Amino acids (building blocks of DNA) have been found on asteroids and meteorites. Cosmic radiation (highly charged Baseballs) are too energetic.

Apr 20, 2023
Visit site
I am a Radiation Physicist/Nuclear Engineer/NASA sub-contractor (retired).

Earth is a naturally radioactive planet due to the presence of Heavy Metals, Uranium and associated decay products. The lower level Naturally Occurring Gamma, Alpha, and Betta ionizing particles could be used to allow fusion of these panspermia fragments into viable one cell lifeforms. Could this be why lifeforms could be so rare on what we have studied and yet so plentiful in our Naturally Occurring Radiation field on and below the planet's surface? Coukd this form of radiation be the 'Spark of Life'?

Cosmic radiation is extremely energetic and highly ionizing 'Chunks' of material and cores of atoms ejected by the Sun. They are far too massive, and harsh to allow these fragments of amino acids and proto-DNA to fuse. They appear only to be able to destroy. Like doing brain surgery with a sledgehammer and a stick of dynamite. Many of the asteroids and fragments are composed of Rock and Metals. These rocks are very similar to those found on Earth. How did these rocks form if not on or in an early planet that had been destroyed by collisions. Could there have been early life on those ex-planets and we are seeing the results as fragments?

Inside a Nuclear Reactor, the Gamma radiation actually splits water molecules apart into Hydrogen and Oxygen. And it also reunites these elements back together to form water again. (breaks and recreates ionic bonds). This creation of ionic bonds should be possible in randomly creating new molecules and new bonds as it does when it penetrates and scrambles our DNA, sometimes leading to cancer and other times, simply killing the cell.

Reactions: rod
"Could this be why lifeforms could be so rare on what we have studied and yet so plentiful in our Naturally Occurring Radiation field on and below the planet's surface? Coukd this form of radiation be the 'Spark of Life'?"

Interesting thinking on abiogenesis. The statement to me, seems to suggest science has studied some lifeforms somewhere other than here on Earth. I know about meteorite ALH84001 that some said contained remains of tiny Martians but over the years, this did not work out. Did NASA identify life somewhere else, other than on Earth now?

Apr 20, 2023
Visit site
"Could this be why lifeforms could be so rare on what we have studied and yet so plentiful in our Naturally Occurring Radiation field on and below the planet's surface? Coukd this form of radiation be the 'Spark of Life'?"

Interesting thinking on abiogenesis. The statement to me, seems to suggest science has studied some lifeforms somewhere other than here on Earth. I know about meteorite ALH84001 that some said contained remains of tiny Martians but over the years, this did not work out. Did NASA identify life somewhere else, other than on Earth now?

YES. Deep space 'dust collection' missions have reveled the presence of Amino Acids, and fragments of DNA on Deep Space asteroids. They have also confirmed the presence of low energy gamma emitters in these asteroid/meteorite samples.

YES. Deep space 'dust collection' missions have reveled the presence of Amino Acids, and fragments of DNA on Deep Space asteroids. They have also confirmed the presence of low energy gamma emitters in these asteroid/meteorite samples.
Okay, I understand this but the matter is still not a living lifeform like a cell. Do we find lifeforms out in space and if so, where is this published?

Finding elements considered ingredients for life like we see here on Earth is not finding lifeforms, I want to be clear about this. If NASA found lifeforms other than on Earth, need to see the specific publication supporting this. ALH84001 was a famous example that fell apart later.

Apr 20, 2023
Visit site
Okay, I understand this but the matter is still not a living lifeform like a cell. Do we find lifeforms out in space and if so, where is this published?

No complete cells yet, neither Alive nor Dead have been found so far, to my knowledge. If any complete cells had been formed on another Space Rock in the distant past, those cells would have been torn apart and fragmented by Cosmic Radiation or the harsh conditions of space.

Latest posts