Billionaire hosts girlfriend contest for 'first woman to the moon' and (shocker) people hate it

Dec 23, 2019
Visit site
LMAO! I think this is hilarious! Both the concept and people losing their minds over it.
Look at the facts people.
Space X is notorious for setting target dates that they don't make. So I wouldn't worry about this trip actually happening in 2023.
If by some miracle it does happen, it's a round trip. The "girlfriend" might be the first woman to go TO the moon, but she will not be the first woman ON the moon. That will still be an American astronaut.
And if the "girlfriend" is the first woman to go to the moon, everyone on the planet will know she was a sideshow, an object, a trophy, not an astronaut in the true sense of the word.

Reactions: neutrino78x
Jan 15, 2020
Visit site
The sad comedy in this avalanche of derision - directed at what should be getting enthusiastic kudos for an incredibly positive romantic gesture - lies in what it reveals about the comically-misnamed "feminists" (they're more accurately termed "masculinists,") who are throwing their bitter little spitballs at anyone who dares to pursue happiness: A profound insecurity with their own gender.

To choose (that's: choose,) to take mortal offense at the prospect of the first woman going to the moon for romance rather than a professional task, is only a statement a.) that these critics' sense of self-worth is so fragile that their concept of womanhood absolutely cannot take the form of anything other than strident activism for the gender-tribe, b.) that romance - and indirectly, individuality and human happiness per se - are somehow valueless, and c.) of an apparent bigotry against heterosexuality that's at least as virulent as bigotry against homosexuality.

Ironically, it's a lurch back to the mores and attitudes of the Dark Ages. Which - even more ironically - makes these bitter prunes the ultimate conservatives.

Again, this is one of the most stand-up-and-cheer spectacular romantic gestures I've ever heard of - something that should be applauded. Unfortunately, we live in an age of militant irrationalism and reflexive hatred of anyone who does not subscribe to the toxic group-think tribalism - including gender-tribalism - that has been shoveled into the heads of unsuspecting (and apparently uncritical) American students for the better part of the last two decades.

I hope Maezawa-san ignores these bitter, unhappy Western haters, follows his romantic dream, and shares that dream with one fortunate lady.

Jan 15, 2020
Visit site
I hope Maezawa-san ignores these bitter, unhappy Western haters, follows his romantic dream, and shares that dream with one fortunate lady.
I dont see how you think it's a 'romantic gesture' when a rich guy asks every girl that wants to 'join him' to enter a contest for one 'lucky' winner. I'm not offended, but it's kinda sleazy the way he is doing it.
I do agree with people giving it backlash. Let me ask you and anyone who reads this, should the first women to step foot on the moon be a person who entered a contest and got 'lucky' or a person who worked toward it and earned it

Jan 15, 2020
Visit site
Well its his money and he is funding the project, so he should be able to take whomever he wants.
If every rich person did what they wanted the world history and the world would be tainted. When it comes to things like being the first(especially in space). It should be treated with respect and the first should be someone who has worked for it.

Jan 15, 2020
Visit site
This kind of gossip news is infuriating for a site about science and engineering. Feel free to report the topic, but don't use a condemning tone or try to tell us it's a fiasco or '(shocker) people hate it'. Impartial coverage would be more appropriate, and I'm not sure Space.com is the right place for any mention of Twitter tantrums.

This article claims that 'most people have negative feelings' without doing proper due diligence. It is not based on a poll but who is motivated enough to respond on Twitter. That's an unfair and often inaccurate metric as a few angry voices will override more representative ones.

I did appreciate the logic-share of why some people didn't like the idea, however, my thought is still that if a billionaire pays tens to hundreds of millions of dollars for a Starship test flight around the moon they can fill the rocket with whoever they please (with consent) just like if I buy ten tickets to the concert.

The funding Maezawa provided SpaceX is an invaluable bet in furthering human-kind's space capabilities. He's clearly a good guy trying to do good things with his philanthropy. Let's not smear his name to get click-bait ratings please.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dispersia
Jan 15, 2020
Visit site
I dont see how you think it's a 'romantic gesture' when a rich guy asks every girl that wants to 'join him' to enter a contest for one 'lucky' winner. I'm not offended, but it's kinda sleazy the way he is doing it.
I do agree with people giving it backlash. Let me ask you and anyone who reads this, should the first women to step foot on the moon be a person who entered a contest and got 'lucky' or a person who worked toward it and earned it
This is your, Zatguyz', projection of your own perception, on someone who has shown exactly zero evidence of what that jaded perception tries to portray.

In principle, what Maezawa is doing here is no different than posting his profile on an online dating site and saying "If we click, I want to take you to dinner and a movie." Except in his case the "dinner and a movie" is raised to epic proportions thanks to what he's achieved - that's: achieved - financially. More power to him.

[On a tangential issue, I reject out of hand this unspoken presumption, parrotted by Gohd, that space travel and the "firsts" that occur in its context, comprise some kind of quasi-religious Holy Ground - which must not be trod upon by anyone other than The Select Holy Icons of pre-approved Group-Think Dispersity And Exclusion, on behalf of The Cause. These people seem to think that every action taken in space has to be some kind of Holy Event which can only be undertaken under some irrelevant, external (read: political) entity's dogmatic strictures, so as to create An Historic Footnote for All Posteriority (typo intended.) Umm, no. If these monument-creation-obsessives want to plot and fume while the rational world passes them by, let them. ]

Similarly, the imputation of "sleazy" is entirely your own perception and ought to be embarrassing in what it reveals. To carelessly lob it at this guy Maezawa Yusaku with zero evidence in support of the proposition, is what most people refer to as: a smear.

Which brings up another thing I see, over and over again, in these overt, self-styled "PC" mentalities: The unquestioned presumption that everybody else (except the Omniscient One who's making the accusation, of course,) is too stupid to make a rational judgment, in this case on a prospective girlfriend's character and intentions. Oh, nonono. Omniscient One says: "I and only I know she's automatically going to be a gold-digger, that Maezawa is too clueless to make his own choices, and that therefore he should not be allowed even to speak of such an idea." To call this attitude "patronizing" would be redundantly obvious. And just maybe an understatement.

The related presumption - that if Maezawa finds a lady with whom there's mutual attraction and approval, that she hasn't "earned it" - is again a yardstick trotted out by bitter others, not Maezawa, which means: more incredible arrogance. How about you - and Gohd - present your own personal view of How Romantic Love Must Be Valued, and defend it in debate here?

What is the official, omniscient dollar value of romantic love, and how does it stack up against whatever activity you and Gohn condescendingly deem as worthy of the designation "earned?" As others have pointed out here, this is Maezawa's own personal cash, nobody else's, and obviously romantic love is something he values more than the cash it will take to fly two around the Moon. Which means that if he meets a lady he values highly enough to merit romantic interest, ispo facto she has indeed "earned it." To recap: For most of the rational people of Earth, adherence to dogmatic political radicalism and activism on its behalf, is a small-to-nonexistent priority. Romance, on the other hand, is a profound value for most of the semi-sane human race.

So here's the other perspective:
I'm thinking that a guy smart enough to have founded a wildly successful 'net entity is... probably smart enough to choose a good, decent person as a romantic interest. Just a wild guess. To assume he's not, is breathtaking arrogance - to say nothing of the vapid group-think out of which Chelsea Gohd constructed her apoplectic little hit-piece.

Frankly I'm stunned at the corrupt intellectual hate-grunge that's been unearthed by something which is, again, utterly innocuous and stand-up-and-cheer romantic. The cynicism of it all is borderline pathology.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawkstein
Jan 10, 2020
Visit site
This kind of gossip news is infuriating for a site about science and engineering. Feel free to report the topic, but don't use a condemning tone or try to tell us it's a fiasco or '(shocker) people hate it'. Impartial coverage would be more appropriate, and I'm not sure Space.com is the right place for any mention of Twitter tantrums.

This article claims that 'most people have negative feelings' without doing proper due diligence. It is not based on a poll but who is motivated enough to respond on Twitter. That's an unfair and often inaccurate metric as a few angry voices will override more representative ones.

I did appreciate the logic-share of why some people didn't like the idea, however, my thought is still that if a billionaire pays tens to hundreds of millions of dollars for a Starship test flight around the moon they can fill the rocket with whoever they please (with consent) just like if I buy ten tickets to the concert.

The funding Maezawa provided SpaceX is an invaluable bet in furthering human-kind's space capabilities. He's clearly a good guy trying to do good things with his philanthropy. Let's not smear his name to get click-bait ratings please.

Jan 10, 2020
Visit site
I agree Dr Fun. Why on earth are people so concerned. There are more important issues to discuss than the fact that Maezawa wishes any future girlfriend to accompany him. Has it occurred to critics just how dangerous this proposed trip will be?

Latest posts