Atmospheric CO2 will pass an alarming milestone in 2021

It would seem that the increases in CO2 are correlated to the increases in the human population's increasing use of technology, water, food and depleting natural resources. Just limiting the rise in CO2 by drastic or other means seems to be a short term solution given the unrestrained increases in the Earth's human population. Perhaps the only resolution to being on the "Horns of such a Dilemma" rests with Nature and Evolution..

It would seem that the increases in CO2 are correlated to the increases in the human population's increasing use of technology, water, food and depleting natural resources. Just limiting the rise in CO2 by drastic or other means seems to be a short term solution given the unrestrained increases in the Earth's human population. Perhaps the only resolution to being on the "Horns of such a Dilemma" rests with Nature and Evolution..
Handy, to conclude there is nothing to be done so you don't need to support or make efforts to address the problem. Don't even need to deny the problem is real, but it is still a position that aligns well with those who base their opposition to action on choosing to ignore the three decades of consistent, top level science and science based advice or denying it is valid. With no responsibility taken there is no inconvenient requirement to do anything. But the consequences of failure to address it - according to that advice - will be catastrophic.

I think, quite the opposite to you - that we can do a LOT that is well short of drastic and we should. Working towards energy abundance by means that have low emissions is a very direct and practical approach and the options for doing that have improved greatly in a very short time, by the efforts of scientists, engineers and entrepreneurs. Currently most new energy supply being built comes from solar and wind and the success of these solutions are a great example of people apart from Environmentalists taking the problem seriously.

Last edited:
My opinion: The untoward effects of increases in greenhouse gasses are due to the geometric increase in the Earth's human population. Those problems are very real, but so far distant. The current alternatives to fossil fuel use, i.e.: wind, solar, nuclear, clustered housing, semi-primitive lifestyles, etc are insufficient to "keep the lights on, the heater and AC running, two cars in the garage" and other goodies. Thus, because humans rapaciously want/demand such benefits of fossil fuel based energy, the planet will be in " A Heap of Trouble" probably sometime around 2050 ce., (Jay Forrester, MIT study in the 60's). I don't have any solutions for our "driving down the road where the bridge is out". But I perceive from history that Nature and Evolution will eventually have a solution which will be to no ones liking. In the interim, politics will have an opportunity albeit contentious.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts