Apollo Oxygen Tanks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

juliemac

Ahh. Good Question. IIRC it was to keep the pressure in the tanks up. Thats the best I can come up with with my memory...

V

ve7rkt

I would guess -- and this is purely a guess, I hope somebody who knows for sure can answer -- that if you didn't stir the tanks, you might end up with a crust of frozen oxygen lining the tank wall.

F

formulaterp

The stirring was necessary to prevent stratification of the cryogenic oxygen, which would otherwise make it difficult to accurately measure the remaining quantity. The tanks also included a heating element which was used to raise/maintain pressure.

B

bushuser

They decided the presence of all that electrical gear inside the LOX tank was more dangerous than worthwhile. The fix, beginning with Apollo 14, was to add a 3rd oxygen tank. This created a huge surplus of oxygen, so that measuring the oxygen was no longer important.

D

drwayne

And the extra tank was placed in such a way as to try and protect it against an Apollo 13 type of explosion.<br /><br />Wayne <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>"1) Give no quarter; 2) Take no prisoners; 3) Sink everything."  Admiral Jackie Fisher</p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts