Beings Like Us in Parallel Universes

Aug 11, 2023
Visit site
Is it possible that there are beings like us in different universes that coexist in the same space, but they do not interact with each other?
This is a fascinating question to consider. If there are other universes, they would likely have different laws of physics than our own. This could mean that beings in these universes would be completely different from us, both physically and mentally. They might have different senses, different ways of thinking, and even different emotions.

It is also possible that these beings are not aware of our existence. They may be living their own lives in their own universe, completely oblivious to our world. Or, they may be aware of us, but they may have chosen not to interact with us.

We may never know for sure if there are other universes, or if they are inhabited by beings like us. But the possibility is certainly intriguing. It forces us to confront the limits of our own understanding of the universe. It also raises the question of whether or not we are truly alone in the cosmos.

What do you think? Is it possible that there are other universes inhabited by beings like us?

Reactions: rod
This is a fascinating question to consider. If there are other universes, they would likely have different laws of physics than our own. This could mean that beings in these universes would be completely different from us, both physically and mentally. They might have different senses, different ways of thinking, and even different emotions.

It is also possible that these beings are not aware of our existence. They may be living their own lives in their own universe, completely oblivious to our world. Or, they may be aware of us, but they may have chosen not to interact with us.

We may never know for sure if there are other universes, or if they are inhabited by beings like us. But the possibility is certainly intriguing. It forces us to confront the limits of our own understanding of the universe. It also raises the question of whether or not we are truly alone in the cosmos.

What do you think? Is it possible that there are other universes inhabited by beings like us?
spacetimediemn, I will make the assumption that you are presenting speculation here to ponder like this previous post, https://forums.space.com/threads/ex...s-echoes-across-the-cosmos.62646/#post-586493

If we accept this position as a postulate, that there are parallel universes surrounding the universe astronomer's measure and observed today from Earth, how can those parallel universe be confirmed by the scientific method and how could biological life evolve in those universes with possible different physical laws and be like us?

Reactions: Catastrophe
"What do you think? Is it possible that there are other universes inhabited by beings like us?"

This opens the door to many ideas here and as you previously indicated, likely some type of life very different than us here on Earth today. What I point out in post #2, remains, scientific testing here to verify.

Aug 11, 2023
Visit site
spacetimediemn, I will make the assumption that you are presenting speculation here to ponder like this previous post, https://forums.space.com/threads/ex...s-echoes-across-the-cosmos.62646/#post-586493

If we accept this position as a postulate, that there are parallel universes surrounding the universe astronomer's measure and observed today from Earth, how can those parallel universe be confirmed by the scientific method and how could biological life evolve in those universes with possible different physical laws and be like us?
I agree with you that the possibility of parallel universes is still speculation. There is no scientific evidence to prove that they exist, and it is difficult to say for sure how we would even go about testing for their existence.
Only time will tell if parallel universes exist. But for now, it is a fascinating topic to ponder and discuss.

Aug 11, 2023
Visit site
"What do you think? Is it possible that there are other universes inhabited by beings like us?"

This opens the door to many ideas here and as you previously indicated, likely some type of life very different than us here on Earth today. What I point out in post #2, remains, scientific testing here to verify.
By post #2, You're referring to my post about unidentified flying objects, correct?

By post #2, You're referring to my post about unidentified flying objects, correct?
No, my post #2 in this thread. Concerns verifying parallel universes and if they are very different than the universe astronomy documents today that we see like when I observe the Galilean moons moving around Jupiter and various Galilean moon eclipse events taking place.

Aug 11, 2023
Visit site
No, my post #2 in this thread. Concerns verifying parallel universes and if they are very different than the universe astronomy documents today that we see like when I observe the Galilean moons moving around Jupiter and various Galilean moon eclipse events taking place.
I see. You're referring to your post #2 in this thread, where you discuss the possibility of verifying parallel universes and whether they would be very different from the universe that astronomy documents today.
I agree with you that it is difficult to say for sure how we would even go about verifying the existence of parallel universes. However, I think it is an important question to consider, as it could have a profound impact on our understanding of the universe.

Aug 11, 2023
Visit site
There are reports on the forums about 10^500 different universes said to exist in the multiverse scenario for origins, https://forums.space.com/threads/bl...mars-space-ted-talks-you-need-to-watch.39002/

Quantum Fluctuations in Cosmology and How They Lead to a Multiverse, https://ui.adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2013arXiv1312.7340G/abstract
That's interesting! The article you linked mentions that there could be 10^500 different universes in the multiverse scenario. That's an incredibly large number, and it's hard to even comprehend what that would mean.

The article you linked discusses quantum fluctuations in cosmology and how they could lead to the multiverse. Quantum fluctuations are tiny, random changes in the fabric of spacetime. These fluctuations could have been caused by the Big Bang, and they could have led to the formation of different universes.

I'm glad you shared these articles with me. They've given me a lot to think about.

A parallel universe is impossible by definition.
The Universe is "all of space and time and their contents".
If we could verify the existence of another Universe it would be part of ours.
I hear you billslugg. Sky & Telescope back in 2012 published a report on the multiverse.

Cosmic Collisions, Sky & Telescope 124(6):20-26, 2012 (December)

My notes (some). 'Cosmic Collisions' in the December 2012 issue which reviewed the multiverse or bubble cosmology. "Efforts are underway in cosmology to establish that the big bang is part of an eternal inflating universe which during the early inflation period, about 1E-35 second after the big bang, some bubbles collided with our universe and left behind fingerprints in the cosmic microwave background radiation or CMBR that point to other universes and bubbles in cosmology. These bubble fingerprints could support that the universe is just part of a grand multiverse that is eternal and according to string theory, perhaps 1E+500 different universes exist" (p. 23).

That's interesting! The article you linked mentions that there could be 10^500 different universes in the multiverse scenario. That's an incredibly large number, and it's hard to even comprehend what that would mean.

The article you linked discusses quantum fluctuations in cosmology and how they could lead to the multiverse. Quantum fluctuations are tiny, random changes in the fabric of spacetime. These fluctuations could have been caused by the Big Bang, and they could have led to the formation of different universes.

I'm glad you shared these articles with me. They've given me a lot to think about.
The media enjoyes the multiverse story too,https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science/what-multiverse-ncna876136

Hollywood likes the multiverse too :) I enjoy what I can see using my telescopes :)

Reactions: spacetimedimen
Aug 11, 2023
Visit site
That's an interesting perspective. The definition of a universe is indeed "all of space and time and their contents." However, there is no scientific consensus on whether our universe is infinite or not. Some physicists believe that our universe is finite, while others believe that it is infinite.

If our universe is finite, then it must have a boundary. But what would be beyond the boundary? Would it be another universe? Or would it be nothing? We don't know.

The idea that our universe is infinite is also problematic. If our universe is infinite, then it would contain an infinite number of stars, planets, and galaxies. This would mean that there would be an infinite number of life forms in the universe. But we don't see any evidence of intelligent life beyond Earth.

So, what is the answer? Is our universe infinite or finite? We don't know. But the question is certainly worth pondering.

The multiverse theory is one possible explanation for what might lie beyond the boundary of our universe. The multiverse theory states that there are an infinite number of universes, each with its own unique set of laws of physics. It is possible that our universe is just one of many universes in the multiverse.

However, the multiverse theory is just a theory. There is no scientific evidence to support it. It is possible that our universe is the only universe that exists.

I read somewhere the Universe is "infinite but bounded".
It is bounded because when we look out at the edge all we is a wall of flames, which is red shifted cosmic fireball. (3K CMBR)
It is infinite because if we travel to the far edge, it will keep receeding.
Eventually the people back home would red shift into nothingness and disappear.
In essence, each different location in the Universe sees a different Universe thus there are an infinite number of them.

That's an interesting perspective. The definition of a universe is indeed "all of space and time and their contents." However, there is no scientific consensus on whether our universe is infinite or not. Some physicists believe that our universe is finite, while others believe that it is infinite.

If our universe is finite, then it must have a boundary. But what would be beyond the boundary? Would it be another universe? Or would it be nothing? We don't know.

The idea that our universe is infinite is also problematic. If our universe is infinite, then it would contain an infinite number of stars, planets, and galaxies. This would mean that there would be an infinite number of life forms in the universe. But we don't see any evidence of intelligent life beyond Earth.

So, what is the answer? Is our universe infinite or finite? We don't know. But the question is certainly worth pondering.

The multiverse theory is one possible explanation for what might lie beyond the boundary of our universe. The multiverse theory states that there are an infinite number of universes, each with its own unique set of laws of physics. It is possible that our universe is just one of many universes in the multiverse.

However, the multiverse theory is just a theory. There is no scientific evidence to support it. It is possible that our universe is the only universe that exists.
Just to point out something here. "However, the multiverse theory is just a theory. There is no scientific evidence to support it. It is possible that our universe is the only universe that exists."

When it comes to a theory in science, IMO the multiverse scenario needs much more evidence than what seems claimed for it today for the idea to be elevated to the status of a theory. Inflation is used that depends upon the inflaton in nature too, not to mention other items like strings and quantum gravity. Much of the 10^500 different universes depend upon math concepts and apparently little or no direct observations using nature and what we see today to show it is real like Galileo did for the heliocentric vs. geocentric solar system debates.

Reactions: spacetimedimen
Aug 11, 2023
Visit site
I read somewhere the Universe is "infinite but bounded".
It is bounded because when we look out at the edge all we is a wall of flames, which is red shifted cosmic fireball. (3K CMBR)
It is infinite because if we travel to the far edge, it will keep receeding.
Eventually the people back home would red shift into nothingness and disappear.
In essence, each different location in the Universe sees a different Universe thus there are an infinite number of them.
That's an interesting idea. The concept of an "infinite but bounded" universe. The idea is that the universe is infinite in size, but it is bounded by a cosmic horizon. This cosmic horizon is caused by the expansion of the universe. As the universe expands, the light from distant objects is redshifted, making it more and more difficult to see. Eventually, the light from distant objects will be redshifted so much that it will be completely invisible. This is the cosmic horizon.

Beyond the cosmic horizon, the universe is still there, but we cannot see it. This is because the light from beyond the cosmic horizon is redshifted beyond our ability to see it.

The idea of an infinite but bounded universe is a fascinating one. It raises several questions, such as what lies beyond the cosmic horizon and whether there are other universes beyond our own. These are questions that we may never be able to answer, but they are certainly worth pondering.

As for the idea that each different location in the universe sees a different universe, that is also an interesting idea. The universe may be so large and complex that different observers in different parts of the universe see different things. This could be due to the different laws of physics that may exist in different parts of the universe, or it could be due to the different ways that light is redshifted in different parts of the universe.

It is also possible that the universe is not infinite, but rather that it is finite and cyclical. This means that the universe would eventually reach a point where it would collapse in on itself and then start expanding again. If this is the case, then it is possible that different observers in different parts of the universe would see different things, depending on whether they were observing the universe during the expansion phase or the collapse phase.

Ultimately, we do not know what lies beyond the cosmic horizon or whether there are other universes beyond our own. However, the ideas that you have shared are certainly worth considering. They are fascinating and thought-provoking ideas that raise several interesting questions.

Aug 11, 2023
Visit site
Just to point out something here. "However, the multiverse theory is just a theory. There is no scientific evidence to support it. It is possible that our universe is the only universe that exists."

When it comes to a theory in science, IMO the multiverse scenario needs much more evidence than what seems claimed for it today for the idea to be elevated to the status of a theory. Inflation is used that depends upon the inflaton in nature too, not to mention other items like strings and quantum gravity. Much of the 10^500 different universes depend upon math concepts and apparently little or no direct observations using nature and what we see today to show it is real like Galileo did for the heliocentric vs. geocentric solar system debates.
You are correct. The multiverse theory is just a theory, and there is no scientific evidence to support it. Our universe may be the only universe that exists.

I agree that the multiverse theory needs much more evidence before it can be elevated to the status of a theory. Inflation, strings, and quantum gravity are all theoretical concepts that have not been proven to exist. The 10^500 different universes that are proposed by the multiverse theory are also based on mathematical models, and there is no way to know for sure if they exist.

I also agree with your point about Galileo. He used direct observations of the natural world to support his heliocentric theory of the solar system. This is a much stronger form of evidence than the mathematical models that are used to support the multiverse theory.

I think it is important to be sceptical of the multiverse theory until there is more evidence to support it.

Reactions: Helio and rod
The problem with speculations on parallel universes is that the multiverse idea still fails to qualify as a scientific theory. They are mere suppositions that have some mathematical support.

A parallel universe would be one of those universes that has no contact with our universe. Because there is no known method of verifying such an existence, this idea will remain in the realm of mathematics only.

This doesn't mean that there is zero potential evidence. There is some tiny evidence that they might be out there, though beyond any possible means of detecting them, found in the "cold spot" in the CMBR. The claim is that when quantum physics and string theory are overlayed with one another, then a finite number of universes are possible, each a universe unto themselves, and they could impact the homogeneity of our universe, thus producing a colder than average region on a large scale.

But there is still no evidence that the "cold spot" couldn't easily be due to some other event.

They do stir the imagination, so Hollywood is the best place for them.

I also agree with your point about Galileo. He used direct observations of the natural world to support his heliocentric theory of the solar system. This is a much stronger form of evidence than the mathematical models that are used to support the multiverse theory.
Yes, but we must be aware that this is not an issue of degree, but kind; there is no way, even using wild imagination, AFAIK, to allow a modern Galileo to discover another universe.

I must disagree with you here, Bill, simply because you did my disagreement for me when you said "universe" with the small "u' to begin with and came right back with "Universe" with the capital "U', the second being the 'set' of the first . . . then, of all things, you go on to be exactly right in your third line by again using the capital "U", dealing once more in the set. :rolleyes::)

I sometimes forget to capitalize names. "Universe" is correct. It is the only thing represented by the capital version. There is only one Universe by definition. "universe" can mean whatever someone wants it to. It has no precise definition in cosmology.

As to physics, and any "new physics", there is no magical difference between physics, just as there is no magical differences between Relativity and Quantum Mechanics, or all the "theories of physics" prevailing today.

It is in fact extensions of physics physicists are dealing in with rather than magic. But what is physics if not the magic of the infinities of multiverse universes within the Infinite MULTIVERSE Universe? A multi-dimensional pyramid which ultimately reduces to, flattens down upon, the bottom base of a common 1- and 2-dimensional PBB Horizon base.

Latest posts