Boom! Japanese astronomer catches meteorite smashing into the moon (video)

The convention, I thought, was to label them meteoroids (or the larger asteroids) that smash into the Moon. Anything left would be the meteorite.

Otherwise, at what distance above the surface to they get the name change? It's like calling a tadpole a frog. :)

I believe a meteoroid is floating around in space, a meteor is burning in the atmosphere and a meteorite has touched the ground.
Ok, but a pedantic would argue that “smashing” is a process for a meteoroid. Once smashed, it’s a meteorite.

Ready-mix must harden before becoming concrete, though many ignore this view in most conversations.

An object in the process of deceleration is a meteor, having touched the surface is a meteorite. Therefore having touched the Moon and decelerating with a brilliant flash, the object is in a superposition of states. It is both meteor and meteorite at the same time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Helio
Mar 12, 2023
Visit site
With the higher frequency of impacts on the moon relative to Earth, I wonder how the possibility of multiple impacts on a permanent facility would be mitigated.

Mar 12, 2023
Visit site
Ok, but a pedantic would argue that “smashing” is a process for a meteoroid. Once smashed, it’s a meteorite.

Ready-mix must harden before becoming concrete, though many ignore this view in most conversations.
I'm okay with that so long as what the ready-mix hardens into isn't called a "cement" sidewalk!

Mar 12, 2023
Visit site
The meteor was probably sent by some intelligent life form to see if they could alter the orbit of the moon about the earth. You know, just in case they need to alter the path of a threatening space rock heading toward their planet. ;)

Apr 18, 2020
Visit site
Helo, why was there no trace light from travelling object which was exploding to that level?
Do you mean a streak of light as it fell, before impact?

On Earth, that is caused by the meteor being heated up by friction with the atmosphere, as it falls. The Moon has no atmosphere to speak of, therefore no heating and no light before impact.

Mar 17, 2023
Visit site
As others have commented here, this article is a mess with the hodge-podge uses of "meteorite" and "meteor". A meteor does not apply in the case of the moon, because it is the visible light caused by a *meteroid* entering the earth's atmosphere. Meteorites are only those objects to reach the ground. In the present case, we do not know if there are any "meteorites" that survived this impact on the moon (if that is indeed the explanation of this video, and not some spurious optical phenomenon), or if all that is left is dust/ice (as could be the case with the piece of a fragile comet). But any discussion of the object before the "flash" must be using the term "meteoroid" to be correct.

Mar 17, 2023
Visit site
It's nice to see meteor hitting the moon rather than hitting us.
Meteorite is the rock and when it's in motion it becomes a meteor.
no...... "meteorite" refers to stones that survive to reach the ground from a meteoroid impact; "meteor" does not apply to the moon because it's the visible light (i.e., "shooting star") of a meteoroid burning up upon entry into the earth's atmosphere. An object not impacting a planet's atmosphere or surface is called a meteoroid while it travels in space.

Apr 18, 2020
Visit site
no...... "meteorite" refers to stones that survive to reach the ground from a meteoroid impact; "meteor" does not apply to the moon because it's the visible light (i.e., "shooting star") of a meteoroid burning up upon entry into the earth's atmosphere. An object not impacting a planet's atmosphere or surface is called a meteoroid while it travels in space.
So you're saying a "meteor" is not a physical object at all, but rather a flash of light?

Correct. It’s a meteoroid when it’s a rock in an orbit, a meteor when it’s ‘burning’ in the atmosphere, and a meteorite if it manages to land on the ground. On airless bodies, it would skip the meteor phase as there is nothing to heat the object. Big rocks would be asteroids and small rocks would be meteoroids, I’m not sure where the turning point would be.
It would probably easier to just say a rock hit the moon, or a rock is burning up in Earth’s atmosphere.

I think there would be a sound boom. Interior to the surface. One should be able to "hear" it, or feel it, on the far side of impact. Possibly anywhere on the surface. An interior shock wave. It might even ring.

Reactions: Helio

Latest posts