British Space Plane Concept

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

docm

The key part is the engine and if they get it working at an economical price it'll be quite the revolution.

A

annodomini2

The LACE Engine which is the core of the skylon was developed in the 80s by the same people for the british government and was classified.

Which suggests it is more than likely a reality

The supposed differences between that and the reaction engines version is the capability to acquire oxygen to achieve orbital velocity, the original was designed to power a cruise missle.

Which if you read their website is what their research is focusing on.

They are also working on a hypersonic passenger plane for the European government utilising similar technology.

From what I have seen this is the only realistic SSTO proposal shown in the public domain to date.

C

calispacecadet

My first post, it seems i am now required to be a member to read all your posts here. I have been a lurker for a loonng time. :lol:

I read this article today, and I think its a very exciting development.

The design of the craft is absolutely beautiful and the technical aspects are certainly feasible.

Q

qraal

The_Chef":p6d3ij5o said:
If they can validate this technology chemical rockets are outdated.

http://www.space.com/businesstechnology ... plane.html

It's a rocket most of the way to orbit, so how are chemical rockets outdated?

And it's really a living-up to the potential of air-augmented rockets, which have been advocated since the 1960s. So it's not so much a break-through as *finally* a break-in for an ignored design concept.

T

The_Chef

qraal":2kne0nk0 said:
The_Chef":2kne0nk0 said:
If they can validate this technology chemical rockets are outdated.

http://www.space.com/businesstechnology ... plane.html

It's a rocket most of the way to orbit, so how are chemical rockets outdated?

And it's really a living-up to the potential of air-augmented rockets, which have been advocated since the 1960s. So it's not so much a break-through as *finally* a break-in for an ignored design concept.

Back again so soon jim?

B

Blackfire

i really hope they succeed with this, it's long overdue in my opinion. :)

N

newsartist

Originally posted on this date, in "Aviation".
by dryson » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:46 pm

I was reading about the Skylon at http://www.reactionengines.co.uk/. It seems like a noteworthy project to discuss and bring into use. Although not the shuttle it would reduce the cost of sending craft manned by humans into space which costs millions extra because of the life support systems, involved. Of noteable remarks is the Sabre Engine it uses. Able to use a conventional jet engine while in the Earth's atmopshere but when it travels into space uses stored chemical fuel. I see a great potential in this type of design as it can be recovered and used again which saves on the waste of sending stage style rockets into space, which allows for more money to be spent in other areas that would have been lost in the spent stage's of another type of rocket. I can also see a human delivery type as well being developed that would ferry humans into space, unload them at a station and then return to Earth or kept on station as a return craft.

A

annodomini2

newsartist":3paqiufy said:
Originally posted on this date, in "Aviation".
by dryson » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:46 pm

I was reading about the Skylon at http://www.reactionengines.co.uk/. It seems like a noteworthy project to discuss and bring into use. Although not the shuttle it would reduce the cost of sending craft manned by humans into space which costs millions extra because of the life support systems, involved. Of noteable remarks is the Sabre Engine it uses. Able to use a conventional jet engine while in the Earth's atmopshere but when it travels into space uses stored chemical fuel. I see a great potential in this type of design as it can be recovered and used again which saves on the waste of sending stage style rockets into space, which allows for more money to be spent in other areas that would have been lost in the spent stage's of another type of rocket. I can also see a human delivery type as well being developed that would ferry humans into space, unload them at a station and then return to Earth or kept on station as a return craft.

[pedant mode= on]

Its not a Jet, its a type of air breathing rocket motor know as a Liquid Air Cycle Engine

[pedant mode = off]

Status
Not open for further replies.