A stange quote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Skyskimmer

From BSG "see gamma rays, hear x-rays, smell dark matter...and feel the solar wind of a super-nova". It's just a random quote not the point of the thread. But it got me thinking What it takes to see space in a fundamentally different light. I mean everything is that quote are things we usually don't think about when we look at space. There hidden or just not easy to access. So what are things that you use to make space seem more comprehendable.(please don't moove to unexplained this is about understanding the real science)

I.e. I always try to explain our solar system to people like this. The earth moves fast enough to circle it's self every 24 minutes, so how big would the solar system be if it takes 365 days to complete it's orbit.

Or if it take 350 million years for the sun to circle the galaxy how long would you big do you think it is. Going a distance of about 300 thounsand light years.

What other methods do you use to understand the galaxy.

A

adrenalynn

Skyskimmer":1xju0mtz said:
I.e. I always try to explain our solar system to people like this. The earth moves fast enough to circle it's self every 24 minutes, so how big would the solar system be if it takes 365 days to complete it's orbit.

meaningless tiny inner orbit.

Or if it take 350 million years for the sun to circle the galaxy how long would you big do you think it is. Going a distance of about 300 thounsand light years.

At least that big.

What other methods do you use to understand the galaxy.

Math.

Apologies for the length of the post.

S

StarRider1701

Apparently my imagination is bigger than most. I have no problem conceptualizing the size of our Solar System, about one fifth of a light year across. Or even our Galaxy at nearly 100,000 light years across. I have no problem understanding the immense distances involved with traveling between solar systems.
But the distances between Galaxies boggles my mind. I know it is totally vast, but knowing the numbers isn't the same as knowing the great expanse of open nothingness.
Another thing that boggles my mind is the number of people, even here at SDC, that don't know the difference between a Solar System, a Galaxy and the Universe!

M

MeteorWayne

This is one reason I'm big into 3D examples in my astro-lectures. Noting quite like seeing a pea sized sun, with teeny tiny grain of sand as earth the right distance away, along with pacing off (I have kids do this with be) the outer planets....and get to the next step...the nearest star is 2 towns away :)

S

Skyskimmer

MeteorWayne":1858qls7 said:
This is one reason I'm big into 3D examples in my astro-lectures. Noting quite like seeing a pea sized sun, with teeny tiny grain of sand as earth the right distance away, along with pacing off (I have kids do this with be) the outer planets....and get to the next step...the nearest star is 2 towns away :)
Lol that's a wierd way to do it, I always say the suns 3 football fields away and ten feet tall, while the earth is just a globe.

M

MeteorWayne

Yeah, but you're just showing the local stuff. On that scale, Neptune is nearly 10 km away, and the nearest star is a quarter of the distance to the moon, too far for people to grasp.

S

Skyskimmer

MeteorWayne":3o7ty49m said:
Yeah, but you're just showing the local stuff. On that scale, Neptune is nearly 10 km away, and the nearest star is a quarter of the distance to the moon, too far for people to grasp.
Well anything beyond that is beyond visualization, it's well outside the picture as I like too put it. I stick to travel times beyond earth. I find it helpful to explain size of things. etc.

On a side note these real size of star vids on youtube drive me up the wall.

The're all about showing how small our sun is say compared to sirius but they completely ignore that it's about the same massive, just over inflated.

M

MeteorWayne

It's not terribly inflated in size (1.7X sun), but it is 25 times more luminous.

S

Skyskimmer

MeteorWayne":1j8w03py said:
It's not terribly inflated in size (1.7X sun), but it is 25 times more luminous.
Sorry meant betelguese.

A

Andorfiend

StarRider1701":25fus5c8 said:
Another thing that boggles my mind is the number of people, even here at SDC, that don't know the difference between a Solar System, a Galaxy and the Universe!

Gah. I am sick unto death of hearing bad SF shows say "They are from another galaxy!" *headdesk* Really? How would we know? Since it's not like we've explored this one. At all. Idiots.

T

tom_hobbes

You often hear people say 'light years in the future,' and 'visitors from another universe' and you know it's because to them other galaxies sound too close, and not because they are considering alternative Universe theory. A visitor from Venus would be astounding enough, let alone from the eighth dimension of a far universe....

: )

S

Skyskimmer

Andorfiend":2o3745ef said:
StarRider1701":2o3745ef said:

Gah. I am sick unto death of hearing bad SF shows say "They are from another galaxy!" *headdesk* Really? How would we know? Since it's not like we've explored this one. At all. Idiots.
Lol, I get a kick of the simple fact that all the alien races of the federation(1-10 trillion) could supposedly fit in our solar system, without no magical planets being bults or any other mismash.

I have this theory in star trek humans are just space rejects that keep orbiting the same dwarf planets every week without ever realizing that the vulcans romulans, klingons bajorians, and caradassians all inhabit the same planet. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts