Astronauts on Mars

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LKD

In thinking on the limited atmosphere of Mars, can an astronaut stand on the surface with just a breathing apparatus and some very warm clothes? I understand in space that your blood will boil through your skin and you will die in a very unpleasant manor due to pressure differences, but is there enough air on Mars do go without an airtight suit? I already assume the answer is no, so this is for confirmation that leads to the next question.

How close is that planet to being able to stand on the surface without severe protection? Are any other planets in our solar system capable of us performing such an act ignoring the cold factor, but including gravity?

O

origin

LKD":330pxahg said:
In thinking on the limited atmosphere of Mars, can an astronaut stand on the surface with just a breathing apparatus and some very warm clothes? I understand in space that your blood will boil through your skin and you will die in a very unpleasant manor due to pressure differences, but is there enough air on Mars do go without an airtight suit? I already assume the answer is no, so this is for confirmation that leads to the next question.

How close is that planet to being able to stand on the surface without severe protection? Are any other planets in our solar system capable of us performing such an act ignoring the cold factor, but including gravity?

No that would be a bad idea. The air pressure on mars is about 10 mbar, the pressure on earth is about 1000 mbar. So any liquid water above 0c would boil, like the water in you - it would be bad.

Hi LKD,

Not not nearly enough atmospheric pressure on Mars to prevent blood boiling.

Average atmospheric pressure on the surface of Mars, is 6.1 mb, or approx the same as the same as Earth's at around 35 KM / 22 miles above sea level.

Even at the depths of the Hellas Basin, still only around 10 mb or the same as Earth's at approx 30 KM / 19 miles above sea level.

At the one bar levels in the atmospheres of Venus, Titan, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus & Neptune, a thermal airtight suit with an insulated heated oxygen bottle would probably suffice (would not need to be heated at Venus as at the 1 Bar level there, temps are still approx 403 Kelvin / 130 Celsius)!!!!!

Regarding gravity, all except for Jupiter would not be a problem. With Saturn & Neptune at the 1 bar level, you would feel a little heavy approx 17% & 19% greater than Earth respectively. Jupiter would be a problem at approx 2.65 times Earth G at the one bar level.

Uranus would be 0.93 G, Venus 0.92 G & Titan 0.14 G at one bar levels, so obviously you would be lighter.

Andrew Brown.

S

Solifugae

How does your blood boil when it's in the sealed system of your blood vessels?

M

MeteorWayne

When the outside pressure is low enough, blood vessels don't have the strength to provide protection. Remember, in earth terms, the martian atmospheric pressure would be a pretty good vacuum.

L

LKD

Thank you kindly. That is exactly the answer I was hoping for.

I am still stunned and amazed that it is the further out we head instead of the closer to the sun that we find environments easier to tolerate and more resources to utilize. There is barely any water but for our own planet in the inner circle, but if you go to Saturn, there is a moon that geysers water from the excess. Really amazing.

S

Solifugae

MeteorWayne":3skvpjby said:
When the outside pressure is low enough, blood vessels don't have the strength to provide protection.

So, they expand and burst?

S

Shpaget

They definitely expand. I'm not sure if they burst (might be) but expanding is enough.
When the volume of the blood vessels increases, and the volume of the blood remains the same, that difference must be compensated so the water in the blood starts to boil.
Air bubbles (or in this case water vapor bubbles) in blood vessels are very dangerous since they block the flow of blood and you asphyxiate (no distribution of oxygen).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts