Brian Aldiss explains what we got right/wrong about space

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q

qso1

Interesting link and article.<br /><br />Article excerpt:<br />True, in 1914 he had predicted something very like an atomic bomb in The World Set Free, but his bomb is dropped manually from a biplane.<br /><br />Me:<br />Not unlike people on this board expecting current concepts to materialize into the vehicles for interstellar travel. The most popular example being Orion as the vehicle to the stars often conjured up as the most feasible, economical way to do it.<br /><br />According to Aldiss, Welles and Asimov regarded himself as a prophet. This seems to be a characteristic of sci fi writers as I experienced it myself in my early years.<br /><br />I'm no major sci fi writer or anything like that, but I wrote and illustrated stories back in the 1970s and did a lot of stuff that was set in the 1980s and 1990s...even a little into this century.<br /><br />By the early 1980s, I realized prohecy was mostly B.S. and I came to see what I was doing as extrapolation and technical projection and I see it that way to this day and since I resumed writing and illustrating back in 1998.<br /><br />Very few of the things I foresaw came to pass. Some were things others had predicted that I more or less agreed would happen. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

Q

qso1

Passenger submarines, cars with aerodynamic wingtips on the roofline though I did that more or less on a lark. Manned mission to mars...Venus and mercury, all before Y2K. Supersonic transport in 86 IIRC, Hypersonic transports by 1994 and commercial spaceflight by 1996.<br /><br />And among the downers, limited nuclear war in 1986. I wrote that in 78.<br /><br />Non of this stuff ever got published because I didn't try to publish them...good thing too. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts