Are the laws of physics proof the universe virtual reality?

• Thread starter The_Knowable_Unknown
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

a_lost_packet_

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>This guy argues the theory of relativity offers circumstantial proof of a virtual reality.&nbsp;http://matrioshkaworld.blogspot.com/2008/05/general-relativity-as-proof-of-virtual.html <br /> Posted by The_Knowable_Unknown</DIV></p><p>An interesting paper.&nbsp; You may be interested in Paul Davies book "Cosmic Jackpot: Why the Universe is Just Right For Life."</p><p>But, if our Universe is a Virtual Reality simulation, the important thing is going to be to distinguish it from true "reality."&nbsp; Without an outside referrence, there is nothing to distinguish our Virtual Reality from True Reality.</p><p>The way the Universe seems to handle information is remarkable, IMO.&nbsp; Why does an event seemingly in the future affect the past?&nbsp; Why does an observer collapse a wave function?&nbsp; In an infinite universe, there would be a number of randomly generated observers that would simply "poof" into existence.&nbsp; What about them?</p><p>Until we could distinguish Virtual Reality from True Reality, I couldn't accept a "VR Hypthesis" for the Universe. </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1">I put on my robe and wizard hat...</font> </div>

E

emperor_of_localgroup

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>This guy argues the theory of relativity offers circumstantial proof of a virtual reality.&nbsp;http://matrioshkaworld.blogspot.com/2008/05/general-relativity-as-proof-of-virtual.html <br /> Posted by The_Knowable_Unknown</DIV></p><p><font size="2">If the universe has come into existence out of nothing, as 'some' physicists think, then it is in a sense a virtual reality. Isn't it? </font></p><p><font size="2">&nbsp;</font></p><p><font size="2">&nbsp;</font></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="2" color="#ff0000"><strong>Earth is Boring</strong></font> </div>

A

a_lost_packet_

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>If the universe has come into existence out of nothing, as 'some' physicists think, then it is in a sense a virtual reality. Isn't it? Posted by emperor_of_localgroup</DIV></p><p>I don't know anyone that believes the Universe arose from "nothing."&nbsp; However, there are forces, energies and states which are outside of the boundaries of possible measurement from our little fishbowl of a Universe.&nbsp; Except, in this fishbowl, we can only see a very limited distance before everything gets blurry.</p><p>VR or Reality?&nbsp; What does it matter if all we can directly observe and measure is the reality in which we are bound due to the nature of the physical laws which surround us? </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1">I put on my robe and wizard hat...</font> </div>

O

origin

<p>Well if this is VR I just hope that it is more stable the that stupid VISTA operating system!&nbsp; </p><p><br /><br />&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

E

et_earth

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Well if this is VR I just hope that it is more stable the that stupid VISTA operating system!&nbsp; &nbsp; <br />Posted by origin</DIV><br /><br /><font size="2" color="#0000ff"><p>Possibly this reality reboots every so often and starts over or so I&lsquo;ve heard.</p></font> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Q

qso1

<p><font color="#800080">This guy argues the theory of relativity offers circumstantial proof of a virtual reality. Posted by The_Knowable_Unknown</font></p><p>And if he were somehow right, so what.</p><p>Will it somehow improve your life, or other lives to think...not actually know by way of proof or direct benefit...but to merely think we are a VR existence? Point being, we are not ever going to be able to prove this. IMO, this is a wasted pursuit and one that strikes me as more about avoiding reality because its not always pleasant.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts