Black Hole at the center of the Milky Way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

Zafaron

<p>&nbsp; I did a search of the forum for this question and I wasn't able to find one, so please forgive me if it's been asked before, I really don't mean to add unnecessary clutter.&nbsp; I'm not a scientist, so much of what I am asking is based on speculation and things that I have seen in the various media and television shows.</p><p>&nbsp; Scientists now believe that there is a black hole at the center of most galaxies including our own.&nbsp; And unless I'm mistaken, the earth is supposed to be very close to the center of our galaxy in the year 2012.&nbsp; From what I could find out, the earth seems to pass close to the center of the galaxy every 26,000 years, so this wouldn't be an isolated event.&nbsp; So, my question is, what happens when we get that close to a black hole?&nbsp; Would it be close enough for the gravity of the black hole to have any effect on the planet?&nbsp; We know it wouldn't destroy the earth of course, because the planet is much older than 26,000 years. &nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp; The Mayan calendar is a pretty popular topic now, because of the predicted end of the world on December 21st 2012.&nbsp; I don't think that the world is going to suddenly be destroyed, but I do wonder if maybe some extreme tidal situations might be caused by the extra gravity.&nbsp; Or if the Earth's orbit of the sun might be temporarily sped up or slowed down because the Sun might accellerate when it completes its orbit of the black hole.</p><p>&nbsp;&nbsp; Some edjucated answers about the subject would be nice.&nbsp; I'm curious about just what we might expect to see.&nbsp; </p>

M

Mee_n_Mac

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'> And unless I'm mistaken, the earth is supposed to be very close to the center of our galaxy in the year 2012.&nbsp; From what I could find out, the earth seems to pass close to the center of the galaxy every 26,000 years, so this wouldn't be an isolated event.&nbsp; So, my question is, what happens when we get that close to a black hole?&nbsp; Posted by <strong>Zafaron</strong></DIV><br /><br />While there maybe&nbsp;a black hole at the center of the Milky Way, we aren't ever going to get close to it.&nbsp; Imagine that our galaxy is shaped like a plate with a gob of jello at the center of&nbsp;the plate.&nbsp; The black hole is in the center of that gob. We are about 3/5s of the distance from the center of the plate to the edge.&nbsp; When people talk about the solar system going through the center of the galaxy they don't mean going inwards (radially) towards the gob.&nbsp; They mean going "up and down" through the thickness of the plate, being slightly above the top surface of the plate some millenia and being slightly below the bottom surface of the plate in other millenia.&nbsp; We're always about 3/5s of the MW's radius away from the center you're thinking of.</p><p>There are many posts here that explain the hoax that is the whole Mayan 2012 crap. Here's one.</p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>-----------------------------------------------------</p><p><font color="#ff0000">Ask not what your Forum Software can do do on you,</font></p><p><font color="#ff0000">Ask it to, please for the love of all that's Holy, <strong>STOP</strong> !</font></p> </div>

Z

Zafaron

&nbsp;&nbsp; Thanks for the clarification.&nbsp; I like how they use geographical center to explain things, when they are speaking of only one plane.&nbsp; It reminds me to question everything.<br />

Status
Not open for further replies.