Black Hole VS Anti Black Hole

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

leon2049

first let me say hi everyone, this is my first post.

basicaly this is a question i asked a bit back at yahoo answers but nobody really gave me a decent answer so i figured i would ask here. i study physics on my spare time as a hobby so i may lack specific information that may invalidate the question. if you notice such an inconsistancy please let me know so i can continue to learn.

ok basicaly from what i understand is that matter in a black hole is basicaly...that matter except its compressed to a point of infinet desity and surrounded by infinetly powerful gravity (at least past the eventhorizon or at the singularity) now heres the tricky part.

we have two diffrent kinds of matter. regular matter which we all know and love and then anti matter, the famous fule of the mighty enterprize. so now when matter and anti matter come together they basicaly destroy eachother releasing a huge amount of energy. now inmagine we have a black hole made of regular matter and then another black hole made of anti matter (lets just say it somehow wandered from another antimatter galaxy (if such a thing exsists somewhere) or for the sake of argument... screw it lets just say where god for now :D ) shouldnt these two objects destroy eachother in theory? releasing the equvilant energy of their combined masses?

if they can then that would be one way to say unlock a black hole or be able to get the matter (or energy at least) that fell into the holes originally. and if they cant, say they just merge like they regularly would then why not? do the electrical charges of the matter get lost once they enter the black hole since they basicaly "leave the universe" as is so offten said? or maybe (gets tricky again :? ) in theory they do cancel eachother out but the gravity wont let that energy leave and since time is said to be zero in a blackhole time would never flow so the explosion could never happen anyway?(or maybe it does in an infinetly long timeline) or again because time slows down and stop then technicaly the antimatter would never actualy make contactwith the regular matter so it would be frozen in time so to speak.

hope that makes sence to somebody. these are the kinds of things that keep me up at night :lol:

M

MeteorWayne

Unfortunately it really doesn't make much sence(sic)

Antimatter has the same gravity as regular matter.

If they intersected before the evnt horizon of a black hole, they would annaihilate each other and release a huge amount of energy.

What happens beneath the event horizon? I have no idea.

D

darkmatter4brains

MeteorWayne":37cz5tjf said:
Unfortunately it really doesn't make much sence(sic)

Wayne,

I hope you're not making fun of his spelling, especially given your next sentence in this post :lol:

MeteorWayne":37cz5tjf said:
If they intersected before the evnt horizon of a black hole, they would annaihilate each other and release a huge amount of energy.

S

Saiph

here's another way of looking at it:

Anti-matter is still matter...which is energy (e=Mc^2)

And energy ALSO bends space-time...thus has gravity.

So while the two forms of matter could annihilate eachtoher, they just turn into energy..which still bends space-time.

Also, the contents of a BH are no longer regular matter, the atoms are ripped into pieces, and compressed into....we have no idea what. At the very least the quarks that make up the matter, which are identicle in matter and anti-matter. The only difference is how the ratios of types between them.

L

leon2049

first of all yes i know i have bad spelling and im sorry, but dont let that get in the way of the validity of the question. and yes we already know anti matter and regular matter release huge amounts of energy when they come into contact, that is the purpose of this post. that if large amounts of energy are release within a black hole is it possible that the black hole will stop being a black hole? and if not then why not?

Please refrain for commenting that you dont know what happens after you pass the event horizon as that is the whole purpose of this post. (basicaly making any such comment spam)

if it is possible than this would have intresting applications far into the future once man has learned to control such forces. it would be a kind of mixed blessing (as most things are) as it would be the ultimate for of energy storage allowing you to store TONS of matter in a practicaly microscopic space. however it would also allow man to create microscopic gigaton bombs which would be an unsettling idea indeed.

S

Saiph

hmmm, try re-reading my post just above...or maybe I wasn't as clear as I thought I was, so I shall try again :)

The energy released stays in the BH, and affects space-time the same was as the mass it was created from. So there is no change in the black hole if there is a matter/anti-matter reaction inside the event horizon.

Light falling into a BH increases its gravity.

K

kg

Is there any similarity between the question posted by leon and Hawking radiation?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawking_radiation
"...A slightly more precise, but still much simplified, view of the process is that vacuum fluctuations cause a particle-antiparticle pair to appear close to the event horizon of a black hole. One of the pair falls into the black hole whilst the other escapes. In order to preserve total energy, the particle that fell into the black hole must have had a negative energy (with respect to an observer far away from the black hole). By this process, the black hole loses mass, and, to an outside observer, it would appear that the black hole has just emitted a particle..."

I was never clear on this concept. The antiparticle falls back into to the black hole removing mass from it and the particle excapes? How is this different then leon2049s question about dropping antimatter into a black hole?

S

Saiph

His question is often one that comes up when people hear about hawking radiation. It puzzled me for a while when I first heard about it, when I was starting out in astronomy.

The key is that the captured particle is random, so you've a 50/50 chance of it being either matter, or anti-matter. If that's the case, and the it was the anti-matter particle causing the problem....we'd have no net loss over a large number of instances. That's why it didn't sit right we me, and probably puzzles most people on some level. Whether people conciously recognize it or not, they often have an intuitive grasp of this sorta thing.

No, the energy loss is from the net energy in the system, you could think of it as a binding energy. The vacuum loans enough energy to pop out 2 particles, and the energy to bind them together. Very shortly afterwards they combine, and all that energy is given back.

But if a BH nabs one of them, and keeps it, they can't recombine and pay back the loan...and that energy HAS to come from somewhere...and it comes from the BH. The BH pays in mass (same as energy remember) the cost to create one of the particles, and the binding energy.

Notice how I didn't specify which particle? It doesn't matter.

V

Vax

Well in a hypathetical situation wouldn't matter making contact with it's anti-matter be kind've like matter catching it's own shadow? Would there be a large release of energy? Or will they just cancel eachother out?

M

MeteorWayne

It's a huge release of energy. The particle annihilate each other and release the total energy following E= MC^2

V

Vax

I see.. Well I hope we live long enough to record one of those sightings down. Okay, I guess I got another one. I don't really understand how it is possible for the unstable anti-matter to exist in a stable real-matter universe (well somewhat stable, enough for you and me)?

M

MeteorWayne

They happen all the time. Above the core of the Milky Way is a fountain of antimatter that is detroyed when it hits normal matter, releasing a charachteristic emission (511 kEV, IIRC) which shows us that's what it is.

Antimatter can exist just fine...until it hits a piece of normal matter, then it's Poof!

M

mabus

MeteorWayne":2pcniqyg said:
They happen all the time. Above the core of the Milky Way is a fountain of antimatter that is detroyed when it hits normal matter, releasing a charachteristic emission (511 kEV, IIRC) which shows us that's what it is.

Do you have a source on this? I have never heard of such a region being discovered and would be very interested in reading more about it.

M

MeteorWayne

I'll look to find one. It's been in peer reviewed journals (i.e. real science). I might not be able to do that until tomorrow since it's almost nap time so I can watch the Leonids this morning. If I don't get it today, I'll find one when I am functional tomorrow.

MW

K

kg

I think there might be some confusion here between anti-matter and virtual particles. Do I get this right? A virtual particle pops into existance along with it's virtual anti-particle by "borrowing" energy form a vaccume. They exist for some small length of time then recombine. When the virtual particle and anti-particle recombine they annihilate each other but all the energy (usually) goes back to the vaccume and no energy is released.

S

Saiph

the energy is released, there just isn't any 'gain' and goes to fill in the background again. There's some clever experiments out there that, if interpreted one way, can measure this.

I think that's one of the explainations for the Casimir effect. Though it isn't as ironclad as it's often described.

V

Vax

Well hopefully with the newer technologies we will be able to answer these questions.

K

Kessy

Matter and antimatter are not fundamentally different things. Every particle has a corresponding antiparticle which has properties that are all equal to but opposite in sign to the particle's properties. If a particle comes in contact with its antiparticle, the two will react to convert both into gamma photons. You should think of this as being like a chemical reaction - where the reactants are changed into something else, but nothing actually goes away. Photons have energy and momentum, and an apparent mass to those of us made of ordinary matter. Also, each particle will only react with its specific antiparticle. So, for example, if an electron came in contact with an antiproton, nothing would happen.

Now, when it comes to black holes, they do have electric charge and angular momentum, so I suppose it might in principle be possible for two of them to be antiparticles, but it wouldn't matter, for a couple reasons. Even if it's possible for singularities to undergo a matter antimatter reaction, the resulting photons would still have the same apparent mass as the original singularities, and would still be in a very compact configuration, and so would just instantly collapse back into a singularity.

The other thing is that because of gravitational time dilation, from our point of view, time stops at the event horizon, so we'd never see the collision of singularities happen. We'd just see the two black holes merge

One last point I want to make. Like I said, time appears to stop at the event horizon, so from our point of view the singularities never actually form - they're forever frozen in the moment of collapse. From the point of view of matter falling into the holes, we really *don't* know what happens. The matter would be compressed into such a small space that quantum effects would become very important, and we simply don't know how gravity would behave under those circumstances. That's why a unified theory of quantum gravity is physics' holy grail at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts