Astro-Photography 101 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cassini12

<p>Hi all,</p><p>&nbsp; What is a cheap way for me to take pictures of the things I am viewing through my Meade Telescopes, DS-2114 and a smaller 60mm version (dont recall model#).</p><p>&nbsp;Will any webcam do? I think I should mention, I know nothing about "exposure times" or anything like that, So I am hoping for now, to just get some still pics of things like The moon, Saturn, Etc. to see on my pc and email to friends/family.</p><p>&nbsp;One day I will step it up and buy a nice camera made for the scopes or whatever. But for now what are my options? </p><p>&nbsp;Thank you all in advance as usual.</p><p>-Cassini</p>

C

crazyeddie

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Hi all,&nbsp; What is a cheap way for me to take pictures of the things I am viewing through my Meade Telescopes, DS-2114 and a smaller 60mm version (dont recall model#).&nbsp;Will any webcam do? I think I should mention, I know nothing about "exposure times" or anything like that, So I am hoping for now, to just get some still pics of things like The moon, Saturn, Etc. to see on my pc and email to friends/family.&nbsp;One day I will step it up and buy a nice camera made for the scopes or whatever. But for now what are my options? &nbsp;Thank you all in advance as usual.-Cassini <br /> Posted by Cassini12</DIV></p><p>Well, the first thing you need to do is get something like this:</p><p>http://www.telescope.com/control/product/~category_id=adapters_and_cables/~pcategory=accessories/~product_id=05228</p><p>....so you can mount your camera to the telescope eyepiece. &nbsp;What kind of camera do you have? &nbsp;&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

C

Cassini12

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Well, the first thing you need to do is get something like this:http://www.telescope.com/control/product/~category_id=adapters_and_cables/~pcategory=accessories/~product_id=05228....so you can mount your camera to the telescope eyepiece. &nbsp;What kind of camera do you have? &nbsp;&nbsp; <br />Posted by crazyeddie</DIV></p><p>I dont have one yet, I was just looking for ideas. I think I am more inclined to try a webcam to start, or are these also expensive?</p><p>I do have access to a Kodak 7 or 12mp digital camera, i guess that universal stand could work, it is quite a nice idea. But I have tried to put the camera up to the eyepeice and I have yet to get any clear shots..probably due to me shaking or something..</p>

C

crazyeddie

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I dont have one yet, I was just looking for ideas. I think I am more inclined to try a webcam to start, or are these also expensive?I do have access to a Kodak 7 or 12mp digital camera, i guess that universal stand could work, it is quite a nice idea. But I have tried to put the camera up to the eyepeice and I have yet to get any clear shots..probably due to me shaking or something.. <br /> Posted by Cassini12</DIV></p><p>A regular digital camera should be capable of taking snapshots of the moon, if you can position the lens correctly....which is why you need the camera holder.</p><p>Plictures of the planets can also be done this way, but because they are dimmer and require longer exposures, you'll need a clock drive on your telescope. &nbsp;And to get the best pictures, you'll need stacking software, which I think can be downloaded free off the internet. &nbsp;&nbsp;</p><p>Anything more complicated than this cannot be done "cheaply". &nbsp;Astrophotography of galaxies, nebula, and star clusters requires expensive equipment and tons of time, patience, and practice.&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

R

RixPJ

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I dont have one yet, I was just looking for ideas. I think I am more inclined to try a webcam to start, or are these also expensive?I do have access to a Kodak 7 or 12mp digital camera, i guess that universal stand could work, it is quite a nice idea. But I have tried to put the camera up to the eyepeice and I have yet to get any clear shots..probably due to me shaking or something.. <br /> Posted by Cassini12</DIV></p><p>A webcam is definitely the way to go if you have a laptop available.&nbsp; You will achieve far better images with it than using a regular camera and a mounting bracket.</p><p>I started out using a $99 imager called the NexImage which is sold by Celestron.&nbsp; It is basically a webcam with a 1.25in eyepiece adapter.&nbsp; The best webcam for thejob is the Philips SPC900NC which you can find at a very cheap price these days.&nbsp; You will need a 1.25in adapter for it which will cost about $20.&nbsp; You can find them on eBay. </p><p>I put together an article which is posted on the Cloudy Nights astronomy website where I describe my first two years in astro-imaging. &nbsp; You may find it worth a look.&nbsp; It is a very rewarding hobby but the learning curve is pretty steep to start with.&nbsp; </p><p>Here is the link&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;CN has very active forums for all levels of amateur astronomers (for both visual observers and those into imaging).&nbsp; Certainly worth a look.&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

Mee_n_Mac

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>A webcam is definitely the way to go if you have a laptop available.&nbsp; You will achieve far better images with it than using a regular camera and a mounting bracket.I started out using a $99 imager called the NexImage which is sold by Celestron.&nbsp;Posted by <strong>RixPJ</strong></DIV><br /><br />First thanks for the info.&nbsp;May I ask what you think the comparison would be btw the imager above and using a dSLR (APS-C, 6MP) for planetary pics on a scope similar to the OP's.&nbsp; Certainly focusing would be harder but assuming I had the patience ... would I get better, similar or perhaps worse results using the dSLR vs the NexImage "webcam" ?&nbsp; I"d think that resolution and sensitivity favor the dSLR but for the limitations imposed by the scope, perhaps those advantages don't much matter. I ask because I have part of a T mount (for my old film SLR) and I'll guess a new adapter/ring would be less than the NexImager. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>-----------------------------------------------------</p><p><font color="#ff0000">Ask not what your Forum Software can do do on you,</font></p><p><font color="#ff0000">Ask it to, please for the love of all that's Holy, <strong>STOP</strong> !</font></p> </div>

R

RixPJ

<p>At first glance the DSLR should be streets ahead of a webcam imager such as the NexImage or Philips SPC900NC.&nbsp; For planetary images though, you need lots of very short exposure images to 'stack'.&nbsp; Stacking images averages out noise leaving the constant 'signal'.&nbsp;&nbsp; Short exposures are desirable because you can capture good data in brief moments of good seeing. A DSLR can't take the number of frames required within a reasonable timeframe.&nbsp; For example, when imaging Jupiter, the fast rotation of the planet means that you have about 2 minutes to capture all your frames before the image would blur.&nbsp; A webcam running at 10fps would capture 1200 frames in that time.&nbsp; If you discard half of these you still have 600 to average (stack).&nbsp; Most people use a free program called Registax that aligns the frames, discards those of poor quality and then stacks the good ones.&nbsp; It is pretty amazing to see how a grainy webcam frame turns into a very smooth and sharp final image. </p><p>For deep space imaging the DSLR comes into it's own because long exposures are required. The webcam (even when modified for long exposures) is significantly inferior for those targets (nebulae, galaxies etc).</p><p>Probably not the best explanation but I hope it helps a little. </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

Mee_n_Mac

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>{snip} Probably not the best explanation but I hope it helps a little. <br />Posted by <strong>RixPJ</strong></DIV></p><p>It was a very good explanation !&nbsp; Thx !!&nbsp; The advantages that a dSLR brings don't outweigh it's negatives (frame rate) for planetary pic taking on that size scope.&nbsp; For DSOs and w/a large aperture, it's a different story. Makes sense to me.&nbsp; </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>-----------------------------------------------------</p><p><font color="#ff0000">Ask not what your Forum Software can do do on you,</font></p><p><font color="#ff0000">Ask it to, please for the love of all that's Holy, <strong>STOP</strong> !</font></p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Hi all,&nbsp; What is a cheap way for me to take pictures of the things I am viewing through my Meade Telescopes, DS-2114 and a smaller 60mm version (dont recall model#).&nbsp;Will any webcam do? I think I should mention, I know nothing about "exposure times" or anything like that, So I am hoping for now, to just get some still pics of things like The moon, Saturn, Etc. to see on my pc and email to friends/family.&nbsp;One day I will step it up and buy a nice camera made for the scopes or whatever. But for now what are my options? &nbsp;Thank you all in advance as usual.-Cassini <br />Posted by Cassini12</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>I think the first thing you need to do is get your scope working for your eye. If you still have a fuzzy saturn, then astrophotgraphy would be a complete waste.</p><p>IMHO, concentrate on getting your (or another) scope working so your eye is pleased with the views, then worry about photography.</p><p>My 2 cents,</p><p>Wayne<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts