Aeronautical Race Proposal

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

willpittenger

Back in 20's and 30's, there were a series of races (like the Bendix) to spur technological development. It is too bad those races are history. Modern airplane races only push the planes -- not the envelope. So what I am proposing is a return to the old-fashioned build-it-yourself races.<br /><br />* The system would be divided up into classes. Speed would NOT be a direct factor in the classification. Nor would specific types be allowed. (Safety might rule out some unsafe types.) Rather, the classes would restrict one or more the following:<ul type="square"><li>Thrust (or horsepower for prop planes) rating<li>Length/Height<li>Wingspan<li>Weight<li># of people in the crew -- Special categories for truly autonomous vehicles like Global Hawk.<li>Maximum Fuel Usage<li>Range<li>Experimental, modified, or production (Even if that duplicates some claseses)</li></li></li></li></li></li></li></li></ul>* Some classes would have the aircraft traveling a fixed course that would either be a straight line or a oval. Other classes would announce ahead of time the distance and your initial heading only. Every so often, you would encounter a beacon giving a new bearing for you to follow. Until you hear the beacon, you must continue on your current heading.<br />* Unlimited class would allow even hypersonic orbiters like the Challenger Class system I mentioned in one of my other threads.<br />* Prizes would be cash with the amount depending on the class<br />* At least one of the classic races from the 30's I mentioned had a sunset provision. If the same "country" won the race 3 times in a row, the race ended. I would discourage that. Also, private and public (like the US Navy) entries should be allowed. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

T

tomnackid

I'm not sure what technology a race would promote that the cold war and cut throat economic competition hasn't already! <br /><br />We don't need more launch vehicles we need a sound economic reason for business to invest in space--aside from communications that is. I'm sorry, but the whole "build a cheap enough launch vehicle and suddenly space enterprise will explode" idea makes no economic sense.

W

webtaz99

Why not? It's a good thing we didn't give up on aviation just because the Wright brothers didn't build the Concorde. The problem with space development is a lack of true investors, people with the vision to see what space could bring to the human race and willing to make the investment despite a lack of returns in their lifetime. Would a multi-millionaire really suffer if he/she invested $100,000 and never saw penny back? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

W

willpittenger

I decided to move this topic to the Tech Forum. Please reply to http://uplink.space.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=tech&Number=512502&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=&vc=#Post512502. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts