Antimatter during the big bang

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

ihwip

I am curious as to what might be at the center of the universe where the big bang occurred. I was thinking about how regular matter seems to be dominant whereas anti-matter is rare. One could assume that a large amount of antimatter is hiding somewhere.

Is it possible that when the big bang happened it was similar to a supernova explosion where the core was compressed and the core just happened to be mostly antimatter and therefore there is an antimatter black hole at the middle of the universe? It would explain the imbalance. How is antimatter treated with regards to black holes anyway?

D

derekmcd

There is no center. As the current theory goes, the Big Bang happened everywhere. What is difficult to understand is that there is no inside our outside to our universe. General Relativity describes it as a 4 dimensional manifold. The surface of a sphere is a 2-manifold... I challenge you to find the center on the surface of a sphere. It can not be done. Our universe is no different with the exception of 2 extra dimensions.

The Big Bang happened right in front of your nose... my nose, too.

Edited to add:

I'd like to add the caveat that the above statement may or may not be fact. However, it's the best damned approximation we have at the moment. A fairly good one, too... so it seems.

S

Saiph

You know, I'm tempted to write a Big Bang Reference FAQ, and the first line, well maybe second (first will state this is mainstream current theory, though not gospel) is going to be a big bold all caps: THERE IS NO CENTER!

hmmm, maybe something to do in my spare time...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts