10 new Watchmen clips

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

docm

Yahoo has them strung together here....

Looking good

We just got our advance tickets for the Henry Ford Museum's IMAX on Friday night.

F

flynn

Saw it on Friday night, quality on every level.

Bit long and the pacing was questionable. I wonder if it wouldn't of worked better as a 10 part TV series.

Episode 1 - Flesh out the opening credits, tell the story of the original minutemen

Episode 2-7 Show the individual back storys trying not to merge too much.

Episode 8-10 Tell the story

N

nimbus

So is the five hour cut not going to be offered after all? Or is that the director's cut with the black freighter sidestory spliced together?

D

docm

An animated Black Freighter DVD starring the voice of Gerard Butler (Leonidas in 300) is due March 24th. It'll also include Under the Hood, a documentary style back story of the characters named after Hollis Mason's memoirs (Nite Owl I) as mentioned in the Watchmen narrative.

There will be a separate release (rumored for July) of a Watchmen directors cut in both DVD and BR which will include virtually all the footage Snyder shot, running 4.5-5 hours.

N

nimbus

Thanks Docm, I hope so. The director's cut I've seen mentionned quotes just a bit over 3 hours runtime. With some luck they'll have all the footage available in one continuous cut like the extended versions of LOTR. Not just individually listed in a 'bonus' disc.

N

nimbus

Finally saw it. The acting was disappointing. Kind of like you could see how ridiculous the actors thought the characters were. I'm still going to get whatever DVD package has the full blown edit.

C

CalliArcale

nimbus":376h672z said:
Finally saw it. The acting was disappointing. Kind of like you could see how ridiculous the actors thought the characters were. I'm still going to get whatever DVD package has the full blown edit.

I thought they did a good job, personally, especially the ones playing the less sympathetic ones -- Rorshach and the Comedian. Tough parts to play without going melodramatic or goofy.

I, too, will be getting the DVD. There was a lot that I missed from the novel. I was glad they didn't completely cut out the prison psychiatrist, but his role was reduced to little more than a vehicle for presenting the story of how Rorshach became the person he is (albeit somewhat truncated as to his childhood). I hope that there's more of him in the extended cut. In the book, of course, Rorshach is in prison somewhat longer and the evolving relationship between him and the psychiatrist is very important for understanding what the story is trying to tell the reader.

The pirate story-within-a-story is also important from that perspective, and I'm glad they did produce that and are planning to release it later.

N

nimbus

I thought the dialog in the fireworks scene was very very limp. It's only when he screams for a medic that he resembles the Comedian as in the book. I think it's when he says "you don't even care anymore" that it's at its worst.. There's just no conviction to the way he says it, unlike the book's Comedian would.. He's supposed to have been down into and embraced the darkest depths of our primal impulses. Instead he comes off as a casual veteran with a bullet proof sense of humor, but that's only a bit more aloof than average. I've met a couple of lifelong army grunts, incl one from the french foreign legion, and the movie Comedian is just a wimp, psychologically, compared to them. I'm not slamming the movie effort, that's just how it comes off to me :)

Rorschach was very good, better than I expected. Manhattan was good too. Owl II was mediocre. Both Spectres were pretty bad, the daughter was terrible.

They also cut the visit to the abandoned desert physics facility, that was as much part and parcel as the prison psych sessions and the newspaper salesman dialogues. They should have made this movie a two parter.

One really funny thing is how many people who hadn't ever heard of the book insist on making a big deal out of Manhattan's nudity. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts