At least one new post has been made to this topic. etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mental_avenger

When attempting to post a reply I sometimes get this notice while my reply remains unposted.

At least one new post has been made to this topic. You may wish to review your post in light of this.

All that does is slow things down and is totally unnecessary. I suggest that feature be eliminated.

M

MeteorWayne

I disagree. Sometimes when I'm doing a straight reply (no quote) to the previous post, this lets me know that I need to make clear who I am replying to. I find it slightly annoying, but useful.

D

doublehelix

I think its usefulness outranks its annoyance factor (in other words, it's a feature, not a bug! ;) ).

We have no plans to ditch it, so it will remain.

-dh

M

mental_avenger

dh,
I don’t see any usefulness for such a feature. In the eight years I have been posting on SDC, there has never been an occasion where that feature would have been helpful. With the boards running so very sloooooooowly, all it does now is slow things down even more. It is irritating enough to have to wait ten times longer than it should for a page to load, but to have to wait that long for nothing is ridiculous. IMO, if anything you post has to depend upon something someone else has posted in the meantime, you probably shouldn’t have written it.

If you quote a post to respond to, or simply include a simple salutation (such as dh,) the feature has no purpose.

D

drwayne

Interesting. I see it as the machine giving me a chance to see whether new replies that have popped
up since I started drafting my reply have changed the landscape enough to change (or eliminate the
need for) my reply.

This usually comes up for me in responding to questions, where an answer (usually better than mine)
has appeared while I draft, or a further clarification of the question which changes my reply comes up.
It does have the effect of showing me stuff that I might miss if I drift into one of my myopic reply to
a specific post modes.

As always, all YMMV qualifiers apply.

M

mental_avenger

drwayne":1gzxu1sb said:
Interesting. I see it as the machine giving me a chance to see whether new replies that have popped up since I started drafting my reply have changed the landscape enough to change (or eliminate the
need for) my reply.
Personally, I would rather make that decision rather than having a machine make if for me. As for the “landscape” changing that dramatically, I have never actually seen that happen. But, on the rare occasions that it might happen, we do have the handy edit feature.

As for eliminating the need for your reply, there may be two considerations. If your reply is sufficiently different, perhaps the members would like to see it as well to make a comparison. If your reply is the same as one posted, having the confirmation your reinforcement of the reply may be useful in members deciding the validity of the opinion. In both cases, the posting of your reply would still be helpful, IMO.

This usually comes up for me in responding to questions, where an answer (usually better than mine) has appeared while I draft, or a further clarification of the question which changes my reply comes up.
Gee, I have never personally seen the first instance. :D , and the edit function solves the second.

It does have the effect of showing me stuff that I might miss if I drift into one of my myopic reply to a specific post modes.
Unless the feature comes up for edits to posts, I don’t see how that applies.

Suggestion 1:
Give members the option of turning that feature on or off. :D :D :D :D

Suggestion 2:
Turn off that feature until the pages are loading normally, instead of so very very sloooooooooowly. :D

Suggestion 3:
Poll the members to see how many actually think that feature is useful and how many think it interferes, especially while pages are loading so slowly.

S

Swampcat

Personally, I see no use for this feature. Editing works for me.

OTOH, the stay logged in feature would be nice...if it worked ;)

D

doublehelix

I personally like the post review feature, but I am able to put my feelings aside... after more data is collected.

I am going to create a poll about this issue. I will make it accessible to all forums, so anyone can vote anywhere on the board. The poll will last a week. The membership will determine the outcome.

Stay tuned! :mrgreen:

-dh

M

MeteorWayne

It comes up so rarely, and when it does, I find it useful, I will vote to keep it.
Probably only one of 50 or so posts for me.

D

drwayne

"Gee, I have never personally seen the first instance."

Thanks MA for a chuckle and giggle at work! Big :)

Wayne (the slow)

S

Shpaget

*will vote for keeping*

I don't find it as annoying as the "This message has been posted successfully" page or however it goes which shows up after every single posting.
That "feature" even has nerves to call itself "user friendly" or something, IIRC from the last time I administered phpBB board. :evil:
Just show me my post and I won't need you to tell me it was successfully posted :roll:

M

MeteorWayne

Shpaget":2x4a4743 said:
*will vote for keeping*

I don't find it as annoying as the "This message has been posted successfully" page or however it goes which shows up after every single posting.

LOL, I find that one quite useful because of the way my ISP has been up and down like a grandkid on a trampoline lately. At least I know the message went through before it crashed.

S

Shpaget

Well your post either went through or it didn't.
The fact that it tells you it did makes no difference since if this was removed it would tell you the same thing by showing you your message where it belongs.

No matter how you configure this part, the actual posting is only one click away from typing and if in that moment your connection breaks your post won't be saved, no matter what lies behind that one click.

D

doublehelix

Shpaget":26glemp5 said:
*will vote for keeping*

That "feature" even has nerves to call itself "user friendly" or something, IIRC from the last time I administered phpBB board. :evil:
Just show me my post and I won't need you to tell me it was successfully posted :roll:

Yeah, this is a phpBB thing and it would take more time than we have to program it out. Sorry, guys.

-dh

S

Shpaget

in posting.php, somewhere around line 1000, find

Code:
meta_refresh(3, $redirect_url);
$message = ($mode == 'edit') ? 'POST_EDITED' : 'POST_STORED';

and replace it with

Code:
 meta_refresh(0, $redirect_url);
$message = ($mode == 'edit') ? 'POST_EDITED' : 'POST_STORED';

The difference is only the reduction of delay from 3 seconds to 0 which won't remove that page, but it will make it reload and forward you to your post much quicker.

D

doublehelix

Thanks, Shpaget! I'll forward it on. :mrgreen:

-dh (not a programmer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts