Will the warp drive be possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rocketmonkey

They have designed it. They have published it. Do you think they will make it? When do you think they will make it?

What design do you think will work?

I think the expanding/ contracting design will work.

N

nimbus

Do you know any of their names? Where did they publish what you're describing?

D

Dimension_X

I think it will be possible in about 150 Years of so?

D

Dimension_X

I don't think we'll be ready to go into beyond our solar system unil around then.

C

crazyeddie

Dimension_X":2uenkvg2 said:
I think it will be possible in about 150 Years of so?

From Wiki:

While thought experiments on the wilder shores of theoretical physics continue to be formed, no scheme that may allow travel at warp velocity has yet been devised that has also been accepted by mainstream science. Some physicists have proposed a model of FTL travel, formulated in the context of Lorentzian manifolds, which are used in general relativity to construct space-time models. However, contrary to a common misconceptions, these models are in no sense solutions to the Einstein field equation, and they give no knowledge as to how a warp bubble might actually be established.[citation needed]

These models do however show that while it is indeed impossible to exceed the speed of light, in principle it might be possible to circumvent the problem by suitably "warping" spacetime itself. The most renowned theory, known as the Alcubierre drive, uses terminology in accord with Star Trek jargon: "warp factors" measure the warping of space-time, not the magnitude of actual velocity. In his book The Physics of Star Trek, Lawrence Krauss states that while it is possible to actually travel at a velocity greater than that of light via warp drive, huge amounts of negative energy are required to make it work. Gardiner developed a timetable for the development of the warp drive from analyses of history.[3] He concluded the realization of the warp drive might be achieved around the year 2180.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warp_drive

M

MeteorWayne

Dimension_X":1eqbyi77 said:
I don't think we'll be ready to go into beyond our solar system unil around then.

That's not an answer. Whay around then? Is there some revolutionary breakthrough you are aware of that makes that timeframe likely, or are you just making stuff up?

B

bdewoody

I think the OP is referring to Michio Kaku's program last week in which he described a theoretical way to travel beyond the speed of light using negative energy. It is all supposedly possible with one catch, the amount of energy needed to establish a field around the starship and make space move. It was an entertaining program but not a real blueprint on how to build and operate such a system.

R

rocketmonkey

bdewoody":2zmvd0gy said:
I think the OP is referring to Michio Kaku's program last week in which he described a theoretical way to travel beyond the speed of light using negative energy. It is all supposedly possible with one catch, the amount of energy needed to establish a field around the starship and make space move. It was an entertaining program but not a real blueprint on how to build and operate such a system.

Yes, that is exactly what I am referring to. :ugeek:

J

JasonChapman

Oh dear, I’ve really started something now haven’t I with my ‘First Interplanetary Spaceships’ and ‘Just how practical is the USS Enterprise’ posts. Note to mods ‘Sorry’

I guess the TV program you’re talking about was on US TV what was it called?

I have just watched this clip on youtube, this guy seems like a bit of a mad scientist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnkE2yQPw6s

R

rocketmonkey

I kind of regret posting this topic.

Duh the warp drive be possible :roll: :oops:

S

StarRider1701

rocketmonkey":3jv1omb4 said:

Don't worry about MeteorWayne and a few others like him. He has this automatic Pavlovian response to anyone even hinting that FTL is possible. "What? Show me the math! How do the equations work? Let me see the scematics of your working model!" Rather than having an imagination and maybe helping to make it possible, he's the kind of guy who would have condemned Gallileo for uttering the total Blasphemy of its day - "the Universe does not revolve around the Earth."

Its ok to dream. The dreamers will make FTL possible even as the MeteorWaynes of this world refuse to admit the possibility. As I've said in several other posts, if FTL isn't possible, then we as a race will be doomed to a meager existance here in this solar system, always looking out at the grandeur of our Galaxy but never able to go anywhere! I just don't see that happening...

M

MeteorWayne

I have no problem with it being here in science fiction. I do object when it is inserted in the science fora, when everything that science indicates shows that FTL travel is impossible.

Here in Sci Fi, you are free to make up any ol' thing that doesn't or can't exist.

Z

ZenGalacticore

rocketmonkey":30722xzg said:

Duh the warp drive be possible :roll: :oops:

This is hardly the first thread about warp drive and "faster than light travel". And I doubt seriously it will be the last. I've been here over a year-and-a-half, and there's been at least 10 similar threads in that short time.

We're just going to have to get used to the fact that for the foreseeable future, and probably for centuries to come, space travel is going to be painfully slow, relative to the speed of light. And warping spacetime around as if it were a toy, sure, maybe in a thousand or ten thousand years. Or maybe never.

S

StarRider1701

We are in our infancy as a space faring race, so there is much that we have not yet learned. Warp drive is a wonderful dream and we shouldn't stop dreaming it! But expecting us to be able to build a 'Starship Enterprise' now is kind of like expecting those Chinese folks who invented gunpowder 5,000 yrs ago to immediately build a Vulcan 20MM gatling cannon that can fire 3,000 rounds per minute. NO. We still have much learning and growing to do. Fortunately, we are learning and growing a little bit every day... :cool:

R

rocketmonkey

StarRider1701":1onutogz said:
rocketmonkey":1onutogz said:

Don't worry about MeteorWayne and a few others like him. He has this automatic Pavlovian response to anyone even hinting that FTL is possible. "What? Show me the math! How do the equations work? Let me see the scematics of your working model!" Rather than having an imagination and maybe helping to make it possible, he's the kind of guy who would have condemned Gallileo for uttering the total Blasphemy of its day - "the Universe does not revolve around the Earth."

Its ok to dream. The dreamers will make FTL possible even as the MeteorWaynes of this world refuse to admit the possibility. As I've said in several other posts, if FTL isn't possible, then we as a race will be doomed to a meager existance here in this solar system, always looking out at the grandeur of our Galaxy but never able to go anywhere! I just don't see that happening...

I'm not regretting it because there are skeptics! :x It's because its so obviously going to be made. I now ask myself why i posted it. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts