Question BIG BANG EVIDENCE

Page 8 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
The problem with a future collapsing universe is it can't happen. We know this because we can see galaxies receding faster and faster towards a cosmic horizon. The rate of expansion is increasing, not decreasing as it would if there was a Big Crunch going to happen. At the edge of the visible universe, space is expanding faster than c. Galaxies are being lost every day and matter is not being created any more. It is a dire situation. At some point in the far future everything will disappear.
"Brevity may be the soul of wit but repetition is the heart of instruction." -- Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

Recession is this way in direction and magnitude, keeping creation / recreation:

(#537)

Catastrophe

"Science begets knowledge, opinion ignorance.
"The problem with a future collapsing universe is it can't happen. We know this because we can see galaxies receding faster and faster towards a cosmic horizon. The rate of expansion is increasing, not decreasing

or, as a hypothetical hour-long living creature might say at dusk

"The problem with a future 'getting light again' is it can't happen. We know this because we can see 'the getting darker' happening faster and faster towards a total blackness. The rate of getting dark is increasing, not decreasing

From post #170

It suggests that after about 14 billion years of the universe expanding since its formation, it may even start a slow phase of contraction “surprisingly soon,” maybe “less than 100 million years from now.”

Needless to say, "the hour-long living creature" is my invention, for the purposes of thus analogy, and refers to nothing else.

Cat :)

Do I agree with this paper?
Is my opinion correct?

[Submitted on 9 Jan 2024]

Non-singular cosmology from non-supersymmetric AdS instability conjecture​

Cao H. Nam
We show that the non-supersymmetric AdS instability conjecture can point to how quantum gravity removes the initial Big Bang singularity, leading to a potential resolution for the past-incomplete inflationary universe. From the constraints on the dynamics of the universe realized as the nucleation of a thin-wall bubble mediating the decay of the non-supersymmetric AdS vacuum, we find the critical temperature Tc and the critical scale factor ac for which the universe exists. These critical quantities are all finite and determined in terms of the parameters specifying the stringy 10D AdS vacuum solutions. Additionally, we derive the prediction of quantum gravity for Tc and ac relying on the inflationary observations.

Does this mean the end of the BIG BANG THEORY?

Is their parts that can be saved?

For decades I supported the BBT with tooth and nail.

But! sitting on a theory that had no foundations, lead me elsewhere.

It does not mean that I'm right.

If I posted this paper before I do apologize.

[Submitted on 27 Dec 2023 (v1), last revised 5 Feb 2024 (this version, v2)]

Gravitational Waves from Inflaton Decay and Bremsstrahlung​

Anna Tokareva
The concept of early Universe inflation resolves several problems of hot Big Bang theory and quantitatively explains the origin of the inhomogeneities in the present Universe. However, it is not possible to arrange inflation in a scalar field model with renormalizable potential, such that it would not contradict the recent Planck data. For this reason, inflaton must have also higher derivative couplings suppressed at least by the Planck scale. We show that these couplings may be relevant during reheating and lead to non-negligible production of gravitons. We consider the possibility that the unitarity breaking scale for the model of inflation is lower than the Planck scale and compute production of gravitons during reheating, due to the inflaton decay to two gravitons and graviton bremsstrahlung process. The spectrum of produced gravitons is crucially dependent on reheating temperature and inflaton mass. We find that for low reheating temperature decay to gravitons lead to significant amount of dark radiation. Confronting this result with CMB constraints, we find reheating dependent bounds on the unitarity breaking scale. We also compare the obtained gravitational wave signals with the projected limits of future high frequency gravitational wave experiments.

There is always a balance.
Interesting Reading

[Submitted on 1 Jun 2023]

God and the Big-Bang: Past and Modern Debates Between Science and Theology​

Gabriele Gionti S.J
A short phenomenological account of the genesis and evolution of the universe is presented with emphasis on the primordial phases as well as its physical composition, i.e. dark matter and dark energy. We discuss Einstein's theory of General Relativity and its consequences for the birth of modern relativistic astrophysics. We introduce the Big-Bang theory of Mons. Lemaitre as well as the competing theory of the Steady State Universe of Fred Hoyle. Since Big-Bang theory appeared quite in agreement with Christian doctrine of creation, Pope Pius XII delivered a message to the pontifical Academy of Sciences in 1951 claiming a certain agreement between the creation account in the book of Genesis and the Big-Bang theory (a concordist view), a position which he did not repeat later. On the other hand, Lemaitre always kept separate the scientific and theological planes as two parallel "lines" never intersecting, i.e., as two complementary "magisteria". Similar kind of tensions, between science and theology, emerge also today with the Hartle-Hawking solution to the Wheeler-DeWitt equation in quantum cosmology and its related speculations. To avoid some sort of confusion between theological and physics concepts, we, briefly, summarise the concept of creation in Christian theology.

Forum participants: Enjoyed great and mostly logical arguments and points of views.

During past 150 years physics has reached such great estimates, discoveries and understanding of nature of Universe.

With accelerated pace including BSM, JWST, other probes, new accelerators, and with QFT QM Quantum Gravity coupled with ultimate information content of matter-energy forms, who knows which theory will survive test of time, very small compared to lifetime of our own star, let alone of stellar and galactic formulation and lifecycles.

Hence to think that we can stay rigid would be to deny progress of type we have seen in last few hundred years.

We also know that all this hard earned knowledge can be destroyed if certain state actors or others take unacceptable risks and put humanity at loss. We have seen fanatics destroy libraries and treasures of certain civilizations in past 1000+ years.

Hence science needs also a stable peaceful creative deliberation that nurtures coexistence with nature even though our star and universe is constantly having enormous storms.

Which theory whether BB or only local BB will survive next 50 years is the question?

Electroweak, Higgs field, Quantum Gravity with information content and cognition-entity common to all interpretations, will determine relevance and proofs of new understanding and theories, yet taking sides is one way to push an argument to its logical conclusion, for example classical mechanics did serve its propose for ages and still does for most practical purposes.

More rants as readers' patience will permit
Regards,
Ravi
(Dr. Ravi Sharma, Ph.D. USA)
NASA Apollo Achievement Award
ISRO Distinguished Service Awards
Former MTS NASA HQ MSEB Apollo
Former Scientific Secretary ISRO HQ
Ontolog Board of Trustees
Particle and Space Physics
Senior Enterprise Architect
SAE Fuel Cell Tech Committee voting member for 20 years.
http://www.linkedin.com/in/drravisharma

Reactions: Atlan0001
Dr. Sharma (kind of odd, I was a patient of a Dr. Sharma in the medial field),
I Liked some pieces and did not at all like other pieces of your post. I want to explain why the going in two directions at once?!

Because I'm a seventy plus years student of history (histories), complexity and chaos, natural laws, incompatible natures -- including matter / antimatter human sameness (thus the ultimate difference) -- of more advanced life species (again the increase in complexity and chaos (what is tyranny and anarchy, freedom and liberty, order and disorder, high dynamic civilizations and low dynamic static civilizations (as Cicero and Will Durant, for two, Thomas Jefferson for another, said, the evolution of far more ruled adult children of an ever increasingly greater savagery)))!

What have I seen and realized in that time for the answer?! Stephen Hawking, among others, seeing and realizing the same answer?! A 'Genesis' in Space Frontier opening up of the system . . . and beginning 'Exodus' and spread of life (out!) from the Earth to the same, soonest (ASAP)! Else, as Stephen Hawking emphatically put it in no uncertain terms, the inexorable petrification and extinction of Mankind in a stone-closed systemic Earth 'Utopia', in at most 1,000 years (a far too optimistic length of time)!

Last edited:
Ad #143:

I give you a new/old physic! You cannot possibly have 'One World' ('1' (unity)) without two worlds (binary base2)! At once, the physic, the constant, of "big 'G'" (if you will)!

The other world?! The next "Frontier" opening! "The New World!" Else, "division" (+1 |0| -1) taking its '1/2' portion rippingly, violently, out of the guts of some closed systemic "unity (*1*)!"

(Big Crunch/Big Bang)
------------------------------

Borrowing from, and paraphrasing, C. S. Lewis: "Aim at the heavens, the outer frontiers, and you get Earth thrown in. Aim at Earth and you get neither."

("If you fight dragons long enough, you become a dragon: If you stare into the Abyss, the Abyss will stare back into you," -- Friedrich Nietzsche.)

Last edited:

DrRaviSharma said​

"Which theory whether BB or only local BB will survive next 50 years is the question?

Electroweak, Higgs field, Quantum Gravity with information content and cognition-entity common to all interpretations, will determine relevance and proofs of new understanding and theories, yet taking sides is one way to push an argument to its logical conclusion, for example classical mechanics did serve its propose for ages and still does for most practical purposes."

What is local BB?

The BB has been around for close to 100 Years.
Government funding has played an important role in supporting the BB.
For years the Gov would not fund many projects unless they agreed with the BB.
Religion has also played a role in supporting the BB.

[Submitted on 29 Apr 2024]

Did the Big Bang and cosmic inflation really happen? (A tale of alternative cosmological models)​

Marcin Postolak
A popular science article designed to introduce people familiar with basic cosmological nomenclature with models alternative to cosmological inflation. The paper briefly discusses the modern view of the Big Bang model, inflation (both its advantages and potential deficiencies). This is followed by a discussion of historical alternative models and modern approaches such as matter bounce, ekpyrotic Universe, Conformal Cyclic Cosmology, Hartle-Hawking state and loop quantum cosmology. The final aspect of the paper is to present the advantages and potential problems associated with alternative models and to present the conceptual challenges associated with the uniqueness of cosmology as a specific domain of physics.

Catastrophe

The BB has been around for close to 100 Years.
Government funding has played an important role in supporting the BB.
For years the Gov would not fund many projects unless they agreed with the BB.
Religion has also played a role in supporting the BB.

[Submitted on 29 Apr 2024]

Did the Big Bang and cosmic inflation really happen? (A tale of alternative cosmological models)​

Marcin Postolak

Harry, I had difficulty with this link, so here is direct link. Hope this is OK :)

Diagrams courtesy Wiki.

View: https://imgur.com/a/G3bj0fI

View: https://i.imgur.com/cKMFrcA.png

Think of these in relation to Hirtle-Hawking and Figure 10.
The two dimensional image of the four dimensional Stein Bottle is not very accurate, but imagine a vessel with one surface which is both inside and outside, just as the Moebius Strip has only one surface, although it looks like two.
Just make a MS from one strip of paper, with half a twist. Start writing along the length of the strip and you will arrive back where you started, BUT you can keep on writing a second line and more, round and round. It is different from a cyclic system, in that there is continuity. Of course, with a model uiverse there would be a restart through the nexus, instead of a singularity.
The analogy is not perfect, but it suggests how a model universe remains in existence whilst recycling.

In general terms, mankind is nothing in relation to the Universe. It is presumptuous to assert that we can understand the whole history and workings of the Universe after 100 years of science. It is like generalising from the appearance of a grain of sand in the Sahara and saying that we understand in perfect detail the workings and history of the Solar System.
Give it another year or two :)

Last edited:
I must say. The papers that I post are not mine.
Also, some I do not agree with.
I try not to influence people with my ideas.
I will post papers that I think are worth reading and expanding people's knowledge on different ideas.

[Submitted on 15 May 2024]

Active Galactic Nuclei and STaR fOrmation in Nearby Galaxies (AGNSTRONG). I. Sample and Strategy​

Huynh Anh N. Le, Chen Qin, Yongquan Xue, Shifu Zhu, Kim Ngan N. Nguyen, Ruisong Xia, Xiaozhi Lin
We introduce our project, AGNSTRONG (Active Galactic Nuclei and STaR fOrmation in Nearby Galaxies). Our research goals encompass investigating the kinematic properties of ionized and molecular gas outflows, understanding the impact of AGN feedback, and exploring the coevolution dynamics between AGN strength activity and star formation activity. We aim to conduct a thorough analysis to determine whether there is an increase or suppression in SFRs among targets with and without powerful relativistic jets. Our sample consists of 35 nearby AGNs with and without powerful relativistic jet detections. Utilizing sub-millimeter (sub-mm) continuum observations at 450 {\mu}m and 850 {\mu}m from SCUBA-2 at the James Clerk Maxwell Telescope, we determine star-formation rates (SFRs) for our sources using spectral energy distribution (SED) fitting models. Additionally, we employ high-quality, spatially resolved spectra from UV-optical to near-infrared bands obtained with the Double Spectrograph and Triple Spectrograph mounted on the 200-inch Hale telescope at Palomar Observatory to study their multiphase gas outflow properties. This paper presents an overview of our sample selection methodology, research strategy, and initial results of our project. We find that the SFRs determined without including the sub-mm data in the SED fitting are overestimated by approximately 0.08 dex compared to those estimated with the inclusion of sub-mm data. Additionally, we compare the estimated SFRs in our work with those traced by the 4000Å break, as provided by the MPA-JHU catalog. We find that our determined SFRs are systematically higher than those traced by the 4000Å break. Finally, we outline our future research plans.

Catastrophe

As far as I can determine, it seems that anything attributable after t = 0 (immediately before BB) can be equally applied to a t = 0 where a so-called singularity can be replaced by a nexus connecting with a previous phase of the Cyclic Universe, This is not to suggest that other variations of this event are not possible.

Any comments?

Catastrophe

Harry, a problem with words here. Yes and no.

Let me take the simplest 2D analogy.
The Moebius Strip represents the 4D Universe. However, at some point in the strip there must be provision for the BB>BH>BB>BH sequence.
This would mean taking place at different points in space-time (time, if you like). Does that answer your question?

As far as I can determine, it seems that anything attributable after t = 0 (immediately before BB) can be equally applied to a t = 0 where a so-called singularity can be replaced by a nexus connecting with a previous phase of the Cyclic Universe, This is not to suggest that other variations of this event are not possible.

Any comments?

"Any comments?" Yes, Cat.

The constant is change ('0' (null unity (division(s)))) . . . with one exception ('1' (unity)).

((+1) (-1)) = 1/0.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts