Alpha Centauri could host the closest Earth-like planet

Dec 1, 2019
Visit site
I think that Alpha centauri could host the closest Earth-like planet.

A study shows that 22% of G and K-type stars could have Earth-like planets orbiting in the habitable zone.

There are 9 Sun-like stars within 25 light-years. If we make the calculation, two of those stars could have an Earth-like planet.

One of those two exoplanets could be Tau Ceti e. Which exoplanet could be the other one?

7 out of the 9 closest Sun-like stars have low metallicity. The only two stars with high metallicity are Alpha Centauri A and Delta Pavonis, but this star is suspected to be variable.

What do you guys think?

Reactions: rod
I think that Alpha centauri could host the closest Earth-like planet.

A study shows that 22% of G and K-type stars could have Earth-like planets orbiting in the habitable zone.

There are 9 Sun-like stars within 25 light-years. If we make the calculation, two of those stars could have an Earth-like planet.

One of those two exoplanets could be Tau Ceti e. Which exoplanet could be the other one?

7 out of the 9 closest Sun-like stars have low metallicity. The only two stars with high metallicity are Alpha Centauri A and Delta Pavonis, but this star is suspected to be variable.

What do you guys think?

My answer, we have 4135 confirmed exoplanets now, seeThe Extrasolar Planets Encyclopaedia Which of the 4135 confirmed exoplanets is definitely be shown to be earth-like and inhabitable? My answer - I have not seen any of these 4135 exoplanets presented as conclusively earth-like and very habitable like our Earth.

Oops, my bad. "Which of the 4135 confirmed exoplanets is definitely be shown to be earth-like and inhabitable?" What I mean is how many of the 4135 exoplanets is confirmed as earth-like and habitable like our Earth?

I think going around a red dwarf star is going to be a serious issue for an earth like planet, tidal locking of one side in perpetual day and one side always night is sure to make horrific weather, outbursts of most red dwarfs can easily sterilize the planet.
A gas giant with a big earth sized moon going around a red dwarf might be a very different outlook.

I think to find Earth 2 we need to look at double planets or moons of big planets in the habitable zone.
When you think about it earth/moon is pretty much a double planet itself.
ET will probably wake up to a gas giant in the sky.

I think going around a red dwarf star is going to be a serious issue for an earth like planet, tidal locking of one side in perpetual day and one side always night is sure to make horrific weather, outbursts of most red dwarfs can easily sterilize the planet.
A gas giant with a big earth sized moon going around a red dwarf might be a very different outlook.

I think to find Earth 2 we need to look at double planets or moons of big planets in the habitable zone.
When you think about it earth/moon is pretty much a double planet itself.
ET will probably wake up to a gas giant in the sky.

Currently, using my canonical reference site to exoplanets, we have 4135 confirmed. There are ten different detection types listed at the site. 2967 found by primary transit method, 864 found by radial velocity method, 133 listed as imaged. How will the Earth 2 moon be observed, tested and shown to be Earth-like (meaning confirmed earth-like)? Presently, Earth 2 moon at the 4135 exoplanets is not reported as discovered or verified.

Currently, using my canonical reference site to exoplanets, we have 4135 confirmed. There are ten different detection types listed at the site. 2967 found by primary transit method, 864 found by radial velocity method, 133 listed as imaged. How will the Earth 2 moon be observed, tested and shown to be Earth-like (meaning confirmed earth-like)? Presently, Earth 2 moon at the 4135 exoplanets is not reported as discovered or verified.
Finding earth size planets with a moon or gas giants with a moon in the habitable zone right now is just beyond our tech.

We might get lucky and one of the ones we looked at has a moon but it's a little like finding a needle in a haystack.
James webb and ground based telescopes follow up all planet candidates.
We are just a decade or two from seeing exo moons and sooner to test what a planets atmosphere temp and composition is.
We IMO we might find ET in the candidates but i think finding the right candidates will give us a much clearer picture.

Earth/moon might be a very odd place in our universe.
Moon of big planet IMO is a far better place for life with more options for host star types.

Finding earth size planets with a moon or gas giants with a moon in the habitable zone right now is just beyond our tech.

We might get lucky and one of the ones we looked at has a moon but it's a little like finding a needle in a haystack.
James webb and ground based telescopes follow up all planet candidates.
We are just a decade or two from seeing exo moons and sooner to test what a planets atmosphere temp and composition is.
We IMO we might find ET in the candidates but i think finding the right candidates will give us a much clearer picture.

Earth/moon might be a very odd place in our universe.
Moon of big planet IMO is a far better place for life with more options for host star types.

I like the thinking about the Earth/moon combination and the place in the universe. There is the entire explanation for the origin of the Moon too, the Giant Impact Model :) The proto-earth and proto-moon must survive extremes to see the Earth-Moon system we have today in our sky :) That proto-moon was originally very close to Earth, perhaps <= 3 earth radii distance, today some 60.3 earth radii distance for the mean. I know when I enjoy lunar observing with my telescopes, there is no proto-moon very close to Earth for me to look at :)