Abiogenesis - the origin of life - Agreed terms help sensible discussion

Catastrophe

"Science begets knowledge, opinion ignorance.
Oxford Dictionary of Science Oxford University Press 2003

Abiogenesis
"The origin of living from non-living matter, as by biopoiesis ."

Biopoiesis is "The development of living matter from complex organic molecules that are themselves non-living but self-replicating. It is the process by which life is assumed to have begun." (See origin of life).

Origin of life. "The process by which living organisms developed from inanimate matter, which is generally thought to have occurred on Earth between 3.5 and 4.0 billion years ago. It is supposed that the primordial atmosphere was like a chemical soup containing all the basic constituents of organic matter: ammonia; methane; hydrogen and water vapour. These underwent a process of chemical evolution using energy from the Sun and electric storms to combine into ever more complex molecules, such as amino acids, proteins and vitamins. Eventually self-replicating nucleic acids, the basis of all life, could have developed. The very first organisms may have consisted of such molecules bounded by a simple membrane.

Poiesis
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In philosophy, poiesis (from Ancient Greek: ποίησις) is "the activity in which a person brings something into being that did not exist before."[1]
Poiesis is etymologically derived from the ancient Greek term ποιεῖν, which means "to make".
The word is also used as a suffix, as in the biological term hematopoiesis, the formation of blood cells.

Encyclopaedia Britannica

"Biopoiesis
, a process by which living organisms are thought to develop from nonliving matter, and the basis of a theory on the origin of life on Earth. According to this theory, conditions were such that, at one time in Earth’s history, life was created from nonliving material, probably in the sea, which contained the necessary chemicals. During this process, molecules slowly grouped, then regrouped, forming ever more efficient means for energy transformation and becoming capable of reproduction."
"Some scientists think that under present biospheric conditions new forms of life are not likely to be created from nonliving matter. Others feel that life is continuously being created but that the new forms are not so well adapted to the environment as existing ones and are thus unable to compete successfully."

View: https://imgur.com/a/ZtqYgls
The earliest known life-forms are putative fossilized microorganisms, found in hydrothermal vent precipitates, that may have lived as early as 4.28 Gya (billion years ago), relatively soon after the oceans formed 4.41 Gya, and not long after the formation of the Earth 4.54 Gya.[1][2] [Wiki]

Biology - Life on Earth G and T Audesirk Macmillan 1989.

"Chapter 3 The Chemistry of Life II Biological Molecules
Synthesizing Organic Molecules
A Modular Approach
In principle, there are two ways to manufacture a large, complex molecule; one could synthesize the molecule atom by atom according to an extremely detailed blueprint, or one could take preassembled smaller molecules and hook them together. Just as trains are made by coupling engines, boxcars, coal cars, and cabooses, so too life on Earth takes the modular approach. Small molecules (for example, amino acids) are used as subunits, with which to synthesize longer molecules (for example, proteins), like cars in a train. The individual subunits are often called monomers (from Greek words meaning 'one-part'); long chains of monomers are called polymers ('many-parts)')."
"Condensation and Hydrolysis
Biological molecules almost always use the same type of chemical reaction, called a condensation reaction, to join subunits to one another. In a condensation reaction, a hydrogen (-H), removed from one subunit, and a hydroxyl (-OH), removed from a second subunit, condense to form a molecule of water, as the subunits are joined by a covalent bond. The reverse reaction, called hydrolysis (literally to break apart with water), can split the molecule into individual subunits again. During hydrolysis, water is added back, a hydrogen to one subunit, and a hydroxyl to the other."

"The Principal Types of Biological Molecules
The most important organic molecules fall into one of four classes: carbohydrates, lipids, proteins, and nucleic acids."

I think it is important to note that biological molecules always used a simple condensation reaction involving water.

" Life functions through the specialized chemistry of carbon and water and builds largely upon four key families of chemicals: lipids (cell membranes), carbohydrates (sugars, cellulose), amino acids (protein metabolism), and nucleic acids (DNA and RNA). Any successful theory of abiogenesis must explain the origins and interactions of these classes of molecules.[16]" Wiki.

WORK IN PROGRESS Last edit Monday 12th July 2021 17.50 BST

Last edited:

Abiogenesis
"The origin of living from non-living matter, a by biopoiesis ."

Biopoiesis is "The development of living matter from complex organic molecules that are themselves non-living but self-replicating. It is the process by which life is assumed to have begun." (See origin of life).
Why is it not called biopsiesis instead?

I think the favored view is now life from sea-bottom vents, no sunshine.

Catastrophe

Last edited:
Reactions: sam85geo
Google cannot find biopsiesis . Can you point me to a reference please? Cat :) :) :)
It's in your OP. :) I had not heard of it.

It might help to breakdown the formational parts of the word abiogenesis. I get the "bio" and the "genesis" elements, and that "abio" suggests something opposed, somewhat, to biological, but I'm guessing this is the best scientific word to describe non-life to life.

You also were wise, IMO, not to label it a theory, though many do so, and they might even be correct, but it is a little messy given specific tests, as opposed to general tests, aren't yet available.

Catastrophe

It's in your OP. :) I had not heard of it.

It might help to breakdown the formational parts of the word abiogenesis. I get the "bio" and the "genesis" elements, and that "abio" suggests something opposed, somewhat, to biological, but I'm guessing this is the best scientific word to describe non-life to life.

You also were wise, IMO, not to label it a theory, though many do so, and they might even be correct, but it is a little messy given specific tests, as opposed to general tests, aren't yet available.
Helio, I checked the relevant dictionary, and that is how it appears. Also I have Googles biopoiesis again and it is correct. e.g., from Britannica:
Biopoiesis | biological process | Britannica
Cat :)

Jul 4, 2021
Visit site

Abiogenesis
"The origin of living from non-living matter, a by biopoiesis ."

Origin of life. "The process by which living organisms developed from inanimate matter, which is generally thought to have occurred on Earth between 3.5 and 4.0 billion years ago. It is supposed that the primordial atmosphere was like a chemical soup containing all the basic constituents of organic matter: ammonia; methane; hydrogen and water vapour. These underwent a process of chemical evolution using energy from the Sun and electric storms to combine into ever more complex molecules, such as amino acids, proteins and vitamins. Eventually self-replicating nucleic acids, the basis of all life, could have developed. The very first organisms may have consisted of such molecules bounded by a simple membrane.

View: https://imgur.com/a/ZtqYgls
The earliest known life-forms are putative fossilized microorganisms, found in hydrothermal vent precipitates, that may have lived as early as 4.28 Gya (billion years ago), relatively soon after the oceans formed 4.41 Gya, and not long after the formation of the Earth 4.54 Gya.[1][2] [Wiki]

WORK IN PROGRESS Last edit Friday 9th July 2021 23.30 BST
Please wait a while before responding.
If the Aging of those fossils is correct at 4.28 billion years ago, then that's cutting it really close considering that the collision with Theia happened approximately 4.5 billion years ago.. that leaves just two point 220 million years before the late heavy bombardment . That means there was enough water present on the earth prior to the late heavy bombardment to support life. The late heavy bombardment did not take place until five hundred million years after the formation of the Moon.

Catastrophe

If anything is my own personal opinion, it is in blue. Otherwise it is usually (always?) adequately referenced. I try to give a balanced perspective, including, in appropriate cases, an historical element.

Cat :)

Latest posts