15.5 hour exposure!

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bloodhound31

Here's an image I got after five consecutive nights of capture trough my telescope on a single object this week (Total 15.5 hours) and two nights of processing.

Name - M20 Trifid Nebula
Type - Emission (red), reflection (blue) and dark (dense molecular clouds(dust))
Distance - 7,600 light years away
Location - Sagittarius (still in our galaxy)

http://www.asignobservatory.com/images/ ... 920min.jpg

Have a great day while you ponder the enormity of it all.

Baz.

O

orionrider

Just discovered your image. It is amazing, congratulations! :cool:

Would you mind telling more about how you achieve such stunning results? What equipment you use, the location, the software, etc. Just curiosity since I know little about astrophotography, still enough to recognize the beauty of this shot ;)

R

ravnostic

Damn I gotta get me a polar mount. I can go up to about 2 minutes exposure before field rotation ruins the shot. Nice image!!

G

gypstar

very beautiful. so u just set ur camera out there and let it take timed pics?? how does it work exactly?

G

gap134

Outstanding picture!

Where you said, "Type - Emission (red), reflection (blue) and dark (dense molecular clouds(dust))" Doesn't the red indicate it's moving away from us and blue indicate it's moving towards us?

O

orionrider

IIRC, red comes from the presence of atomic Hydrogen (H-a) in the clouds. Blue is from oxygen (OIII). The gases in the nebula get ionized by the light the stars.

The 'red shift' is present in receding galaxies, but is not really observable by amateur astronomers.

G

gap134

orionrider":22ldsf9v said:
IIRC, red comes from the presence of atomic Hydrogen (H-a) in the clouds. Blue is from oxygen (OIII). The gases in the nebula get ionized by the light the stars.

The 'red shift' is present in receding galaxies, but is not really observable by amateur astronomers.

Merci!

A

Agelesslink

what a great shot. i hope to achieve shots like this one day!

Status
Not open for further replies.