X-37B/Atlas V Launch Apr 22

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

trailrider

Apparently a simulated countdown with wet tanking was successfully completed for this "black" bird. Now, all the photos released by USAF show an unmanned, no-cockpit front end. But, suppose they take it back to the hanger and uncover the windows... ;) All kidding aside, this could be quite something, especially if they eventually did put in a crew station or two. NASA, eat your hearts out!

Anybody got any (unclassified) info they'd like to share?

R

ralphwiggum

Re: X-37B/Atlas V Wet Countdown Test

This looks like another waste of money. Money that would be better spent going back to the moon. :evil:

V

vulture4

The X-37 was originally a NASA project, part of the Reusable Launch Vehicle program, before RLV was crushed by Bush. O"Keefe and Griffin. Its goal was to test technology for thermal protection, aerodynamics, autonomous atmospheric entry and landing, and reusability, reliability, and maintainability for a new generation of manned reusable launch vehicles that would be both practical and safe, Going to the moon at a price no one can afford will always be a dead end. Constellation was unaffordable and produced no practical benefits.

Flying to orbit and back repeatedly at a practical cost is a much greater challenge, but a meaningful one, because that's what's required if human spaceflight is ever to be sustainable. The X-37 was picked up by DOD and is the only survivor of the RLV program, and as it is now classified, it will be many years, if ever, before it benefits human spaceflight in any meaningful way. My guess is that after one or two flights DOD will conclude it is not particularly relevant to their mission and drop the program, but keep all the data secret.

T

trailrider

vulture4":34cqxn52 said:
The X-37 was originally a NASA project, part of the Reusable Launch Vehicle program, before RLV was crushed by Bush. O"Keefe and Griffin. Its goal was to test technology for thermal protection, aerodynamics, autonomous atmospheric entry and landing, and reusability, reliability, and maintainability for a new generation of manned reusable launch vehicles that would be both practical and safe, Going to the moon at a price no one can afford will always be a dead end. Constellation was unaffordable and produced no practical benefits.

Flying to orbit and back repeatedly at a practical cost is a much greater challenge, but a meaningful one, because that's what's required if human spaceflight is ever to be sustainable. The X-37 was picked up by DOD and is the only survivor of the RLV program, and as it is now classified, it will be many years, if ever, before it benefits human spaceflight in any meaningful way. My guess is that after one or two flights DOD will conclude it is not particularly relevant to their mission and drop the program, but keep all the data secret.[/color]

Don't bet on that! If the concept proves out in terms of the TPS, autonomous operation, and the rest of the "ilities", we could very well see a fleet of such craft, or larger versions, perhaps even manned. Their existence would be pretty hard to hide, although their missions might remain classified. The whole idea is a quick response capability that could deliver "payloads" to "targets" much faster than is now possible, either supplying support to troops on the ground or taking out bad guys before they had a chance to move. And, of course, there could be non-military spinoff, such as happened when the KC-135 became the Boeing 707.

A

Astro_Robert

If the Air Force were to buy such a thing, wouldn'tit then get a name. All Air Force vehicle type carry a nickname: Raptor, Nighthawk, Falcon, etc... So would the X-37 then become the Twinkee? (I'm just saying if it was painted yellow, with some small white circles on the underside of it.... lol

B

bdewoody

Well I hope this vehicle can be developed into a man rated orbital craft after the Russians cut us off after our 6 paid for rides in their capsule.

Z

Zipi

bdewoody":ogw0plma said:
Well I hope this vehicle can be developed into a man rated orbital craft after the Russians cut us off after our 6 paid for rides in their capsule.

I'm pretty sure that USA/NASA has some other manned vehicle rather soon available (in couple of years), but it will not be any X-37B derivative at the near future... Maybe at someday, but it will take many years to develop manrated vehicle based on this consept.

M

MeteorWayne

bdewoody":8lvy0xof said:

Make that 10:

NASA Extends Contract with Russian Federal Space Agency WASHINGTON -- NASA has signed a $335 million modification to the current International Space Station contract with the Russian Federal Space Agency for crew transportation, rescue and related services in 2013 and 2014.

The firm-fixed price modification covers comprehensive Soyuz support, including all necessary training and preparation for launch, crew rescue, and landing of a long-duration mission for six individual station crew members.

In this contract modification, space station crew members will launch on four Soyuz vehicles in 2013 and return on two vehicles in 2013 and two in 2014.

Under the contract modification, the Soyuz flights will carry limited cargo associated with crew transportation to and from the station, and disposal of trash. The cargo allowed per person is approximately 110 pounds (50 kilograms) launched to the station, approximately 37 pounds (17 kilograms) returned to Earth, and trash disposal of approximately 66 pounds (30 kilograms).

For more information about NASA and agency programs, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov

J

js117

Popular Mechanics latest issue has a artile on the X-37B. ( cover story )
Not that good.

Z

ZiraldoAerospace

js117":3trloq6e said:
Not that good.
Are you saying the article was bad or the X-37B is bad? I personally think that the X37B is an awesome idea, I really hope that it evolves into a much higher tech and streamlined shuttle replacement.

J

js117

ZiraldoAerospace":2bizvxi2 said:
js117":2bizvxi2 said:
Not that good.
Are you saying the article was bad or the X-37B is bad? I personally think that the X37B is an awesome idea, I really hope that it evolves into a much higher tech and streamlined shuttle replacement.

The article was bad, more information on on www.space.com.

I don't think X-37B evolving into a streamlined shuttle replacement will happen because of it size.
Also if it works it will be classified it for a while i'm afraid.

The best bet for commercial use of a X-37B type ship is Dreamchaser by SpaceDev.

http://www.spacedev.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dream_Chaser_(spacecraft)

R

RVHM

The X-37B is yet another reason to keep the SSME manufacturing facilities going.

D

dryson

X-37 AirForce Unmanned Drone

I was recently reading the article about the Air Forces X-37 and see a bright future for this type of design. Although the Air Force is going to use it for classified means I do not see why Nasa would not be able to buy from the Air Force the general plans on it's structural design so that Nasa could use the design as well. Nasa could use the hull design to launch deep space probes in the following manner. The X-37C is fitted with deep space communitications relays, probes or smaller versions of Hubble or other satellites. The 37C is launched aboard the Atlas rocket into space. Once in space the 37C jettisons the booster stage and fires it's single Vasmr engine on it's mission to deep space. Once the payload has been deployed at the predetermined location it would return to Earth based on a pre-programmed flight path that would not rely on human control.

G

Gravity_Ray

Please don’t fool your selves. The X37B is an unmanned LEO loitering orbiter. It has almost no commercial applications. This is a purely military bird. It is designed to carry either a laser or rail guns and is designed to loiter above China or Russian and shoot down their military communication satellites or shoot down ICBM's from any country before they get past LEO. It is supposed to be unmanned and is part of the improving unmanned military air/space crafts of US military.

No, this will not become a manned commercial space ship; it’s designed to knock some sense into anybody that wants to take on the US military.

D

docm

Most likely mission is pop-up recon.

S

swampboy

My best WAG on this is soon as the USAF is done or gives the ok look for this to be Boeings ship to the ISS. Remember folks this was to be the next generation ride to the ISS before NASA dumped it. :twisted: :roll:

Boeing knows how to get Uncle Sugar to pay for a project then run with it to and make money on it. :twisted:

Z

Zipi

Launch window: 23:52-00:01 GMT on 22nd (7:52 p.m.-8:01 p.m. EDT on 22nd)
Launch site: SLC-41, Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida

The United Launch Alliance Atlas 5 rocket (AV-012) will launch the U.S. military's X-37B, a prototype space plane also called the Orbital Test Vehicle. The rocket will fly in the 501 vehicle configuration with a five-meter fairing, no solid rocket boosters and a single-engine Centaur upper stage. Delayed from April 19, 20 and 21 due to range conflict.

Atlas 5 Wikipedia Article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlas_V
X-37 Wikipedia Article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_X-37

Atlas 5 First Stage:

One Atlas 5 common core booster (CBC) having one RD-180 engine burning RP-1/LOX.

RD-180 Wikipedia Article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RD-180
NPO Energomars RD-180 Page: http://www.npoenergomash.ru/eng/engines/rd180/
Purdue University RD-180 Page: https://engineering.purdue.edu/AAE/Rese ... ids/rd180/

h_4d7362c352b4ba03b0926e98a7bf3af8

Atlas 5 Second Stage:

Single engine (RL-10A) Centaur rocket stage burning LH[sub]2[/sub]/LOX.

Centeur Wikipedia Article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centaur_(rocket_stage)
NASA's Centaur History Page: http://www.nasa.gov/centers/glenn/about ... ntaur.html
P&W Rocketdyne RL-10 Page: http://www.pw.utc.com/Products/Pratt+%2 ... tdyne/RL10
RL-10 Fact Sheet: http://www.pw.utc.com/StaticFiles/Pratt ... r_RL10.pdf

T

trailrider

Re: X-37B/Atlas V Launch

In view of the imminent launch of this bird, I propose renaming the thread as shown above. Not sure if this will do it, or not.

Interestingly, Air Force Magazine (on-line) reports today that Boeing is already on contract for a second X-37B! That bird will not be flown until 2011, or when all data from this first flight has been recovered and analyzed!

T

Testing

The main SDC article said it was to go off this morning 0800 Eastern or slip to tomorrow. ULA has a webcast page but I could not get it to do anything.

C

CalliArcale

As I understand it, this isn't just a wet countdown test. This is the real thing. If all goes well, X-37 will be in orbit this evening. Am I mistaken?

J

js117

CalliArcale":298u0kl6 said:
As I understand it, this isn't just a wet countdown test. This is the real thing. If all goes well, X-37 will be in orbit this evening. Am I mistaken?

Yes this is the real thing 7:52PM - 8:05PM EDT launch time.

M

MeteorWayne

Those times are EDT, BTW.

Status
Not open for further replies.