Would Saturn be visible from Titan's surface

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

willpittenger

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>IIRC the original plan for Huygens was to descend to Titan on the Saturn facing hemisphere,<br />imaging Saturn above Titan's horizon,<br />through much of the descent, to check for opaqueness.<br /><br />But because of the change of mission design due to the 'doppler' problem, Huygens landing<br />site ended up on Titan's farside instead. <p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br />Were they able to use stars or a moon as a substitute for Saturn? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

W

willpittenger

BTW: I should clarify my comment about Saturn being visible from Titan in SciFi stories. Those stories might have involved a <font color="yellow">terraformed</font>Titan. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

Q

qso1

I think Saturn could be visible from Titans surface which is why I show it in the image I posted. Part of my graphic novels elements are the most realistic depictions of space possible based on what I know or can know about astronomy today. And it also depends on my ability to make the image as photorealistic as possible.<br /><br />Of course, the knowledge part of it changes with new knowledge. Back when I was doing Mars stories as a teen and yound adult, I depicted mars with a dark blue sky...then Viking 1 imaged mars with a pink sky. I had a lot of pictures to redraw and in those days, I wasn't using a computer. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

Hi willpittenger.<br /><br />I did think of that. I ran the sky view from the surface of Titan from Huygens location,<br />(will post it here later).<br /><br />Of Saturn's moons only Iapetus & Phoebe were above the horizon from Huygens position from Titan, & <br />even then Iapetus was only a slim crescent.<br /><br />No stars showed up, because of contrast issues.<br /><br /><br />I will post some views on here when I have done them.<br /><br />Andrew Brown. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080">"I suddenly noticed an anomaly to the left of Io, just off the rim of that world. It was extremely large with respect to the overall size of Io and crescent shaped. It seemed unbelievable that something that big had not been visible before".</font> <em><strong><font color="#000000">Linda Morabito </font></strong><font color="#800000">on discovering that the Jupiter moon Io was volcanically active. Friday 9th March 1979.</font></em></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://www.launchphotography.com/</font><br /><br /><font size="1" color="#000080">http://anthmartian.googlepages.com/thisislandearth</font></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://web.me.com/meridianijournal</font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.