Atlas V launch photos

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Swampcat

<p>SpaceflightNow.com has some nice photos of the April 14 Atlas V launch of a commercial satellite.</p><p>You can see the photos <font color="#339966"><strong>here</strong></font> .</p><p>Is it my imagination, an artifact of the viewing angle, or is the exhaust plume not coming straight out of the business end? It almost looks like the TVC is directing the rocket away from the launch support tower. Anyone know or have a good guess?</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="3" color="#ff9900"><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong><em>------------------------------------------------------------------- </em></strong></font></p><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong><em>"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical. Unsuccessful rebellions, indeed, generally establish the encroachments on the rights of the people which have produced them. An observation of this truth should render honest republican governors so mild in their punishment of rebellions as not to discourage them too much. It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government."</em></strong></font></p><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong>Thomas Jefferson</strong></font></p></font> </div>

C

Cygnus_X_1

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>SpaceflightNow.com has some nice photos of the April 14 Atlas V launch of a commercial satellite.You can see the photos here .Is it my imagination, an artifact of the viewing angle, or is the exhaust plume not coming straight out of the business end? It almost looks like the TVC is directing the rocket away from the launch support tower. Anyone know or have a good guess? <br /> Posted by Swampcat</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>The SRB has a canted nozzlew&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

N

nimbus

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>SpaceflightNow.com has some nice photos of the April 14 Atlas V launch of a commercial satellite.You can see the photos here .Is it my imagination, an artifact of the viewing angle, or is the exhaust plume not coming straight out of the business end? It almost looks like the TVC is directing the rocket away from the launch support tower. Anyone know or have a good guess? <br /> Posted by Swampcat</DIV>You mean the shape of the exhaust plume, or something else? &nbsp;This is what I see.&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

N

newsartist

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>You mean the shape of the exhaust plume, or something else? &nbsp;This is what I see.&nbsp; <br />Posted by nimbus</DIV></p><p>That seems to have been shot with a very close, extreme wide angle. Notice how the vertical lightning towers seem to slant toward each other?</p><p>&nbsp;What strikes me is how fast that puppy pitches over. It is just barely clear of the tower and is already well below the vertical!<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts