AMA endorses efforts to end light pollution

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MeteorWayne

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/news/48814012.html

The entire House of Delegates of the AMA — 540 attendees representing physicians from the entire country — voted unanimously in favor of the proposal, now designated Resolution 516

RESOLVED That our AMA advocate that all future outdoor lighting be of energy-efficient designs to reduce waste of energy and production of greenhouse gases that result from this wasted energy use; and be it further

RESOLVED That our AMA develop and enact a policy that supports light-pollution reduction efforts and glare-reduction efforts at both the national and state levels; and be it further

RESOLVED That our AMA support that all future streetlights will be of a fully shielded design or similar non-glare design to improve the safety of our roadways for all, but especially vision impaired and older drivers.

M

matthewota

You may be surprised to know that many medical doctors and optical surgeons are also amateur astronomers.

On one occasion I set up my telescope at the Orange County Astronomer's Anza "Football Field", which is a long communal concrete pad in front of the club house. A man wearing a green surgical scrub shirt was setting up beside me. I asked him why he was dressed as such and he explained to me that he was a heart surgeon. I joked that this would absolutely be the best time for me to have a heart attack...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts