Will MPL2 or MSL be able to steer away from boulders?

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

willpittenger

I figure that if MSL or MPL2 (Mars Pheonix Lander) had a downward facing camera, they could use AI software to see rocks and steer away from them. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

J

JonClarke

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I figure that if MSL or MPL2 (Mars Pheonix Lander) had a downward facing camera, they could use AI software to see rocks and steer away from them. <br />Posted by willpittenger</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;They do have downward facing cameras but cannot use them to avoid hazards.&nbsp; Pheonix won't be using its camera because of software issues http://www.msss.com/msl/mardi/news/12Nov07/index.html<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

C

Cygnus_2112

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I figure that if MSL or MPL2 (Mars Pheonix Lander) had a downward facing camera, they could use AI software to see rocks and steer away from them. <br /> Posted by willpittenger</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;It doesn't have obstacle avoidance capability</p><p>&nbsp;</p>

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS