beginner's telescope

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jadibartolomeo

i'm new to this, and i'm looking to buy a telescope for under $500. i've looked around at various companies' websites and am lost. what do you guys recommend in this price range?

J

jadibartolomeo

crazyeddie, thanks for the reply. that scope looks good.<br /><br />btw, they have some really good articles on their site.<br /><br />any other suggestions?

J

jadibartolomeo

i live in an apartment complex. is it useless to try to use a telescope in an area lit as well as most apt complexes? most often, i'd like to use the scope on my balcony and have occasional trips to the outskirts of town to better viewing. however, i'm wondering if it's a waste of money to try to even use the scope in a well-lit area.

M

mpai

Buying filters as suggested by crazyeddie is strongly recommended. You will soon realize how much you can see even in the light polluted skies in your city. You can also buy astro-solar safety filters like Baader or H-alpha to watch the Sun. Take care that you buy approved filters. These filters should fix on the front part of the object lens. Not your eyepieces. Check link<br /><br />http://www.coronadofilters.com/safety/halpha.htm<br /><br />Though the sun is less active, watching sunspots can be interesting too. You will not regret buying these filters when the Solar Eclipse or the Mercury or Venus transit is visible from your areas.<br /><br />Over a period of time, one can invest in a CCD costing around $299 from meade for astro-photography. <br /><br />Clear skies

M

madgaff

<p>Hi all, i have recently become very interested in astronomy. The idea mainly came from watching a series call "Universe" It is most exubrating. I was taken aback by it. I have decided that i would like to get telescope. I live in a subarban area, rather built up but i think i could still beinifit. I do not want to spend more than 500 euro on one. Im also curious about ways to capture the photo of what i will see?</p><p>I will buy a telescope from this website because it is local and ships to my area for a good price. </p><p>http://www.astronomy.ie/telescope.html</p><p>I am unsure just what type of telescope to go for. Any help would be much appreciated, i cannot spend this money without getting advice first. Thanks in advance.</p>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Hi all, i have recently become very interested in astronomy. The idea mainly came from watching a series call "Universe" It is most exubrating. I was taken aback by it. I have decided that i would like to get telescope. I live in a subarban area, rather built up but i think i could still beinifit. I do not want to spend more than 500 euro on one. Im also curious about ways to capture the photo of what i will see?I will buy a telescope from this website because it is local and ships to my area for a good price. http://www.astronomy.ie/telescope.htmlI am unsure just what type of telescope to go for. Any help would be much appreciated, i cannot spend this money without getting advice first. Thanks in advance. <br />Posted by madgaff</DIV></p><p>Welcome to Space.com!!<br /><br />You should post this question in Ask The Astronomer (the next forum down). This is the wrong place for your question.</p><p>There are many folks to help you there.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

M

madgaff

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Welcome to Space.com!!You should post this question in Ask The Astronomer (the next forum down). This is the wrong place for your question.There are many folks to help you there. <br />Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV></p><p>Will Do.<br /></p>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts