Astrophotography - Help for a Novice

Jul 12, 2022
Visit site
Hi,
I'm completely new to this concept, however I would love to use my Olympus OM-D E-M1x on a telescope to take pictures, I'm struggling on what components I would need to achieve this and what should I be looking for on a telescope that would support me attaching the camera, I was considering the Astromania T2 Mount but not sure what words or acronyms I need to look out for when looking at telescopes to attach it to?

Kind regards

I'm very weak on astrophotography, but I think I can help a little...

You are on the right track with the T2 mount. You should consider two pieces: the adapter for your camera that gives you a barrel extending from your camera; a 2" to 1-1/4" adapter. Smaller scopes don't often have a 2" dia. focusing unit.

A wireless shutter remote control unit is important, too.

The > 2 lbs. of camera weight isn't all that heavy, but it depends on your mount and scope. A counterweight might minimize issues, but nothing fancy is needed. [You should rebalance your telescope once all weights are attached.]

A handy rule to use when imaging the sky is found here.

For more information, I suggest you jump on Cloudynights.com where amateur observers love to talk about gear, though perhaps others will help you here as well.

Latest posts