black hole rotation

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

spacehugo

First, thanks to all the guru`s . I´m wondering about what will happen if we(theoretical) could take stand at a given point in a galaxy, relatively close to the black hole and take no part in the rotation of the galaxy, and from this point we shoot an object with no degenerated mass/material, directly at the black hole. what will happen to the mass.

one little crazy thought, if we from the same point , lowered a metal cable to the event horizon and touch this, will electrical power return to me when mass in the cable is degenerated and electrons try to escape.?

M

mabus

I'm assuming since you asked about THE black hole, and the galaxy, that you are refering to the black hole at the center of some (all?) galaxies. You should note that such a black hole really isn't any different from any other black hole other than that, because of it's age and location (at the center of the greatest mass of the galaxy) that it is naturally going to be larger than most black holes further out away from the center of the galaxy.

As for shooting in an object with "no degenerated mass/material" you'd probably need to clarify this a little to get more of a response, but suffice it to say that anything (including massless light) that encounters a black hole's event horizon will get sucked into the black hole. The black hole will absorb it's mass. Eventually the mass will be leaked back into the galaxy/universe through something called "Hawking Radiation" and over time the black hole would be expected to eventually evaporate, but that is beyond the scope of your question.

S

spacehugo

from our point of view in space, do all black hole spin/rotate and if so , do they spin/rotate in the same direction and furthermore if they all spin/rotate in the same direction(or not), do we know what is the factor who decide in which direction it should spin ?

R

ramparts

Black holes can rotate. Chances are that in reality all black holes have some rotation, but a non-rotating black hole is possible at least in theory. As for whether they spin in the same direction... I mean, you can look at any black hole from an angle where it's spinning, for example, clockwise in a vertical plane from your point of view, so it's not really meaningful to ask whether they spin in the same direction. In space, there is no absolute direction :)

M

Mordred

One question of the spin of a black hole I've seen some images where the accretion jet appears to be spinning oppsite the rotation of the hole itself Is this something else others have observed if so what would cause that different rotation?

F

Floridian

mabus":3shwpm8n said:
I'm assuming since you asked about THE black hole, and the galaxy, that you are refering to the black hole at the center of some (all?) galaxies. You should note that such a black hole really isn't any different from any other black hole other than that, because of it's age and location (at the center of the greatest mass of the galaxy) that it is naturally going to be larger than most black holes further out away from the center of the galaxy.

As for shooting in an object with "no degenerated mass/material" you'd probably need to clarify this a little to get more of a response, but suffice it to say that anything (including massless light) that encounters a black hole's event horizon will get sucked into the black hole. The black hole will absorb it's mass. Eventually the mass will be leaked back into the galaxy/universe through something called "Hawking Radiation" and over time the black hole would be expected to eventually evaporate, but that is beyond the scope of your question.

""Hawking Radiation""

That is totally baseless and unproven.

R

ramparts

Unproven, yes. Although I'd be very interested if you know of anything in science which is proven. But baseless? Most certainly not. It's based in several very well-tested branches of physics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts