Best view of Dwarf Planet 1 Ceres (from Earth) for the next 2155 years!

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MeteorWayne

<p>The Dwarf Planet 1 Ceres (discovered New Years Day 1801) is making it's best appearence in the past 150 years and for over the next 2000 years! On Feb 25th, it will be at opposition; this means it rises at sunset, is highest in the south at midnight, and sets at sunrise. It is also at it's brightest (Magnitude 6.9) since 1857 and won't be this close again until 4164 according to calculations by Roger Sinnott (S&T).</p><p>It is located above Leo the Lion's hindquarters (While Saturn, at magnitude +0.5, is located below Leo) and should be visible in binoculars if you know where to look. I'm searching for a finder chart, S&T will probably have one after tomorrow. A finder chart of some kind is essential, because it's movement against the background stars is&nbsp;quite slow , even over a period of a few days. Fortunately, there&nbsp;is a close pair of slightly brighter stars just above it,&nbsp;and a brighter star that creates&nbsp;an isosceles triangle that&nbsp; should be pretty distinctive right nearby. In fact Ceres will pass through that triangle on March 1-2.</p><p>Follow this thread for sightings, I'll begin to look the next clear night.</p><p>Of course we will get a much better view in 2014 when the Dawn spacecraft arrives for an extended visit.</p><p>MW</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

B

brandbll

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>The Dwarf Planet 1 Ceres (discovered New Years Day 1801) is making it's best appearence in the past 150 years and for over the next 2000 years! On Feb 25th, it will be at opposition; this means it rises at sunset, is highest in the south at midnight, and sets at sunrise. It is also at it's brightest (Magnitude 6.9) since 1857 and won't be this close again until 4164 according to calculations by Roger Sinnott (S&T).It is located above Leo the Lion's hindquarters (While Saturn, at magnitude +0.5, is located below Leo) and should be visible in binoculars if you know where to look. I'm searching for a finder chart, S&T will probably have one after tomorrow. A finder chart of some kind is essential, because it's movement against the background stars is&nbsp;quite slow , even over a period of a few days. Fortunately, there&nbsp;is a close pair of slightly brighter stars just above it,&nbsp;and a brighter star that creates&nbsp;an isosceles triangle that&nbsp; should be pretty distinctive right nearby. In fact Ceres will pass through that triangle on March 1-2.Follow this thread for sightings, I'll begin to look the next clear night.Of course we will get a much better view in 2014 when the Dawn spacecraft arrives for an extended visit.MW <br />Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV><br /><br />Does that mean the Hubble telescope could get a better shot of Ceres than the last time it took one? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font size="3">You wanna talk some jive? I'll talk some jive. I'll talk some jive like you've never heard!</font></p> </div>

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'><font color="#ff0000">Does that mean the Hubble telescope could get a better shot of Ceres than the last time it took one? <br />Posted by brandbll</font></DIV></p><p><strong><font size="2">Hi Brandon,</font></strong></p><p><font size="2" color="#000000"><strong>Indeed, that is very true. I don't have the figures to hand, but this present a brilliant opportunity to get the best views of 1 Ceres prior to DAWN's arrival. No doubt & I hope that Hubble Space Telescope will be pressed into service as well as other ground based observatories with adaptive optics.</strong></font></p><p><font size="2" color="#000000"><strong>The more we can gleam about 1 Ceres & 4 Vesta too&nbsp;for that matter prior to DAWN's arrival will help plan the orbital mission much better, particularly if more surface features can be identified, or moons can be found (I doubt either have any unless they are very small).</strong></font></p><p><strong><font size="2">Wonder if ground based RADAR could also be used, thopugh probably still too far away to be really useful.</font></strong></p><p><strong><font size="2">This is a real gift horse & NASA would be very unwise to look it in the mouth.</font></strong></p><p><font size="2" color="#000000"><strong>Andrew Brown.</strong></font></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080">"I suddenly noticed an anomaly to the left of Io, just off the rim of that world. It was extremely large with respect to the overall size of Io and crescent shaped. It seemed unbelievable that something that big had not been visible before".</font> <em><strong><font color="#000000">Linda Morabito </font></strong><font color="#800000">on discovering that the Jupiter moon Io was volcanically active. Friday 9th March 1979.</font></em></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://www.launchphotography.com/</font><br /><br /><font size="1" color="#000080">http://anthmartian.googlepages.com/thisislandearth</font></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://web.me.com/meridianijournal</font></p> </div>

B

brandbll

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Hi Brandon,Indeed, that is very true. I don't have the figures to hand, but this present a brilliant opportunity to get the best views of 1 Ceres prior to DAWN's arrival. No doubt & I hope that Hubble Space Telescope will be pressed into service as well as other ground based observatories with adaptive optics.The more we can gleam about 1 Ceres & 4 Vesta too&nbsp;for that matter prior to DAWN's arrival will help plan the orbital mission much better, particularly if more surface features can be identified, or moons can be found (I doubt either have any unless they are very small).Wonder if ground based RADAR could also be used, thopugh probably still too far away to be really useful.This is a real gift horse & NASA would be very unwise to look it in the mouth.Andrew Brown. <br />Posted by 3488</DIV><br /><br />So 4 Vesta would also be fairly close right now then?&nbsp; Is HST having any problems right now that would prohibit it from viewing either object? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font size="3">You wanna talk some jive? I'll talk some jive. I'll talk some jive like you've never heard!</font></p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>So 4 Vesta would also be fairly close right now then?&nbsp; Is HST having any problems right now that would prohibit it from viewing either object? <br />Posted by brandbll</DIV><br /><br />Actually, at this time Vesta is very close to aphelion; the furthest away from the sun&nbsp;that it gets.</p><p>It is 2.567 AU from the sun, aphelion is 2.572 AU. It is 2.7 AU from earth. Ceres is only 1.58 AU from earth.</p><p>http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/sbdb.cgi?sstr=Vesta;orb=1;cov=0;log=0;cad=0#orb</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

A

aphh

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Actually, at this time Vesta is very close to aphelion; the furthest away from the sun&nbsp;that it gets.It is 2.567 AU from the sun, aphelion is 2.572 AU. It is 2.7 AU from earth. Ceres is only 1.58 AU from earth.http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/sbdb.cgi?sstr=Vesta;orb=1;cov=0;log=0;cad=0#orb <br /> Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV></p><p>Magnitude 6.9 sounds too faint for binoculars, but I'll still give it a try (if clear skies occurred). I remember the Jupiter moons being between magnitude 4 - 5, and I could barely see them with binoculars. Being logarithmic scale, one full number more means many times fainter object.&nbsp;</p>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Magnitude 6.9 sounds too faint for binoculars, but I'll still give it a try (if clear skies occurred). I remember the Jupiter moons being between magnitude 4 - 5, and I could barely see them with binoculars. Being logarithmic scale, one full number more means many times fainter object.&nbsp; <br />Posted by aphh</DIV><br /><br />Mag 6.9 is well within binocular range; even small binoculars. Heck, on a good night I can see mag 6 stars here even in light polluted New Jersey with no optical aid, although +5.5 is the more common average.</p><p>The reason you probably had trouble seeing Jupiter's moons in binoculars was due to their proximity to Jupiter's bright disk, and the small separation between them. An isolated object is easily seen at that magnitude if it's not next to a bright object.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

A

adrenalynn

Sounds like two astrophotography targets in the same night, huh?&nbsp; ;). <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>.</p><p><font size="3">bipartisan</font>  (<span style="color:blue" class="pointer"><span class="pron"><font face="Lucida Sans Unicode" size="2">bī-pär'tĭ-zən, -sən</font></span></span>) [Adj.]  Maintaining the ability to blame republications when your stimulus plan proves to be a devastating failure.</p><p><strong><font color="#ff0000"><font color="#ff0000">IMPE</font><font color="#c0c0c0">ACH</font> <font color="#0000ff"><font color="#c0c0c0">O</font>BAMA</font>!</font></strong></p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Sounds like two astrophotography targets in the same night, huh?&nbsp; ;). <br />Posted by adrenalynn</DIV><br /><br />Actually 3, Comet Lulin will be right next to Saturn! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

A

adrenalynn

<p>Perfect.&nbsp; We're socked in now and forecasted to be so for the next week easily.</p><p>Did I mention Saturn hates me?</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>.</p><p><font size="3">bipartisan</font>  (<span style="color:blue" class="pointer"><span class="pron"><font face="Lucida Sans Unicode" size="2">bī-pär'tĭ-zən, -sən</font></span></span>) [Adj.]  Maintaining the ability to blame republications when your stimulus plan proves to be a devastating failure.</p><p><strong><font color="#ff0000"><font color="#ff0000">IMPE</font><font color="#c0c0c0">ACH</font> <font color="#0000ff"><font color="#c0c0c0">O</font>BAMA</font>!</font></strong></p> </div>

W

weeman

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>The Dwarf Planet 1 Ceres (discovered New Years Day 1801) is making it's best appearence in the past 150 years and for over the next 2000 years! On Feb 25th, it will be at opposition; this means it rises at sunset, is highest in the south at midnight, and sets at sunrise. It is also at it's brightest (Magnitude 6.9) since 1857 and won't be this close again until 4164 according to calculations by Roger Sinnott (S&T).It is located above Leo the Lion's hindquarters (While Saturn, at magnitude +0.5, is located below Leo) and should be visible in binoculars if you know where to look. I'm searching for a finder chart, S&T will probably have one after tomorrow. A finder chart of some kind is essential, because it's movement against the background stars is&nbsp;quite slow , even over a period of a few days. Fortunately, there&nbsp;is a close pair of slightly brighter stars just above it,&nbsp;and a brighter star that creates&nbsp;an isosceles triangle that&nbsp; should be pretty distinctive right nearby. In fact Ceres will pass through that triangle on March 1-2.Follow this thread for sightings, I'll begin to look the next clear night.Of course we will get a much better view in 2014 when the Dawn spacecraft arrives for an extended visit.MW <br />Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV><br /><br />It has been clear all week here in CO, hopefully I can get out over the course of the next week to try and spot this guy! Thanks for the heads up. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><strong><font color="#ff0000">Techies: We do it in the dark. </font></strong></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>"Put your hand on a stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit with that special girl for an hour and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.</strong><strong>" -Albert Einstein </strong></font></p> </div>

B

brandbll

Re: Best view of Dwarf Planet 1 Ceres (from Earth) for the next

I posted a post earlier on Pluck that somehow didn't go through. Anyways, i talked to the manager at Macalester College Observatory. http://www.macalester.edu/astronomy/obs ... index.html

Anyways, it's about a block from my moms house and i've never been smart enough to check in to regards about public viewing times. So, i wrote the manager of the facility about Ceres and he said if i showed up in the spring for their public viewing sessions they'd be more than happy to wheel the observatory around for a peak at Ceres. So you can bet i'll be checking that out during the first session this spring. When the time rolls around i'll ask some of you experts for some more advice on what i should ask to look at when i go there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts