A psychology question..

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fatal291

ok i'm 17 and i was thinking about adding psychology with my dreams to join NASA. So anyways what are some good beginner books or programs for people who are just starting out with psychology? I'm open to any suggestions even DVDs and other froms of education. 'm from Richmond, Virginia incase anyone here is in my area and has information. thanks in advanced!<br /><br /><br />I'm not 100% sure yet of I want to do this for a living but for now it has my attention.. I already know I plan on working for NASA but for now Psycology seems to be the field I'm headed in.

F

fatal291

lol.. jokes, they will need them when they begin to spend longer amounts of time in space and I do recall NASA getting ready for a Moon & Mars manned mission in the far future.

B

Boris_Badenov

I think I would start by joining the Navy. Free education, plus you could learn how to fly, that really helps in becoming an Astronaut. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#993300"><span class="body"><font size="2" color="#3366ff"><div align="center">. </div><div align="center">Never roll in the mud with a pig. You'll both get dirty & the pig likes it.</div></font></span></font> </div>

Q

qso1

Fatal291:<br />lol.. jokes, they will need them when they begin to spend longer amounts of time in space and I do recall NASA getting ready for a Moon & Mars manned mission in the far future.<br /><br />Me:<br />NASA is currently preparing for manned lunar missions but not yet far enough into the planning to determine crew requirements other than crew size. The Mars mission plans are even more nebulous.<br /><br />However, the key is preparation. Preparing yourself for the time when the requirements will be finalized. By the time you get a masters or Phd, it may be a matter of applying for the NASA astronaut positions available then. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

F

fatal291

My family wouldn't be so happy with me joining the navy.. but ill give them a try anyway

J

JonClarke

Sheryl Bishop at the University of Houston Medical School does a lot of space-related social-psychology research. If this is a field you want to get into I suggest a major in sociology and psychology and then clinical training before doing post graduate research with a supervisor interested in space research.<br /><br />A lot of the lessons from space psychology are directly relevant in areas such as aviation psychology, saturation divers, ship crews, Antarctic winter-overs, etc. The reverse is also true. <br /><br />There is a book out there called "bold endevors" that compares polar and space expl;oration from a human factors point of view. It's very good. Another one is "Finding (or chosing) the right stuff", about crewe selection in the Apollo era. I can't remember the authors of these, offhand. Good luck!<br /><br />Jon <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

N

nexium

My personal opinion is psychiatry and psychology have almost everything wrong. Before you make a big commitment, listen to the Mormon missionaries and find some members of the Libertarian party. You need to understand the alternatives before you make a massive commitment to mainstream. Historically the mainstream has been wrong. Why would you think mainstream has the correct ideas this time? Neil

E

enigma10

0.o<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <em>"<font color="#333399">An organism at war with itself is a doomed organism." - Carl Sagan</font></em> </div>

V

vogon13

Scientology has some pretty firm views on the topic as well.<br /><br />Why piss off Xemu?<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

T

torino10

Try "Spacefaring, the human dimension" by Albert A. Harrison.<br /><br />Has quite a bit of psychology in it as well as other things, emphasis on psychology though. I bought it by accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts