A question about a photograph

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

doubletruncation

(Note for anyone like me who is initially confused, you have to look at the full-resolution version of the image to see the bright spot).<br /><br />Hi VGagi, welcome to SDC!<br /><br />My own guess is that it's a bad pixel in the camera, or a cosmic ray hit. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

W

weeman

First of all, this is a narly picture! I think I will set it as my background.<br /><br />Second of all, the bright spot below the Moon is Earth..............haha, just kidding!<br /><br />I am having a hard time even seeing what you're talking about. I would imagine that it is a glare of some kind, or something relating to the camera. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><strong><font color="#ff0000">Techies: We do it in the dark. </font></strong></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>"Put your hand on a stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit with that special girl for an hour and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.</strong><strong>" -Albert Einstein </strong></font></p> </div>

Q

qso1

Most likely its what doubletruncation said, but there is one other possibility. It could be a satellite many miles out. Enlarging the image might provide a better look at the spot.<br /><br />We know its not a star because its in front of the moon. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

Q

qso1

Its the little dot in front of the unlit portion of the moon. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

T

telfrow

Here's an enlargement... <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <strong><font color="#3366ff">Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find and not to yeild.</font> - <font color="#3366ff"><em>Tennyson</em></font></strong> </div>

I

ianke

Really cool picture! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

B

bobw

I checked the dates for shuttle, soyuz and progress flights but nothing matched. It seems like it would have to be a pretty bright satellite to show up in the daytime, but it could be.<br /><br />Great picture! I set it to be my desktop, too.<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Q

qso1

Thanks for the resized pic. Still cant say for sure what it is and unless it can be correlated to known satellite data, we won't know for sure if its a satellite. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

D

docm

Could also be a reflection off a distant aircraft. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Q

qso1

Thats certainly possible. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

V

vgagi

Thanks for the replies.<br />What really confuses me is the line between the spot and Earth (even more hardly to notice). Was this photo made from inside of ISS, or from outside ?

Q

qso1

Good point, I don't rule it out entirely but most likely the spot is an image artifact as originally postulated. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

P

pyoko

It's Obkani. I keep telling people! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p> </p><p><span style="color:#ff9900" class="Apple-style-span">-pyoko</span> <span style="color:#333333" class="Apple-style-span">the</span> <span style="color:#339966" class="Apple-style-span">duck </span></p><p><span style="color:#339966" class="Apple-style-span"><span style="color:#808080;font-style:italic" class="Apple-style-span">It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.</span></span></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts