Would Star Trek be able to help discussion of hot Jupiters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

willpittenger

I figure a crew could be given reason to go there and work through how one developed. Note: If we want the Hot Jupiter to be real planet we know of now, the crew must be from the TOS or ENT eras. Other ships would have traveled past what we can see at this time.

BTW: Star Wars probably can't help as they have very little science involved. :(

D

derekmcd

Considering they can now create black holes with red matter, I would assume Hot Jupiters are old news :)

D

DrRocket

willpittenger":1y0j7evg said:
I figure a crew could be given reason to go there and work through how one developed. Note: If we want the Hot Jupiter to be real planet we know of now, the crew must be from the TOS or ENT eras. Other ships would have traveled past what we can see at this time.

BTW: Star Wars probably can't help as they have very little science involved. :(

I there a reason that this is in SS&A rather than the Science Fiction forum ?

D

DrRocket

derekmcd":557rsybi said:
Relax, Doc... let it die a slow death. ;)

No need for it to die at all. But I think it would have better participation in the Science Fiction forum.

W

willpittenger

I put it here for a reason. Several novels by Christopher L. Bennett have delved into quantum physics and did so with a lot of accuracy. He appears to know a lot of that. I have to wonder what he would do on other topics like that.

C

centsworth_II

willpittenger":38nubkbb said:
...Several novels by Christopher L. Bennett have delved into quantum physics and did so with a lot of accuracy....
You should have been more specific in the opening post. Of course when you say "Star Trek" everyone is going to assume you are referring to the recent movie and imagining a sequel as a teaching device.

Novels and Movies are two very different mediums. And an action movie such as the latest Star Trek release is the worst sort of movie to impart real knowledge in. From the reviews I have read in various science blogs, the science in the Star Trek movie is abysmal.

I don't know anything about the novels so I can't comment on how good they are at imparting real science knowledge. One thing science fiction may do is peak curiosity about what is really out there and inspire readers to look to more factual sources for information.

M

MeteorWayne

This really does seem more suited to Sci Fi. Pondering.....

S

silylene

Yep, about the same way Star Trek helps to understand:

relativity (not!)
orbital mechanics (not!)
light speed (not!) [funny how phaser beams move visibly through space - slower than light - and yet radio communications with a planet are instantanous - faster than light]
planets so often have breathable O2 atmospheres and earth gravity and even ecosystems (not!)

M

MeteorWayne

"orbital mechanics (not!)"

Funny how orbits always "decay" when you lose power :roll:

W

willpittenger

silylene":31hv7qvw said:
orbital mechanics (not!)
Actually, as I understand it, starships have enough power on tap to override mere orbital mechanics. Sure, you get a non-linear trajectory, it just is very long and ends outside the system.
MeteorWayne":31hv7qvw said:
Funny how orbits always "decay" when you lose power :roll:
One of the very first episodes in TOS included a decaying orbit.

M

MeteorWayne

The point is, if it's a true orbit, it needs no more energy input, so it won't decay.

From what I understand the Star Trek "standard orbit" is well outside of the atmosphere, so NO energy input would be required to stay in orbit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts