Asian Space Race. Do you think NASA will do more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deapfreeze

With this Asian Space Race. Does anyone think NASA will do more to be sure to stay infront of the world in space research? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font size="2" color="#0000ff"><em>William ( deapfreeze ) Hooper</em></font></p><p><font size="1">http://deapfreeze-amateur-astronomy.tk/</font></p><p> </p> </div>

D

docm

It's very possible that the practical use of space will be by private companies with NASA doing what it does best; unmanned probes, satellites and providing pork for Congress. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

mithridates

By sheer coincidence, a CTV article on this very subject just appeared:<br /><br />http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20070415/space_race_070415/20070415?hub=SciTech<br /><br /><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>Heated space race underway in Asia<br /><br />Updated Sun. Apr. 15 2007 9:09 AM ET<br /><br />Associated Press<br /><br />TOKYO -- Upstart China challenges the United States by blasting a satellite out of orbit. North Korea lobs a missile over Japan, prompting Tokyo to initiate a multibillion dollar spy satellite program. India is readying a lunar mission, while rival Pakistan makes headlines with a new, improved warhead.<br /><br />The most heated space race since the Cold War is under way in Asia, where countries are concluding that a space program is no longer just an expensive status symbol but a matter of national security. And they are scrambling to keep abreast.<br /><br />China, the only Asian country to put its own astronauts into orbit, is far ahead.<br /><br />But India, South Korea, Malaysia and Taiwan all have satellites in orbit. North Korea claims to have sent one up with its 1998 ballistic missile launch and to have used it to broadcast messages from its leader, Kim Jong Il, though that claim has never been substantiated.<br /><br />Japan is closest to keeping pace with China.<br /><br />After a decade of work, Tokyo in February completed a network of four spy satellites that can monitor any spot on the globe, every day.<br /><br />Japan's program was spurred by the 1998 North Korean test of a Taepodong ballistic missile, which flew over its main island and into the Pacific somewhere off the coast of Alaska. Tokyo now spends about $500 million a year on its spy satellite program.<br /><br />Japan, India and China currently have the capability to launch their own rockets into space, and Pakistan and No</p></blockquote> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>----- </p><p>http://mithridates.blogspot.com</p> </div>

G

gunsandrockets

[The writer is being far too simplistic in claiming that China is ahead. Once China is capable of sending a probe off to an asteroid on a sample return mission then they'll be at the same level as Japan.]<br /><br />Hmm...<br /><br />Japan is ahead in robotics, but there is no denying China is ahead in manned spaceflight. I believe Japan has a larger booster operational right now, but China supposedly has a 25 tonne payload to LEO class booster that will become operational by 2011.<br /><br />All in all I think China has the edge.

B

bdewoody

As soon as the U.S. Army and/or Air Force is sure that China or Japan is within reach of staking claim to the moon by placing a permanent base there we will see a flurry of meaningful activity in the U.S.A. not matched since the 1960's. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <em><font size="2">Bob DeWoody</font></em> </div>

M

mooware

<font color="yellow">As soon as the U.S. Army and/or Air Force is sure that China or Japan is within reach of staking claim to the moon by placing a permanent base there we will see a flurry of meaningful activity in the U.S.A. not matched since the 1960's. </font><br /><br />I would tend to agree

B

bdewoody

duplicate post <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <em><font size="2">Bob DeWoody</font></em> </div>

B

bdewoody

Congress will be screaming for an immediate investigation into why we don't already have a base on the moon. <br /><br />I was very young in 1957 (8 years old) but I remember pretty much how the public (and then of course congress) reacted when the news about sputnik hit the streets. Even though we really weren't that far behind the event really gave the space program a kick. <br /><br />I have a feeling a similar progression of events will occur here. <br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <em><font size="2">Bob DeWoody</font></em> </div>

J

JonClarke

The whole space space terminology is utterly obsolete in a situation where many nations follow their own agendas in space, someties colloberatively, sometimes in parallel, sometimes competitively.<br /><br />As for the US's role in all this, the US still spends more on space than the rest of the world combined. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

D

deapfreeze

I am agreeing more with Bdewoody on this ( Congress will be screaming for an immediate investigation into why we don't already have a base on the moon. ), but thanks for the replies. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font size="2" color="#0000ff"><em>William ( deapfreeze ) Hooper</em></font></p><p><font size="1">http://deapfreeze-amateur-astronomy.tk/</font></p><p> </p> </div>

Q

qso1

I'm inclined not to agree with it for the simple reason...we have been to the moon. And another reason, we are already actively planning a return to the moon. IMO, Congress will not be anywhere as nearly concerned about whether China gets there ahead of us or not as they were during the cold war moon race.<br /><br />China gets there two years ahead of us for example. No big deal. It might become a big deal to Japan however. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

P

portercc

I do believe it will generate a little more interest in going back to the moon, but not on the scale of the 60's.<br />To paraphrase qso1 - Been there, done that.<br /><br />I think protection from Chinese killer satellites and weapon detection in space will be bigger issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.