Astronaut, Cosmonaut? Time for a new Name!

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bugs99

Being this is the 21st Century and we have Cosmonauts in command of Astronauts and Astronauts in charge of Cosmonauts. Don't you think it's about time to rename both under one name?

M

michaelmozina

Yes. I vote for name "space pirates" matey. Arrrrrg! :) Welcome to the board by the way. :)

P

PiotrSatan

We should rename them to "comrade space explorer". It fits with communistic "comrade" before the title "space explorer"

M

MeteorWayne

Let's just can the political agenda, OK?

Please stick the the subject best fitted for SS&A.

C

chyten

If they hold the stick, they should be called "pilots". If not, "passengers".

I think the terms like "astronaut", "cosmonaut", "aeronaut", "aviator" and "aviatrix" all are indicative of a profession in its infancy. When it becomes common enough, they all become pilots and passengers.

The best illustration of this I ever heard came from a 9-year old whom I asked if she wanted to be an astronaut when she grew up. Her response: "When I grow up I hope there won't be any astronauts. Just people whose job happens to be in space."

R

ramparts

Person 1: "What do you do for a living?"
Person 2: "I'm a pilot."
Person 1: "You mean the kind of pilot that flies an airplane, or the kind of pilot that flies a spaceship?"
Person 2: "The kind of pilot that flies a spaceship."
Person 1: "Oh. The fact that we use the same word for those two occupations is too ambiguous as to be useful in practice."
Person 2: "I agree."

or

Person 1: "What do you do for a living?"
Person 2: "I'm an astronaut."
Person 1: "Awesome!"

Which of these is easier for day-to-day communication?

D

DanODea

Pilot is also a nautical term, and used for more than one type of skill in that context.

I agree that "comonaut" and "astronaut" were both glorified terms for rocket jockeys, as is "taikonaut".

S

SpeedFreek

I was going to suggest spacepilot, but then again, not all astronauts/cosmonauts/taikonauts actually do any piloting on a mission.

How about.... Spacecrew ? :x

Z

ZenGalacticore

What do you do for a living?

I'm a lawyer.

What kind of lawyer? Trial, environmental, corporate, accounting, criminal, defense, prosecutor, civil, or divorce lawyer?

I think the word 'Astronaut' works just fine. Anyway, what's in a name? We could call roses 'rackadackdillies', and they'd still be red, pink and white flowers.

How about Space Pilgrims. :lol:

R

ramparts

ZenGalacticore":25fl1y9h said:
What do you do for a living?

I'm a lawyer.

What kind of lawyer? Trial, environmental, corporate, accounting, criminal, defense, prosecutor, civil, or divorce lawyer

The difference between a trial lawyer and a corporate lawyer is about the same magnitude as the difference between a guy who flies from JFK to LAX and a guy who goes into space.

Raise your hands if you agree with that statement!

*surveys the room*

Nope, looks empty in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts