Bigelow Aerospace to offer $760 million for spaceship

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

spacelifejunkie

"$35M doesn't include the Dragon capsule"<br /><br />Let's not forget that SpaceX had a $260 million cash grant from NASA to do just that, build the Dragon and the F9 to lift it. <br /><br />The real question is...<br /><br />Can they do the NASA demo flights and the 8 Bigelow flights for $1.02 Billion?<br /><br /><br />SLJ

D

docm

I would expect that if they can make the economic case <i>without</i> Bigelow's money then <i>having it</i> would be sauce for the goose.<br /><br /><font color="yellow">$35M doesn't include the Dragon capsule</font><br /><br />IF, as expected, it's reusable it would be cheaper per flight than a disposable tin can. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

J

jimfromnsf

The NASA demo flights are not with a vehicle capable of carrying a crew. Just cargo in a sealed compartment

D

docm

Dragon is modular and designed so they can swap out the cargo racks for seats, plug in the pilot controls and it's a manned spacecraft. Ergo; it's a configuration difference and not like having to build two different spacecraft. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

S

spacelifejunkie

"The NASA demo flights are not with a vehicle capable of carrying a crew. Just cargo in a sealed compartment "<br /><br />I'm sure the manned launches will cost more and take longer to develop but does it really matter that much when you consider that SpaceX could have $1.02 Billion for 11 total launches? Eleven F9's will cost $385 million. If two of those are F9 Heavies for BA, add another $110 million plus F9 Heavy development overhead. How much should be factored in for the manned version of the Dragon? It won't be enough to prevent SpaceX from making a profit in space.<br /><br />Also, if the demo flights work, NASA will give out a COTS 2 contract worth at least another billion. Also, Bigelow's subsequent contracts will be worth billions for flights beyond the first 8 he is defining now.<br /><br />The fun part of this conversation is that billions of dollars in contracts are available that were only dreamed of a decade ago. My how things change.<br /><br /><br />SLJ

J

jimfromnsf

"Dragon is modular and designed so they can swap out the cargo racks for seats, plug in the pilot controls and it's a manned spacecraft."<br /><br />not so. the cargo version is missing many systems among them, a life support support system. It is not the same as a cargo/passenger plane. The two versions may share some of the same parts but it is not an easy conversion<br /><br />The cargo version is the only one being used for COTS

J

jimfromnsf

"The fun part of this conversation is that billions of dollars in contracts are available that were only dreamed of a decade ago. My how things change. "<br /><br />Putting the cart in front of the horse. Falcon 1 hasn't flown successfully, F9 hasn't fired 1 engine. <br /><br />BA hasn't flown a real station yet

D

docm

<font color="yellow"><b>To ensure a rapid transition from cargo to crew capability, the cargo and crew configurations of Dragon are almost identical</b>, with the exception of the crew escape system, the life support system and onboard controls that allow the crew to take over control from the flight computer when needed. </font><br /><br />Sounds like it's relatively plug-n-play to me. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

B

Boris_Badenov

<font color="yellow"> The NASA demo flights are not with a vehicle capable of carrying a crew. Just cargo in a sealed compartment <br /><br />The cargo version is the only one being used for COTS </font><br /><br /> Space News <br />"As part of a top secret project, we've already built a prototype flight crew capsule, including a thoroughly tested 30-man-day-life-support system, which is sitting on our factory floor right now," Musk told Space News. "<br /><br /><br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#993300"><span class="body"><font size="2" color="#3366ff"><div align="center">. </div><div align="center">Never roll in the mud with a pig. You'll both get dirty & the pig likes it.</div></font></span></font> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts