A thought about terraforming a Planet

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Beanze

Do any of you believe in Terraforming a Planet? The succession that is, of Terraforming a Planet. :p

Say for example, we decide to Terraform Mars: We grow layers of grass and trees and algae. Everything you need to grow an earth-like atmosphere over-time, would it remain there, or would the implants die off and be one of the future failures of designing life as we know it? :)

I'm new here by the way, by about 10 minutes - Hi :)

S

SpaceForAReason

Terraforming Mars with the technology we currently have would take hundreds, if not thousands, of years. The amount of energy that would require is absolutely beyond anything we could capably handle.

Mars also lacks a the necessary magnetic field to protect it from solar winds and radiation.

For now (maybe forever), we will have to think on a much smaller scale.

B

Beanze

Yes, sadly that may be the case... but is there a way for us to kickstart another planets growth and capability to become habitable? By habitable I then mean, filled with the required components that we need in order to live? Plus the magnetic field :)

I know this is way beyond us, but if you were to be open minded and use your vivid imagination... you'll get there :cool:

S

SpaceForAReason

I hear ya. Something is only impossible until it happens! "In this room all of my dreams become realities, and some of my realities become dreams." - Roald Dahl: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

B

Beanze

SpaceForAReason":188peco8 said:
I hear ya. Something is only impossible until it happens! "In this room all of my dreams become realities, and some of my realities become dreams." - Roald Dahl: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Nice quote you've got there :D

OT: If only the visions of people would be taken seriously, the ideas...

Ok my brain is literally being cooked due to my great and oh so beloved lack of sleep. I've written about 500 sentences only to find myself deleting them later on because It makes **** sense -.-

I would love to see governments getting their faces slapped with the message "Earth ain't forever baby" :cool:
Point: We need to do something about the lack of protection, start colonizing what.. the moon perhaps... but more important: Fund things into happening. As far as I've witnessed, space seems to be an off-stage vacation place to be to the government while in fact we're the vacation place in space. Space Programs need fundings :eek::eek::|

Edit: I seem to be off-topic, but the topic itself origins from my thoughts about needing to have a safe-zone in case we've got an asteroid or the likes on collision course with earth :( what else will become of us? A small blip in the history of earth? No thanks :)

S

StarRider1701

Edit: I seem to be off-topic, but the topic itself origins from my thoughts about needing to have a safe-zone in case we've got an asteroid or the likes on collision course with earth :( what else will become of us? A small blip in the history of earth? No thanks :)

Only if no humans survive that event. I wouldn't count on that, we humans are a cantankerous bunch...
A "safe zone" isn't a bad idea if we could get there! But we are having a hard time just getting back to our own Moon, and Mars is sooooo much farther away. And, as others have said, Mars isn't really a good place for us, its just the next best place to here. And if you'd bother looking closely at Mars, that really isn't saying much. Perhaps in a few hundred years someone might maybe cover over a nice valley and plant some earthly trees and such. On a small scale (compared to the planetary scale) that might work for a community or three. On the planetary scale the costs alone would be prohibitive and the end result likely not worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts