10 everyday NASA inventions and spin-offs you can find in your home

May 28, 2023
Visit site
Amazing how gullible people are to believe this complete load of BS. Every one of these things existed long before NASA used them, not one of them is a "spin-off" of any space program. I am amazed that they didn't trot out Tang as another fake justification for spending trillions of dollars worth nothing but pictures in return.

And I am surprised the article didn't mention Corelle dishes. The story has been that it was a commercial outgrowth of Corning Glass working on heat shields for atmospheric reentry vehicles.

I don't think there is any way to deny that government projects infuse money into commercial company research and development efforts, which then produce items of interest to the government programs, such as weapons and research instruments, that then find applications in commercial products.

This process courses through much of human "advancement", including nuclear energy, space launch capability, computers, firearms, etc. at the more obvious levels, but also less obvious things like foods and waste treatment processes.

It is ludicrous to say that all that NASA has provided for trillions of dollars is "pictures". Do you use Google Maps to get directions? (Think GPS and satellite views). Do you use weather forecasts and severe storm warnings? Do you use the Internet to communicate with people who are not linked to you by undersea cables? Do you want to know what global warming emissions are really occurring in real time from what sources?

Yes, it would be possible to eliminate NASA and do the same things through military programs. But, is that what we want in a free society. The point is that government expenditures on science and technology do help raise our standard of living, even the expenditures on military equipment.

I'll be stuck machine learning mostly social sciences for two years. Space is a good way to recognize innovation. Low footprint has been attracting investment for a few decades. Space also leads to new materials sciences. A mine in space is the big economic winner. Filters that clean Enceladus's fuel or airborne Hg have a jump thx to Apollo. I'd like to know whether to subsidize Telstar. The military equivalent is to subsidize Bombardier for war transport planes. With the former, you get a space mine and eventually other star systems. Subsidizing the military, you are always vulnerable to conventional WMDs on Earth as they aren't high enough IQ. You eventually get VTOL passenger jets...
I'd like to learn ion engines for the USA, but it might be stolen, so it is safer to machine learn almost everything else privately for an employer. I hope to machine learning Blue Origin potential parts providers as well as space mine tech companies. The military can be the former; strangely enough IT can be both...the military won't focus on cosmic rays is my guess. I have plans for biolistics to spin off directed gene knockouts focusing charged radiation rays. Without going for the ion engine in the 1970s and particle imaging tech (only Russia has a school for neuroimaging psychology), the military has already ceded space to Barrow/Sagan-types by the 1980s.

In deep space, you want to have a rescue asteroid every LY. You may have to survive 5 yrs on your own ship's matter until then. In the military, you have the Germans defeated already. There isn't anyone or anything smart to challenge you. The militaries might get a gas giant moon mine here. Maybe not. But past 2075, I can't see them having the right Zeitgeist. Blue Origin traces its roots to the gold rush. NORAD is good but their antenna papers aren't made for surviving cosmic rays, meteorites or cold. NORAD's antenna microchips are meant for surviving EMPs, which is partway to Triton operations. They need thicker wires in their chips if cosmic rays. What path does NORAD/USA-A have to get from LEO war winner to Triton other than for security?

Low footprint, knowledge+, and Q-of-L are what I'm trying to ML to avoid a tik-tok employer. The Army lost at the end of "All Quiet on...". Exo-suits good for them. The Navy may be important when we learn to filter space brine and find granite in space. I might bring W.Smith's craft back from Procyon with engineers/culturalists. The Air Force might make them. The Zeitgeist may be Science Fiction. I can only make Pluto-sized from an ice ball and rock. After that, GPR-able layers will be wanted and no volcanism. It might be ex-forces persons working for Blue Origin that dream of Earth-G designer worlds. NASA could make a ceramic Moon with doors opening and closing for the best theatre. That certainly isn't a military brain pan.