Would it be possible to fly on the moon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DavidSmafield

Just a hypothetical question here. If sometime in the future we made some sort of a giant pressurized dome habitat on the moon would it be possible for me to fly around in it wearing a wing suit like that Icarus guy from the Greek myth.

Y

yevaud

As in the old Heinlein story? Yes, as long as the gas pressure within the dome was sufficient, why not?

Y

Yuri_Armstrong

A more interesting question is could aircraft that we use on Earth work normally flying on the near vacuum environment of the moon?

Y

yevaud

Simply, no. Airplanes are aerodynamic creatures that require atmosphere for lift to keep them aloft.

K

kelvinzero

DavidSmafield":1vt38lhl said:
Just a hypothetical question here. If sometime in the future we made some sort of a giant pressurized dome habitat on the moon would it be possible for me to fly around in it wearing a wing suit like that Icarus guy from the Greek myth.

people have gotten peddle powered planes to work on earth so we could certainly do much much better than this anyway:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human-powered_aircraft.

J

James_Bull

Yuri_Armstrong":37cmhynl said:
A more interesting question is could aircraft that we use on Earth work normally flying on the near vacuum environment of the moon?

That's not more interesting at all; the answer is a blatently obvious no! I thought you were joking at first...

Would be amazing to be able to fly around in a huge glass dome. I wonder would it be difficult to work and walk/move around in 1/6 gravity, without the encumberance of an extremely heavy spacesuit. I saw a video of a parabolic flight where the flew to simulate gravity on the moon and people just needed to barely tip the floor and they were in the airborne!

Y

Yuri_Armstrong

yevaud":6y7f0eiq said:
Simply, no. Airplanes are aerodynamic creatures that require atmosphere for lift to keep them aloft.

So what would be required for a plane to fly on the moon?

J

James_Bull

Yuri_Armstrong":29d0dmgc said:
yevaud":29d0dmgc said:

Either an atmosphere or an orbit! :?

Y

yevaud

James_Bull":uijk6wfp said:
Yuri_Armstrong":uijk6wfp said:
yevaud":uijk6wfp said:

Either an atmosphere or an orbit! :?

Yeah. By definition, without atmosphere, it would properly be a rocket. As Wayne said, notice the "air" part in "airplane."

Interestingly, the F-15, for example, would make a swell rocket (it produces more thrust than it weighs, or masses more properly in space). Except, without any atmosphere, it couldn't be controlled in any way (except varying the thrust of the two engines).

Which wouldn't work anyways, because they have no oxidizer without an atmosphere...

Better to stick with rockets that are designed as rockets (and skip the spaceborne airplanes). They work oh so much better.

B

Boris_Badenov

In Ben Bova's Grand Tour series they have a relatively large open area in Selene City were they rent out wings to Tourists so they can fly around. I suspect it would be physically demanding but possible.

A

adrenalynn

An airplane on the moon outside of an artificial environment?

The moon's atmospheric is about 10[super]-11[/super] Torr. The best your vacuum cleaner could possibly hope for is around 500 Torr, assuming it's an industrial shopvac. Just for a little scale of why that could never work. Airplane's rely upon atmospheric pressure to lift them. Beyond that, the only engine that could work would be a rocket, where a rocket is differentiated by carrying its own oxidizer (versus conventional and jet engines that pressurize the atmosphere around them).

S

SteveCNC

are you all reading the same OP I am ?

DavidSmafield":3f8evy6w said:

What part of inside a giant pressurized dome don't you get ? The word pressurized ? implying atmosphere ? or the dome part that contains the pressure ? Maybe it's the word giant thats throwing you all off ? Or are you only reading the title ?

I would think it wouldn't take as much energy to stay aloft as here on earth although I'm not as certain you could manipulate the wings correctly to produce the propper lift without some kind of updraft . My dad used to fly hang gliders (till his 3rd crash) mostly they use up drafts to fly and if you set up the air currents right inside your dome I suppose you could fly around for a long time .

A

adrenalynn

Yuri_Armstrong":38t86inl said:

Reading comprehension. Not just for breakfast anymore.

A

adrenalynn

SteveCNC":31aus53d said:
I'm not as certain you could manipulate the wings correctly to produce the propper lift without some kind of updraft .

Powered aircraft need nothing resembling "updraft"

It's simply pressure differential over the wing surface. That's why they're shaped that way.

Incidentally - it's exactly the same function as a wind turbine or sailboat sailing into the wind.

S

SteveCNC

adrenalynn":29500ml9 said:
SteveCNC":29500ml9 said:
I'm not as certain you could manipulate the wings correctly to produce the propper lift without some kind of updraft .

Powered aircraft need nothing resembling "updraft"

It's simply pressure differential over the wing surface. That's why they're shaped that way.

Incidentally - it's exactly the same function as a wind turbine or sailboat sailing into the wind.

since he was asking about an icarus wing suit , I was responding to the OP's question not talking about aircraft .

A

adrenalynn

As long as there is forward momentum, or power through flapping or some pulling mechanism, you've been told how to "manipulate the wings correctly to produce proper lift" sans any kind of updraft.

K

kg

Easy!
Just go to Google Earth, pull down the view menu, go down to explore and click on moon. When you get to the moon you can enter flight simulator mode from the tools menu and FLY ON THE MOON! Really kinda cool actually.

adrenalynn":2807oolf said:
An airplane on the moon outside of an artificial environment?

The moon's atmospheric is about 10[super]-11[/super] Torr. The best your vacuum cleaner could possibly hope for is around 500 Torr, assuming it's an industrial shopvac. Just for a little scale of why that could never work. Airplane's rely upon atmospheric pressure to lift them. Beyond that, the only engine that could work would be a rocket, where a rocket is differentiated by carrying its own oxidizer (versus conventional and jet engines that pressurize the atmosphere around them).

Further to Adrenalynn's correct post,

The total MASS of the lunar atmosphere is a paltry 25,000 KG, that's it. Mind you Mercury has even less, only 8,500 KG!!!!!!!

Lunar atmosphere = 2 x 10 [super]-12[/super] torr.

The vac Adrenalynn mentioned above is strong enough to rip the carpet off the floor with furniture on it in a normal home, so gives you some idea of how tenuous the lunar 'atmosphere' is. :lol: :lol:

So planes or any winged craft will not work there for lifting.

Andrew Brown.

A

adrenalynn

Great imagery, Andrew!

I have a shopvac (contractor/industrial) that is roughly in that neighborhood (240v/16A) that will happily pick up 1.5" ball bearings all day long.

Y

yevaud

SteveCNC":y4mqs294 said:
are you all reading the same OP I am ?

DavidSmafield":y4mqs294 said:

What part of inside a giant pressurized dome don't you get ?

Umm, the part where I answered the OP in the 2nd post. The rest is just one of our tres' de riguere tangents.

S

StarRider1701

I too liked Heinlein's tale, Menace from Earth, Yev. I beleive that with properly designed wings and perhaps a air circulation system to create an updraft as in the story, flying might not only be possible but fun. That might even be a possible mode of travel within a larger dome, given a safe method of propulsion. It'd sure beat walking!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts