2009 Quadrantid Meteor Shower Peaked Saturday Morning

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MeteorWayne

<p>&nbsp;</p><p>Here's my take on this shower: I edited out the more meteor geeky parts.</p><p style="margin-top:0in;margin-left:0in;text-indent:0.25in;margin-right:0in" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">The last major shower of the winter season occurs just as the earth reaches perihelion on January 3<sup>rd</sup>.</font></p><p style="margin-top:0in;margin-left:0in;text-indent:0.25in;margin-right:0in" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">The Quadrantid shower has a ZHR as high as that of the Perseids and Geminids, but observing conditions are rarely as favorable. The true peak only lasts a few hours. In 2008, the eastern US was the favored location, but this year it will be best seen somewhere between the US west coast and Japan. That is an area with few points of terra firma!</font></p><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">&nbsp;</font><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">The IMO gives the annual peak time as Solar Longitude 283.16, or 12:50 UT on January 3<sup>rd</sup>. Last year was pretty well covered by eastern and central US NAMN members (10 total), indicating a peak from Solar Longitude 283.244 to 283.329, about 2 hours later. In fact this is probably one of the top few Quadrantid peaks with substantial coverage. At the NJAA, there were two experienced observers and we showed a peak rate toward the end of the period mentioned above. The IMO peak ZHR was shown at SL 283.285 (ZHR 82 +/-8) or 0936 UT, while NJAA observations by Wayne Hally and Pierre Martin showed a peak ZHR of 91 +/-10 at SL 283.329 (1039 UT). Pierre drove from Ottawa to New Jersey for the clear skies and the warmth; after all it was a balmy 12 degrees F! To view the IMO visual data (preliminary only) see: http://www.imo.net/live/quadrantids2008/</font></font><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">&nbsp;</font> <p style="margin-top:0in;margin-left:0in;text-indent:0.25in;margin-right:0in" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">Based on the &ldquo;normal&rdquo; peak and last year&rsquo;s timing, the east coast will see only the rising rates before the peak. The further west you are in the US and Canada and westward across the International Date Line, the better your opportunity to capture the peak will be. It would be expected between 1300 and 1700 UT on January 3<sup>rd</sup>. That is 8 AM to Noon EST, and 5 AM to 9 AM PST. You can therefore see why the further west the better your location will be. The sun rises between 7 and 7:30 AM in North America and the moon sets around midnight, so there are a few dark hours to collect some good counts. I should point out that data on this shower is rather sparse, so a peak a few hours either side of these times is certainly possible.</font></p><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">&nbsp;</font> <p style="margin-top:0in;margin-left:0in;text-indent:0.25in;margin-right:0in" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">IMO Video data has indicated a longer period of activity than in the official working list. Before January 1<sup>st</sup> and after the 5<sup>th</sup>, extreme care should be used in assigning meteors to this shower even though I list the positions below. These are moderately fast meteors with a velocity of 41 km/sec. </font></p><p style="margin-top:0in;margin-left:0in;text-indent:0.25in;margin-right:0in" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">It was suspected that the parent object of this shower was comet 96P/Machholz 1, but recent investigations by Jenniskens, Vaubaillon, Marsden and others has pointed the fickle finger of origin on another object, asteroid 2003 EH1. Since the particular orbit of the asteroid, the comet, and the meteoroids quickly evolve (nutate) it is quite possible all of them are related. The current inclination of the meteor stream, for example, of 72 degrees was 13 degrees only 1500 years ago. We are fortunate to be in the path of this stream at this time.</font></p><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">&nbsp;</font> <p style="margin-top:0in;margin-left:0in;text-indent:0.25in;margin-right:0in" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">The radiant is named for a constellation that no longer exists; on today&rsquo;s map of the sky it is in northern Bootes between Magnitude +3.5 Nekkar (the top of the &ldquo;kite&rdquo; of Bootes) and Draco&rsquo;s sinuous body.</font></p><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">&nbsp;</font> <p style="margin-top:0in;margin-left:0in;text-indent:0.25in;margin-right:0in" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">If the weather cooperates, bundle up and enjoy the show!</font></p><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">&nbsp;</font> (Edited to put title in past tense) <p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

A

adrenalynn

<p>Thanks for the update, Wayne!&nbsp; I find these updates of value as it means I can be a little lazy about keeping track - so thanks!</p><p>&nbsp;Assuming clearskyclock is correct (and it far more frequently is in my experience), they have my skies clearing at 1900 PST (raining now).&nbsp; </p><p>At 0200 my seeing will go from Average (2/5) to Above Average (3/5), and at 0300 from Above Average to Transparent (4/5), humidity is a little high, but temps will be 14-23deg F.</p><p>I'll watch for updates and if it keeps this prediction, I'll stay up and set-up the camera gear tonight.&nbsp; I've revamped my meteor photography gear a bit, have AC power as well as a homebuilt regulator to run from big batteries.</p><p>Thanks again!</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>.</p><p><font size="3">bipartisan</font>  (<span style="color:blue" class="pointer"><span class="pron"><font face="Lucida Sans Unicode" size="2">bī-pär'tĭ-zən, -sən</font></span></span>) [Adj.]  Maintaining the ability to blame republications when your stimulus plan proves to be a devastating failure.</p><p><strong><font color="#ff0000"><font color="#ff0000">IMPE</font><font color="#c0c0c0">ACH</font> <font color="#0000ff"><font color="#c0c0c0">O</font>BAMA</font>!</font></strong></p> </div>

A

adrenalynn

Cover is starting to break @ 00:00 PST.&nbsp; No telling if there's enough time left for it to fully break-up in the north or not.&nbsp; Broken cover is moving _fast_ though.&nbsp; Hopefully getting pushed out in time. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>.</p><p><font size="3">bipartisan</font>  (<span style="color:blue" class="pointer"><span class="pron"><font face="Lucida Sans Unicode" size="2">bī-pär'tĭ-zən, -sən</font></span></span>) [Adj.]  Maintaining the ability to blame republications when your stimulus plan proves to be a devastating failure.</p><p><strong><font color="#ff0000"><font color="#ff0000">IMPE</font><font color="#c0c0c0">ACH</font> <font color="#0000ff"><font color="#c0c0c0">O</font>BAMA</font>!</font></strong></p> </div>

R

RebeccaFaith

<font size="4">I woke the hubby and three teenage sons at 5:30AM Eastern and went out in the front yard with our sleeping bags...me with my electric blanket as it is 24 degrees. In one hour's time we counted 160 meteors that could be seen with the naked eye. One, of which, was amazingly bright, long, wide&nbsp;and you could see sparks trailing off the sides. Thanks for letting us know of these events that we can share with the whole family.</font>

R

RebeccaFaith

<font size="4">Oh, by the by, we live in Ohio and it was still a great sight.</font>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Oh, by the by, we live in Ohio and it was still a great sight. <br />Posted by RebeccaFaith</DIV><br /><br />Outstanding performance by the Quadrantids this morning in NJ,</p><p>79 Quads in 1.75 hours (45/Hr) out of 102 total meteors (58/Hr). Apparently the peak ZHR is much higher than average this year. That was reported from Europe, as I found out when I checked my e-mail this morning.</p><p>It's too early to tell when this year's&nbsp;peak time is yet, since data is still coming in (in fact observations are still underway) in the western US.</p><p>To see the latest IMO chart, go to : http://www.imo.net/live/quadrantids2009/</p><p>The normal peak ZHR is about 100-120 and was predicted by the IMO to be at 12:50 UT.</p><p>Last year's peak was only about 80 and occurred about 2 hours later than normal.</p><p>My data will be in there as soon as I finish crunching it!</p><p>Wayne</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

A

adrenalynn

<p>OMG it was AMAZING.&nbsp; We're having an argument - Geminid '01, or this STORM.&nbsp; Photos to follow - too fast to count.&nbsp; At peak we were seeing 180+.&nbsp; (Under 6.4 and better skies up in the mountains).&nbsp; More to update.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>[edit] A few photos here: http://www.space.com/common/community/forums/?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3ac7921f8b-94ec-454a-9715-3770aac6e2caForum%3a5b0d827a-6e1e-4e62-b1cc-0e44d67eb5ceDiscussion%3ac77ad936-7a5f-472f-8b57-6b498ef412a0&plckCategoryCurrentPage=0</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>.</p><p><font size="3">bipartisan</font>  (<span style="color:blue" class="pointer"><span class="pron"><font face="Lucida Sans Unicode" size="2">bī-pär'tĭ-zən, -sən</font></span></span>) [Adj.]  Maintaining the ability to blame republications when your stimulus plan proves to be a devastating failure.</p><p><strong><font color="#ff0000"><font color="#ff0000">IMPE</font><font color="#c0c0c0">ACH</font> <font color="#0000ff"><font color="#c0c0c0">O</font>BAMA</font>!</font></strong></p> </div>

T

TahaSiddiqui

<p>Seems like all of you had a great time !! I wish I could've gone, but my area was all clouded out. It would be clear every now and then, but a couple minutes later the sky would be completely covered. However, I'ved checked the forecast for Mississauga Ontario and its saying completely clear all night tonight! Im wondering, how many do you think I would be able to spot from tonight ( Jan 3rd/4th) from my light polluted back or frontyard? Lol. This time I think my dad will come out with me, he was feeling sick last night :(. Hope you can give me an estimate!</p><p>Thanks in advance,</p><p>Taha</p>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Seems like all of you had a great time !! I wish I could've gone, but my area was all clouded out. It would be clear every now and then, but a couple minutes later the sky would be completely covered. However, I'ved checked the forecast for Mississauga Ontario and its saying completely clear all night tonight! Im wondering, how many do you think I would be able to spot from tonight ( Jan 3rd/4th) from my light polluted back or frontyard? Lol. This time I think my dad will come out with me, he was feeling sick last night :(. Hope you can give me an estimate!Thanks in advance,Taha <br />Posted by TahaSiddiqui</DIV><br /><br />Of course, I can't predict the future, but maybe a&nbsp;half dozen&nbsp;Quadrantids an hour, and a half dozen others depending on your level of light pollution.</p><p>Obviously, this is an unusual year, but the peak will be well passed by this evening, and the radiant is quite low before midnight. After midnight, the radiant will be higher, but the ZHR will be down to well under 10 an hour.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

J

johnie

<p>in tulsa, ok &nbsp;on the night of SATURDAY, 1/3/09 @ 2 or 3 a.m.,, in a dark area, can someine tell me what number of meteors i can expect to see? i have gatyhered a group to watch and do not want to disappoint them by showing up a day late or a day early or the right day at the wrong time. hope this can be answered quickly as time is obviously of the essence. thanks.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>johnie&nbsp;</p>

J

johnie

<p><span style="font-weight:bold" class="Apple-style-span"><span style="font-size:large" class="Apple-style-span"><span style="color:#333333" class="Apple-style-span">addiyionally</span></span><span style="font-size:large" class="Apple-style-span"><span style="color:#333333" class="Apple-style-span">, why are things, showers, dated so as to cause so much confusion. i'm not a dummy--i drove 400 miles to see the 2001 </span></span><span style="font-size:large" class="Apple-style-span"><span style="color:#333333" class="Apple-style-span">leonids</span></span><span style="font-size:large" class="Apple-style-span"><span style="color:#333333" class="Apple-style-span"> and saw 400 per hour--maybe i am a dummy--but i cannot figure out if the time for an event is my 1/03/09 night or whose? help ? thanks</span></span></span></p><p>.</p><p>&nbsp;</p>

T

TahaSiddiqui

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Of course, I can't predict the future, but maybe a&nbsp;half dozen&nbsp;Quadrantids an hour, and a half dozen others depending on your level of light pollution.Obviously, this is an unusual year, but the peak will be well passed by this evening, and the radiant is quite low before midnight. After midnight, the radiant will be higher, but the ZHR will be down to well under 10 an hour. <br />Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV><br /><br />Ohh.. So I should be going at before midnight since the ZHR will be higher? I will try at around 10ish and maybe after midnight too.. the light pollution to the north is horrible :(. Its way too cold for my dad and I to go to somewhere remote for now. However, last summer we drove out for the perseids and it was an amazing sight!</p><p>Thanks for the help MW!</p>

A

adrenalynn

<p>Johnie - </p><p>The peak is well past.&nbsp; As Wayne mentioned - impossible to call the future - but with such a narrow debris field, I wouldn't expect to see more than 10-15/hr absolute tops.&nbsp;&nbsp; You need to make sure that Draco and Bootes have risen before you start looking very hard.&nbsp; I haven't checked a start Atlas, but I suspect your intended times are a couple hours too early to see much at the best of times...</p><p>As far as the times go - search around.&nbsp; If it says "Jan 3, 4AM PST" - then the conversion is pretty simple.&nbsp; It's the morning of the third.&nbsp; A calendar, a clock, and a basic understanding of time-zones is all that's required.</p><p>If it says "Jan 3, 4AM, UTC" - then we need a little more understanding of timezones.&nbsp; UTC is "Coordinated Universal Time", which the agreed upon time zone that the science world generally goes by.&nbsp; It's a time standard that is based on the International Atomic Time.&nbsp; It has some leap seconds thrown in to keep it in line with the UT1 time standard which this is all based on - the solar time at the Royal Observatory in Greenwich England, also GMT which is the less accurate Greenwich Mean Time - which you will also commonly see.</p><p>For our purposes, GMT = UT ~= UTC</p><p>It's been standardized upon since the late 1880s, so we just need to suck it up and deal. ;)</p><p>What you want to do is look at your offset for your timezone from GMT.&nbsp; Pacific Standard Time is GMT-8.&nbsp; Pacific Daylight Time is GMT-7.&nbsp; EST (Eastern Standard Time) is GMT-5 (which is also PST + 3 as you can derive from here.)</p><p>So, in the example above, we had Jan 3, 4AM, UTC or GMT</p><p>Here in California that would be 4am - 8hrs = 8pm but OOPS!&nbsp; We crossed midnight (the dateline), so it's really Jan 2, 8pm.&nbsp; Jan 2 11pm on the east coast.</p><p>It's really not too hard.&nbsp; Practice giving yourself timezone problems to solve BEFORE a big event and it will just be second nature.&nbsp; I can read at&nbsp;least 90% of the timezones in the world and do the conversion on-the-fly.&nbsp; Figuring out daylight savings time in odd places can take a bit more research though.&nbsp; Remember:&nbsp; Prepare!</p><p>Here are some meteor dates to remember this year: http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/highlights/36787804.html</p><p>Peak times need to be calculated, and the nearer we get the better the resolution of those times will be calculated by the people smarter than us.&nbsp; When those dates in the list above start to approach, check frequently!&nbsp; Space.com is a good resource.&nbsp; And remember that you can always come here and ask if you're confused what specific time you should be looking.</p><p>If it's not foggy, I'll be heading out to see if the Quads have anything more in store for us this year in the next three hours or so.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>.</p><p><font size="3">bipartisan</font>  (<span style="color:blue" class="pointer"><span class="pron"><font face="Lucida Sans Unicode" size="2">bī-pär'tĭ-zən, -sən</font></span></span>) [Adj.]  Maintaining the ability to blame republications when your stimulus plan proves to be a devastating failure.</p><p><strong><font color="#ff0000"><font color="#ff0000">IMPE</font><font color="#c0c0c0">ACH</font> <font color="#0000ff"><font color="#c0c0c0">O</font>BAMA</font>!</font></strong></p> </div>

A

adrenalynn

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Ohh.. So I should be going at before midnight since the ZHR will be higher? I will try at around 10ish and maybe after midnight too.. the light pollution to the north is horrible :(. Its way too cold for my dad and I to go to somewhere remote for now. However, last summer we drove out for the perseids and it was an amazing sight!Thanks for the help MW! <br />Posted by TahaSiddiqui</DIV><br /><br />No, because the radiant has to rise above the horizon first.&nbsp; The constellation Draco contains the radiant, I believe, so if all of Draco (biggest constellation, I think, longest anyway) isn't above the horizon you're not going to be viewing Quads but rather just sporadic (random) meteors that may exist on any night. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>.</p><p><font size="3">bipartisan</font>  (<span style="color:blue" class="pointer"><span class="pron"><font face="Lucida Sans Unicode" size="2">bī-pär'tĭ-zən, -sən</font></span></span>) [Adj.]  Maintaining the ability to blame republications when your stimulus plan proves to be a devastating failure.</p><p><strong><font color="#ff0000"><font color="#ff0000">IMPE</font><font color="#c0c0c0">ACH</font> <font color="#0000ff"><font color="#c0c0c0">O</font>BAMA</font>!</font></strong></p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>No, because the radiant has to rise above the horizon first.&nbsp; The constellation Draco contains the radiant, I believe, so if all of Draco (biggest constellation, I think, longest anyway) isn't above the horizon you're not going to be viewing Quads but rather just sporadic (random) meteors that may exist on any night. <br />Posted by adrenalynn</DIV><br /><br />That is correct. The radiant is about halfway between tyhe top of the "kite" of Bootes and Drano's "body". For the Northern US and Canada it is actually circumpolar (never sets). It's pretty close here at the NJAA, I believe it is cicumpolar at the north end of the parking lot, but sets briefly at the southern end :) For most of the US, it does set for a while in the early evening (~ 8 PM.</p><p>In any case, when the radiant is close to the horizon, rates will be extremely low (~ 1% of the ZHR), when it reaches 30 degrees elevation, you can see about 50% of the ZHR (under perfect skies).</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Posted by adrenalynn</DIV><br /><br />Good reply.</p><p>And just for information, almost all meteor showers reach their peak in the early morning hours, so if a date is given it's usually the date of the post midnight (morning) hours. To avoid confusion, we usually list both dates, for example the peak was on Jan 2/3.</p><p>I note I didn't make that too clear in what I wrote in the beginning....too immersed in observing and writing for the meteor community I guess.&nbsp;I just think that way :) I should make extra efforts to be clear about it.</p><p>As an example, my talking watch is always set to UT. I convert it in my head for use in the "real world".</p><p>BTW, this morning (the morning of the 4th) I had 2 Quads in 2.25 hours, compared with 79 in 1.75 hours on the peak morning, yesterday the 3rd.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

A

adrenalynn

<p>Thanks, Wayne.&nbsp; I think the post-midnight&nbsp;thing has to do with how the earth is facing the sun, correct?&nbsp; Basically a speeding freight-train.&nbsp; The earth's direction of motion around the sun is the&nbsp;midnight side, and is then slamming into the particles "head on" instead of grazing the field or making the particles catch up to it, right?</p><p>I went out for two hours last night.&nbsp; Our max was about 183 in one hour under incredibly dark and transparent skies on Sat early morning.&nbsp; Sun early morning, I had eight quads in two hours.&nbsp; I had&nbsp;six sporadics in those same two hours.&nbsp; That shower was definitely done and over.</p><p>The skies were so transparent that even Vega and Capella rising right at the horizon&nbsp;weren't "twinkling" - I thought momentarily that they were planets they were so sharp and clear.&nbsp; (About six hundred feet above the cloud ceiling, in the mountains.&nbsp; I was able to make-out Mag 7 stars in my peripheral&nbsp;without straining and my cohorts were Mag 6.2 and Mag 5.6 respectively [they're older than me and untrained]).</p><p>I can't remember the last time I saw skies that dark and clean.</p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>.</p><p><font size="3">bipartisan</font>  (<span style="color:blue" class="pointer"><span class="pron"><font face="Lucida Sans Unicode" size="2">bī-pär'tĭ-zən, -sən</font></span></span>) [Adj.]  Maintaining the ability to blame republications when your stimulus plan proves to be a devastating failure.</p><p><strong><font color="#ff0000"><font color="#ff0000">IMPE</font><font color="#c0c0c0">ACH</font> <font color="#0000ff"><font color="#c0c0c0">O</font>BAMA</font>!</font></strong></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts