Astrophotography through a Dobsonian Telescope

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nevers

If you're thinking about getting a Dobsonian Telescope for the purpose of using it for Astrophotography, especially those Deep Space Objects: I'm offering these examples of photos I've taken with mine.<br /><br />These photos were taken at Death Valley, California (very dark skies) through a Meade 16" Starfinder Dobsonian Telescope with a 25mm eyepiece. The magnification is 90x. The camera was a 5 mega pixel Canon Powershot G5 using Orion's Orion's SteadyPix Camera Mount. Exposure times were 15 seconds each with the camera set at f/2 and ISO settings at 50.<br /><br />As you can see, the two objects are fairly large, bright objects: The Great Orion Nebula and The Cigar Galaxy. With a guided or tracked telescope they would be phenomenal photos: even with a much smaller telescope. They are not bad as is, especially for a single frame in a Dob. The photos have been processed with Adobe Elements. I'm offering these photos as an example and to help you make a better choice when thinking about what kind of 'scope to get.

N

nevers

Of course, both photos are reduced in quality so they fit the format of this website. So now you see why it is probably NOT advisable to purchase a Dobsonian for the purpose of Astrophotography. They gather a great amount of light but smear it across the sky!<br /><br />I've tried taking multiple photos and stacking them with RegiStax (a photo stacking program) and it only makes it worse.

N

nexius

Thank you so much... I've been really debating on a astro photo scope!I wanted to see some visual proof im tired of just reading articles do you have any other Telescope pictures up ?

N

nevers

Glad to be of some help. Yes, I have some others but not very good.<br /><br />StarNevada Astrophotography<br /><br />These are a few years old. Now I know a little more about photography and editing but haven't tried anything new. They were taken with a point and shoot camera: not one of those fancy astro-cameras though.

N

nexius

awesome man I want to get into astrophoto. may have some questions do you have AIM or e-Mail? I have a Nikon D50 and Im looking for a godo scope heh

I

ianke

Have you concidered another option? You could add A ServoCat system to the exhisting light bucket instesd of adding a whole new telescope. I understand that they really make tracking a target pretty nice with a Dob.<br /><br />I did not order this with my new Dob, but I did think it over pretty hard. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

I

ianke

Good to know for future references.<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.