Astronaut Rescue Instrument

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hk8900

EVA is quite dangerous because there is a risk of detaching from the cord connecting them and the mother ship<br />As I know, there is not yet any means to save the astronaut now<br />I watched the movie "Mars Mission" and I had noticed that there is an imaginary instrument which can rescue astronauts who accidentally disconnected from the mothership<br />Inspired from it, I try to design a little and simple instrument called "Magnetic Rescue Instrument for EVAs"<br />Please give some comments on it, thanks

T

tap_sa

Most space hardware is made of aluminium which is diamagnetic. A magnet won't stick to such material, in fact fast approaching magnet would induce currents with such magnetic field that would repel the magnet.

H

hk8900

Oh, thanks for reminding me about that<br />How about adding a piece of permanent magnet on the spacesuit?<br />The opposite poles attract.......... <br />so that the approaching electromagnet will stick firmly to the permanent magnet

T

tap_sa

<font color="yellow">"How about adding a piece of permanent magnet on the spacesuit? "</font><br /><br />Magnets are heavy and may interfere with other apparatus the astronaut works with. I'd go for patches of Velcro around astronaut suit. Once launched the projectile could deploy Velcro 'tentacles' to increase chances of capture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts