A Battlestar Galactica/Caprica Thought

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bdewoody

I am beginning to think that the interactive cyber world that several of the characters in Caprica got immersed in may actually be the universe that the new Battlestar Galactica took place in. Any thoughts there?

B

BurgerB75

Re: A Battlestar Galactica Thought

Interesting thought. That would help to explain one of the issues I had with the last episode.

Spoiler below, highlight to read:

It's the end of the last episode where Starbuck disappears. If we imagine that they were all basically inside a program then when she disappeared the first time the Starbuck that returns is just an image, so to speak

Although this does make it sound a bit too much like the Matrix movies.

J

JasonChapman

I never got into this series, which is regretable I suppose as I have the 70's series on DVD. However I did watch the TV movie The Plan the other night, which kind of condensed everything into one nice little package, so I roughly knew what the series entailed. If its ever repeated on syfy I'll have a look.

S

StarRider1701

JasonChapman":ph65zvh2 said:
I never got into this series, which is regretable I suppose as I have the 70's series on DVD. However I did watch the TV movie The Plan the other night, which kind of condensed everything into one nice little package, so I roughly knew what the series entailed. If its ever repeated on syfy I'll have a look.

If there was a PLAN in that movie, I missed it! To me it was just a rip-off. They took old footage and picked up some stuff from the cutting room floor and peiced it together. Maybe they shot a few scenes too, I don't know. All I do know is that I was quite disappointed.

I too don't watch Caprica. I tried watching one episode but couldn't get into it.

B

bdewoody

Well it just seems to me that the cyber world that a lot of the population of Caprica has gotten hooked on would explain several of the odd occurances that happened in BSG. Like the Cylon beauty who kept popping into Baltar's head.

B

BurgerB75

As much as I liked the series I was a bit disappointed at the end. I just felt there were too many unanswered questions. Like:

What the frak are Baltar and 6 doing there at the end of the final episode. What are they really.

If they were all in a cyberworld than are they all using the device or is just one person in the "program"?

G

Gravity_Ray

BurgerB75":3crdnpmi said:
As much as I liked the series I was a bit disappointed at the end. I just felt there were too many unanswered questions. Like:

What the frak are Baltar and 6 doing there at the end of the final episode. What are they really.

If they were all in a cyberworld than are they all using the device or is just one person in the "program"?

Unfortunatley I just didnt get into Caprica. Not sure why...

Anyway regarding your question BurgerB75, Baltar and 6 were "angels" musing over the human race and weather the battle would once again (for the 3rd time) be waged or not (the first battle was waged on the "original" Earth, the second battle was the BSG series - thats why everybody kept say "whats happend before will happen again"). The 3 "angels" were declared at the end of the series; the Baltar in 6's mind, the 6 in Baltar's mind and Kara Thrace. These "angels" are the same beings of light from the light ship of the first BSG series.

B

BurgerB75

Ahhh, I never did watch the entire first series.

F

Floridian

I enjoyed the series at first, but about halfway through it spiraled downhill. Like the 2nd and 3rd Matrix's, they took a good thing, over-complicated it, and ruined it.

I like battlestar galactica because it was very gritty, and seemed more plausible than Star Trek. Their ships and crews resembled Navy ships.

The biggest annoyance were the "civilians". As martial law would have been declared, they wouldn't have needed a president and all that lame crap. I started to get really annoyed with any episodes with "civilians'.

I think my favorite part of the series was when the son got command of the other ship and came back and rescued the galactica.

B

bdewoody

Caprica is looking more and more like it is moving toward a civilization in a matrix society which would explain (if we want explanations for why a writer writes what he/she writes) many of the events in the BSG recent series.

Y

yevaud

Gravity_Ray":2rzo5o91 said:
Anyway regarding your question BurgerB75, Baltar and 6 were "angels" musing over the human race and weather the battle would once again (for the 3rd time) be waged or not (the first battle was waged on the "original" Earth, the second battle was the BSG series - thats why everybody kept say "whats happend before will happen again"). The 3 "angels" were declared at the end of the series; the Baltar in 6's mind, the 6 in Baltar's mind and Kara Thrace. These "angels" are the same beings of light from the light ship of the first BSG series.

Actually, it would be the 4th time: once on Kobol, once in the 12 Colonies, once on the "Earth of the 13th Tribe" (from where the final five came from), and then on our Earth.

B

bdewoody

I'm still not sure but with each episode it's looking more and more like a take on the Matrix.

Y

yevaud

Dunno, but I have a counter-thought that's been nagging at me since BSG:

The 12 Colonies of Kobol are at about our level of technology (more/less) during Caprica, except for one sole piece of technology: the FTL jump. At this time in the story arc, the colonies sound as if they've been in contact for about 50-60 years. But comparing them to us, that many years ago would have been about just post-WWII technology. Which is ludicrous, if you think about it. How would that even be possible?

As I'd just read in The Science of BSG (recently released), the FTL jump effect works along some manner of having unified all four forces; the jump is some sort of neat trick manipulating spacetime, once the science was understood.

So, where are we? 1940s technology able to manipulate spacetime on demand and travel between the stars?

(come to think of it, that'd be a good alternate history SF story theme. I'll get right on that!)

A

a_lost_packet_

yevaud":18kw3r6r said:
..So, where are we? 1940s technology able to manipulate spacetime on demand and travel between the stars?..

It's called "Dang.. if we do this the way we should, the budget's going to be ginormous! We better tone down the nifty sci-fi stuff a bit.."

Of course, instead of trying to explain it, they just leave it for people to scratch their heads over.

"Wait a sec? You guys have anti-gravity... but your trains fall off the tracks and 'spload? You're all driving Geo Metros? WTF?"

(come to think of it, that'd be a good alternate history SF story theme. I'll get right on that!)

Good luck with that. Nazi UFO Moonbase, perhaps?

N

neomaine

Remember, the Battlestar Galactica was old for its time, an analog ship in a newer digital domain. I'm treating the current timeline of Caprica as a simple a transition from old tech to new tech. Much like we'll still have CE engines for a while after EV's trully take off.

Overall, the transition to new tech is usually very slow. It seems that's the reality there as well.

A

a_lost_packet_

neomaine":16kwo2fs said:
..Overall, the transition to new tech is usually very slow. It seems that's the reality there as well.

That's a good point. In order for new tech to be implemented, not only does it have to present a desirable use, but it has to be enough to warrant getting rid of all the old tech.

If we discovered a new type of combustion engine that would fit in a shoebox yet could power a full size sedan, but still used petroleum products for fuel, how long would it take to replace all the car engines with the new model? Ten years? Twenty? Five? If it was radically different or required a brand new infrastructure, how long would it take before it permeated the market?

There are natural gas engines now. But, there are almost no natural gas filling stations to fill your tank.. The reason - It's not worth the cost of building new facilities to support the new technology.

Star Trek did a good job with that kind of idea. Sure, they had spaceships and transporters. But, colonies still had shovels. Why? A shovel gets the job done and its cheap. Sure, one could simply "transport" that material out of the way.. if one had a warp core to power it.. and people to man it.. and cabling to hook everything up or relay stations to beam energy..etc.. And, how do you build all that? Start with a shovel! :)

S

silylene

Sadly, SyFy has canceled Caprica. Next week will be the last episode.

Y

yevaud

Ah, but it's not that bad after all. Caprica may be canceled - wise move, it was way too convoluted, and didn't "move" fast enough) - but...

SyFy Greenlights Prequel BATTLESTAR GALACTICA: BLOOD & CHROME

Following the hints they dropped back in March, Syfy has announced they will return to the Battlestar Galactica universe for their next possible series, Batllestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome. Set in the tenth year of the first Cylon war, the prequel centers around hotshot rookie pilot William Adama (played by Edward James Olmos in the parent series) as he is assigned to the newest battlestar in the Colonial fleet: the Galactica.

http://www.collider.com/2010/10/23/batt ... avid-eick/

M

Mee_n_Mac

yevaud":23a6lif1 said:

Following the hints they dropped back in March, Syfy has announced they will return to the Battlestar Galactica universe for their next possible series, Batllestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome. Set in the tenth year of the first Cylon war, the prequel centers around hotshot rookie pilot William Adama (played by Edward James Olmos in the parent series) as he is assigned to the newest battlestar in the Colonial fleet: the Galactica.

Now that sounds very interesting !!

A

a_lost_packet_

yevaud":1xxyesa8 said:
Ah, but it's not that bad after all. Caprica may be canceled - wise move, it was way too convoluted, and didn't "move" fast enough) - but...

AWESOME!

More 'splosions!

S

Skyskimmer

It would be nice if they just made capirica season too move into Blood and chrome but whatever I'm happy as long as they don't let this universe go into oblivion, it's 21st century sci fi, star gate, and star trek are too old school.

Anyhow as far as their technology level, it's highly plasuable that we may hit the limit in alot of tech area's in the next century. We don't know how they operate in development, who knows it's very likely there religions bans alot of research such as genetic engineering. Cleary there Information tech is easily a hundred years ahead of ours. The ftl's do not need to be near as advanced as you would think. Remeber there's 12 worlds so that means 12 einsteins, lets just pretend, that instead of EMC2 they figured out 12 forumla's mean a small nuke can be used as an FTL. Also remember it's higly likely they simple borrowed the info from Kobol or earlier colonies. They could easily have been at our level of tech 200 years before BSG.

S

SpaceKiwi

yevaud":1e72lr0n said:
Ah, but it's not that bad after all. Caprica may be canceled - wise move, it was way too convoluted, and didn't "move" fast enough)

I was disappointed to hear that Caprica got the archer, though I agree that the series wasn't pacy enough at times. I've always had a soft spot for Eric Stoltz as an actor as well, and I'm sorry to see him unemployed for now. It would have also been great to see the eventual rise of the Cylons. Oh well ....

SK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts