood of subterranean microbes on Mars is high. This is simply due to the following facts. Mars was more suitable to life a few billion years ago. Microbes can survive for a period of time inside meteors (which means events like the meteor that caused dinosaur extinction could easily transfer earth rock to Mars). There is liquid subterranean water on Mars (as the environment became inhospitable, anaerobic microbes may have simply gone underground). Subterranean methane releases have been detected on Mars. Mars life will, more than likely, simply be extended Earth life, same DNA and amino acids. I believe panspermia to and from other star systems is less likely. If we are totally alone, SETI will always seem a failure and we will always live in hope.

Jan 13, 2020
After reading this report and others like it- there seems to be a critical assumption at the foundation. The well attested scientific law of abiogenesis is at work throughout the universe so we will likely find E.T. phoning home, some day :) A good theory needs to be testable - and falsifiable too.
You are confusing yourself. Abiogenesis is a foregone conclusion. The theory of abiogenesis describes the process itself, just as the theory of Star formation describes the process of formation of a star. Saying "a star formed" is not a scientific theory that must meet the "falsifiable" standard; it is an axiom. So your error is to point at the statement "life formed" and try to undermine it by calling it a bad theory that cannot be falsified.

You would be offbase in the same way to point at the idea "a star formed" and saying it is a theory that cannot be falsified. It's not a theory, it is an axiom, in a deterministic universe governed by laws. Abiogenesis is an axiom, in the same way.

Similarly, evolution is a fact. The theory of evolution describes how evolution acted on life on earth to produce the diversity of species we observe today. Don't confuse the two principles.

Last edited:
Reactions: Truthseeker007
Jan 13, 2020
The counter-argument to "Rare Earth" is that, yes you need all those unlikely things to create Earth-like life. But other kinds of life will arise in other environments.
EXACTLY, thank you. This "rare earth" argument applies only to finding life exactly as we have it on Earth. And it is a specious argument anyway, as it involves arbitrary assignment of arbitrary probabilities to arbitrarily chosen events. It's the Hoyle fallacy, thinly veiled, by which the probability of any event can be reduced to virtually zero. It's a useless bit of specious rhetoric, in my opinion.

Feb 12, 2020
After reading this report and others like it- there seems to be a critical assumption at the foundation. The well attested scientific law of abiogenesis is at work throughout the universe so we will likely find E.T. phoning home, some day :) A good theory needs to be testable - and falsifiable too.
Stothers 2007 NASA

Stothers, R., 2007: Unidentified flying objects in classical antiquity. Classical J., 103, 79-92.
A combined historical and scientific approach is applied to ancient reports of what might today be called unidentified flying objects (UFOs). Many conventionally explicable phenomena can be weeded out, leaving a small residue of puzzling reports. These fall neatly into the same categories as modern UFO reports, suggesting that the UFO phenomenon, whatever it may be due to, has not changed much over two millennia.

https://pubs.giss.nasa.gov/abs/st02710y.html

Dec 21, 2019
We will never find any evidence of alien life, intelligent or otherwise. We have enough trouble finding intelligent life here, on Earth.

Nov 16, 2019
We will never find any evidence of alien life, intelligent or otherwise. We have enough trouble finding intelligent life here, on Earth.
Witty but almost certainly false, we will find life it's only a question of when. As time and technology progresses our ability to detect signs of intelligent life will increase. Best guess before 2100 we will have detected some signs of other intelligent life. Of course this is all barring we don't destroy ourselves first...

Jun 8, 2020
Jun 8, 2020
Is 2020 the celestial payoff year, in which astronomers finally confirm a "technosignature" coming from an advanced alien civilization?

Will 2020 Be the Year We Find Intelligent Alien Life? : Read more
That would be very interesting, but I feel it is a remote possibility. Let me explain: If there were a planet exactly like ours and the same age, if they did not get an asteroid hit them and kill off the dinosaurs we would be trying to talk to dinosaurs and not humans. If they wee a thousand light years away, they would not here us for another 900 years and we would not here them for another 900 years. To communicate it would take 2 thousand years to say hello and get a hello back. Rather hard to carry on a conversation that way, given our lifespan.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2020
Have you guys never heard of Steven Greer?
Watch his movies and be convinced that there is and for a long time have been extraterrestrial life visiting us.

We can contact them ourselfs and have have done so in my own backyard.

His latest movie 'close encounters of the fifth kind'
Explains it all.

Go look him up on Google.

COLGeek

Apr 3, 2020
Have you guys never heard of Steven Greer?
Watch his movies and be convinced that there is and for a long time have been extraterrestrial life visiting us.

We can contact them ourselfs and have have done so in my own backyard.

His latest movie 'close encounters of the fifth kind'
Explains it all.

Go look him up on Google.
This guy?

Flashy and certainly entertaining, but not terribly convincing.

Jun 19, 2020
Yes, thats the one.

Then you should watch his movies.
I follow what he has to say for 10 years now.

There is a lot of garbage out there, but just can't get around this guy.

Just hear what he has to say.

Jun 28, 2020
In my opinion, "Intelligent Life" has existed on Earth for millions of years. Humans are slowly catching up.

-Wolf sends
I don't know if this was supposed to be a joke or sarcasm...

But what could possibly be more relatively intelligent than human on this planet ???
some invisible energy lifeforms ??

Dec 11, 2019
I don't know if this was supposed to be a joke or sarcasm...

But what could possibly be more relatively intelligent than human on this planet ???
some invisible energy lifeforms ??
Something to ponder:

Did ancient astronauts seed the human race? If so, what was their agenda? Have these ancient astronauts used planet Earth as a place for their 'science projects', creating race after race using biogenetic manipulation, then wiping everything out and starting again?

Jul 6, 2020
It seems to me that the subject of extraterrestrial "life" in the universe has been extremely limited by the various scientist in the field. I have never yet seen or heard of an article or discussion of any type regarding what I would consider the first question to be asked. How many senses (as in receptors) might they be in the universe? Humans we know have 5 some animals on earth have more (ex- bats) & others have different senses than humans (ex-moles). Humans only know what their receptors pick up but obviously the universe may be capable of sending out many more stimuli than our receptors can recieve. If we hypothesize there are say 20 potential stimuli in the universe and humans capable of digesting but 5 of these then "we" can only hope to understand (on our best day) 20% of all knowledge the universe has to offer. The one caveat here might be the introduction of math as a "sixth sense."My point being there may be extraordinary forms of "life" all around us without us being aware.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS